Benny Williams dismissed from program | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Benny Williams dismissed from program

I just watched "the bump" for the first time. Am I missing something? It looks like there's a good chance it was completely incidental and wasn't on purpose.
agreed ...it was nothing

this snt about that

i defended benny a lot on here but I was wrong

hope he can turn it around elsewhere, though

(I hpe this move is an indication of major roster flux this offseason, too)

Gotta wonder what impact has been on both Benny & Cope sitting on the bench as Red continues to start JT and Bell over them and both JT & Bell doing almost nothing. Could definitely result in Cope transfer it.

I mean, I love Cope and he's had his moments but neither he or Benny have been consistent enough for the lack of starting to be some sort of travesty. Like most have said on this thread, Red needed to do this to reassert some discipline into the program, and if anybody on the team has a problem with that best of luck. Nobody on this roster is irreplaceable.

Gotta wonder what impact has been on both Benny & Cope sitting on the bench as Red continues to start JT and Bell over them and both JT & Bell doing almost nothing. Could definitely result in Cope transfer it.
I'd take JT over Benny. Benny is slow. Everything he does is ponderous. Last game his shot was a rope.

I get Benny needing to be removed from the team but why do it now? Why not just wait a month when the season is over and let him transfer.

Did anything specific happen after the Wake game that led to this? Seems like Red is just punting the rest of the season to make a statement
No. It had to be made now. To let it pass would be a signal to the rest of the guys that you can get away with his behavior. Red isn't just coaching for the rest of this rather meaningless season. He is coaching and setting the standard of what is acceptable behavior and what isn't. This sends a message.

Sad day in one way and a great in another for Benny.
JB Red his teammates, the administration, and fans have been extremely supportive of him. It's obvious Red and the entire staff love Benny. Unfortunately even with those we love sometimes the best solution is the hardest. Years from now I believe Benny will be incredibly better for this.
Hats off to everyone involved in this young man's life for supporting him, and for helping him today as this is for his own good.

I'd take JT over Benny. Benny is slow. Everything he does is ponderous. Last game his shot was a rope.
Given a choice I would take neither.

I do. My twins are turning 4 in June. They're kids, and I treat them like the kids they are. Benny is a grown-ass man who's old enough to act like it.

Weird comment.
Your mind will be different when they are 20. I’m there with my son right now. Handling emotions isn’t always their forte at that age.

You can question Copeland not starting, but I’m not sure you can question Benny. If you’ve had that many incidents of behavioral issues you can’t be counted on and you shouldn’t start.

The same behavior issues happened last year when he did start. I said this a bunch, but the board always overrated him as a player. I remember seeing him his freshman year and the same weaknesses I saw then(flat shot/no handle) still exist. He’s a good athlete. He was never a good basketball player.

Last edited:
No. It had to be made now. To let it pass would be a signal to the rest of the guys that you can get away with his behavior. Red isn't just coaching for the rest of this rather meaningless season. He is coaching and setting the standard of what is acceptable behavior and what isn't. This sends a message.
Totally agree, dash. If you assume that the multitude of things we have seen with Benny are just the tip of the iceberg, Red had to act. He has recruited many of these guys and has been their buddy. He can’t allow them to take advantage of that.

Another example of Red making a statement:

We all love Q and know that almost every game there will be a flashy move that goes nowhere, but when he pulled the pure hotdog move I said to myself “Red has to pull him for that.” Didn’t expect him to, but he did. Then, after they exchanged words, Red banished him to the end of the bench. He put him back in, but message sent.

Missing shots happens and is part of basketball but lack of discipline, lack of hustle, lack of team work, etc should never happen. Every guy on the team has been guilty of some of that at one time or another and sometimes several guys at once. And that’s just the stuff that we are privy to. Who knows what goes on at practice or off the court.

Based upon the last game plus Red’s presser and the move made with Benny, hopefully this is a turning point not just for Red the coach but what we see out of the team going forward. One can only hope.

I recall DeShaun Williams being given multiple second chances and for much more egregious issues.
MUCH more egregious issues

(said with no inside info on what Benny's done here)

Seems like a nice kid compared to some real knuckleheads whom have passed through the program.

MUCH more egregious issues

(said with no inside info on what Benny's done here)

Seems like a nice kid compared to some real knuckleheads whom have passed through the program.
Even nice kids run out of chances.

Last edited:
What are they supposed to do? They have rights to their own thoughts.
It is a different place in time. Kids have a voice and a forum and they need not fear repercussions. They would all get a Scholly somewhere else if they chose. I love the way Cope and Brown play. Starling seems like a gamer and may become one of the team leaders. We can all miss what Benny could hbave been as a player. It says something positive about him that his teammates liked him, at least in public.

Even nice kids run out chances.

Awkward Jesse Pinkman GIF by Breaking Bad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom