Benny Williams dismissed from program | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

Benny Williams dismissed from program

Responsible Adults??? Why…….we don’t let them drink until they’re 21……
But they can go to war and buy a weapon, weird that the age you became an adult changed in 80s, but only in America

Jesse's dad had a number, we met it, and then he shopped our offer, and came back for a second request, when we already thought we had a deal.

That's when you don't negotiate any more, because how many times will people shop your offer?
This stuff pisses me off when we were the ones who taught him all he knowes and gave him the chance that not a lot of schools would have. U make a deal u stick to it. The old man is a peice of crap if thats how it went. Good riddence.

Best of luck Benny, bummed it didn’t work out.

Red’s been preaching “Orange Standard” since he took over, this is a big step in that direction. No one is bigger than the program.

Entire program needs a wake up call, we’re looking at the first time since I think the 60s with 3 straight years without a tournament appearance.

This is a quantitative loss...not a qualitative loss...we'll miss the depth but other than that he added very little to this team...they have tried to change the arc in his shot for three years with no success...looked great in warm ups but a flat low arc front rim banger in games...we got excited for one lob dunk per game! How often did we cringe when he took that fall away jumper from 10 feet and banged the front rim every time!... and we have a scholarship number problem next year (this helps) . We need to get a consistent shooter from the portal ...maybe a mid major guy whose 3 point threat can open up the middle for some athletic guys. There is little chance we were going anywhere with or without Benny this year...time to look forward and build this team
On a team where defense was so critical. He fell for pump fakes every time !!!

One thing that probably contributed to Benny's behavior (and I have no inside information) is the coaching change. Red coaches the forwards so he is the one working with Benny and whenever there is any setbacks or problems Red played the good cop to JB's bad cop. Benny probably assumed once Red became HC, Red would be easier on him and no more dealing with JB, but Red has to make HC decisions now and be the bad cop and Benny couldn't adjust to it.

Not that this is an excuse but leadership changes can be tough on the existing team members for an internal hire because they got used to expecting that internal hire playing the good cop.

Benny is gone. Don’t see the reasoning in so many posters piling on him and the program. We were weak at rebounding before he left and we are more so after he left.

People don’t like JT and don’t see his worth. At least, he pulled down some rebounds when he had extended minutes. cant complain about his shooting when he gets 2-6 shots a game and most of them are not open. It is hard when the guards can’t find him whenever he is open

We had Sherman and from what I heard, JB was totally honest with Rice knowing he wanted to come here so Rice was told that Sherm was staying our #1pg. JB told him he thought he wouldn’t be happy sitting 2 years behind Douglas and he should make the best decision for himself. Both parties made the best decisions for their success.
Also, at the time they had Earl Duncan, who at that time was sitting out as a Frosh due to academics, but was a top recruit and were expecting big things, though it wasn't clear if he was best as a PG or SG yet.

Bennys issues if you listen to his interview and follow his story are deep. The kid needs counseling before he worries about his basketball future.

Good luck to Benny.

Jesse put in 4 years at SU. Glad he did. He stayed and battled forv4 years and went to get his $. Thank him for his 4 and glad he is making the $. Wish it was here but we all would be taking the significant raise.

Same applies to JG3. Lets not bash 4 year players who went for a bigger payday.

GO CUSE

I have a daughter with autism who is 31 now. At some point, you have to teach young people that they are not as "special" as they think they are, and the world is absolutely not going to tolerate much of the bullshit that they are able to get away with with their support network. Eventually, the world stops feeling sorry for you, and you have to own the actual outcomes attributable to your behavior.

Yeah I agree Matt but that’s not what we were really talking about earlier. Many 20/21 year old kids today from a social emotional (maturity) standpoint don’t handle decisions or situations the same way as someone in their 30s, 40s or 50s. That's why I called him a kid. Sure a 20 year old 'kid' is considered an adult but not really, since there are a number of things they're still not allowed to do. Nevertheless, I feel sorry for the kid and his personal issues and demons but I don't feel sorry for his punishment. He got what he deserved.

Last edited:
Good luck to Benny.

Jesse put in 4 years at SU. Glad he did. He stayed and battled forv4 years and went to get his $. Thank him for his 4 and glad he is making the $. Wish it was here but we all would be taking the significant raise.

Same applies to JG3. Lets not bash 4 year players who went for a bigger payday.

GO CUSE
I agree. The environment gives incentives for players to leave. Can't really fault them for that. They make their own decisions. As for Benny, it's a done deal for me. I said my peace earlier about it. I hope me makes out alright but I have moved on.

Taylor tries hard, but our coach doesn't coach to his strengths at all.
Ok, sounds good, what are the positions, spots, situations that he needs to be placed in by AA? Share please

Benny Williams is the least of Reds problems. The whole program needs a cleansing.
Lot of attitude issues on the whole roster. Bennys only part of it. I’m mostly concerned Red didn’t see the issues last year but perhaps there was more leadership with Girard and Jesse? Because there are zero leaders in the locker room now. Guys don’t listen to the coaches.

JT works hard but he can’t hit the side of a barn anymore.

Ok, sounds good, what are the positions, spots, situations that he needs to be placed in by AA? Share please

They need to run picks and screens for him, like they used to do for Trevor Cooney, or Buddy. They don't do that hardly at all. He needs space to get off his shot. They don't run any sets for him at all.

Yeah I agree Matt but that’s not what we were really talking about earlier. Many 20/21 year old kids today from a social emotional (maturity) standpoint don’t handle decisions or situations the same way as someone in their 30s, 40s or 50s. That's why I called him a kid. Sure a 20 year old 'kid' is considered an adult but not really, since there are a number of things they're still not allowed to do. Nevertheless, I feel sorry for the kid and his personal issues and demons but I don't feel sorry for his punishment. He got what he deserved.

You see, here's where I differ, and my sympathy is strained. Benny had a whole team of guys who, after 3 years, some of whom should be his friends. You don't act like such a punk among your peers. I can see him being frustrated with a coach; that's sports. But you don't pick fights with your teammates. I played organized sports for 11 years, including 3 years of college. You just don't do that.

One thing that probably contributed to Benny's behavior (and I have no inside information) is the coaching change.
His issues started under Jim. I don't think this was a coaching issue. I wish Benny all the luck finding a new spot for himself but I wouldn't think it will be easy for him, being kicked off a team that gave you multiple chances. He will likely have to settle for a much lesser team. That said, maybe that will work for him (hope it does).

You see, here's where I differ, and my sympathy is strained. Benny had a whole team of guys who, after 3 years, some of whom should be his friends. You don't act like such a punk among your peers. I can see him being frustrated with a coach; that's sports. But you don't pick fights with your teammates. I played organized sports for 11 years, including 3 years of college. You just don't do that.

You're talking about different issues. I have no knowledge of him fighting w/ teammates.

Lot of attitude issues on the whole roster. Bennys only part of it. I’m mostly concerned Red didn’t see the issues last year but perhaps there was more leadership with Girard and Jesse? Because there are zero leaders in the locker room now. Guys don’t listen to the coaches.

If anyone wonders why JT plays and starts this is why. My guess is he is the player doing what the coaches are asking of him unlike the other players and he is always working hard unlike other players. He may not be as skilled as other players on the team but it seems from the whispers going around he plays the way the coaches want them to play.

Mintz and Bell are the two that standout at not giving a crap a good amount of the time. And it's why I think Mintz isn't a winning player.

You're talking about different issues. I have no knowledge of him fighting w/ teammates.

It happened with Maliq at the beginning of the year. That was his first suspension.

They need to run picks and screens for him, like they used to do for Trevor Cooney, or Buddy. They don't do that hardly at all. He needs space to get off his shot. They don't run any sets for him at all.
I actually thought they have attempted to do this all year, especially early. I just think he lost confidence

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom