Best cuse game ever that you attended in person? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Best cuse game ever that you attended in person?

March 5, 1989 -- Syracuse beats Georgetown 82-76 in OT in the last game of the regular season.

It was also Sherman Douglas's last home game. The hoyas got up big and led by double digits for most of the game. The crowd was totally sitting on their hands until frosh David Johnson threw down a powerful offensive rebound dunk off of a Billy Owens miss over Dikembe Mutombo. Suddenly, there was a buzz in the crowd that game the team life, and they fought back from the double digit deficit to take the lead, eventually winning in overtime.

That it was Georgetown, two top 10 teams, etc. and Sherman's last home game made it special. But what made it unforgettable was the unbelievable comeback, and Jim Boeheim going to the PA system to address the crowd for throwing stuff on the court. I've watched this game easily 100 times over the years.

Best game I've ever attended live.

Runners up: the 1987 NCAA game against North Carolina, to earn a spot in the final four, and the 2003 Pitt game.

My favorite game? Every time this question comes up, I give my hated answer: 1978 The Orangemen lost to St. Bonaventure 70-69 in the ECAC playoff. Delmar Harrod would hit the game winning shot with 15 seconds left; Byrnes would get the ball for Syracuse and have the last shot (as he often did) and the ball rolled off the rim and out of bounds, giving the Bonnies the victory.

In no order
Houston in the Dome
6OT
UNC & U of F in the Meadowlands in 1987
Big John getting tossed out of the Dome
GMac's BET run.
The aforementioned Pitt and Gtown games.
Melo's coming out vs Memphis (we knew what we had)

We beat Georgetown in OT at the dome.I believe it was in 2009... The worst was the one I was unfortunate enough to attend at the MCI center this year.

We beat Georgetown in OT at the dome.I believe it was in 2009... The worst was the one I was unfortunate enough to attend at the MCI center this year.

Is this the game Jonny turned the ball over at the end of regulation with the game tied, leading to a fastbreak as the seconds ticked away? I remember the final shot hanging in the air for what seemed like days. I was in the student section at the time and aged 10 years.

Jonny/Devo then took over in OT.

6ot
Qfinal win over uconn in 06 BET
98 BET semi win over Johns on Blackwell's buzzer beater
95 over nova @ dome on Motens 3 late in the game

Kansas 2003
Nova for 34,616 (never has there been a better atmosphere)

2006 Villanova
2007 GTown - We all thought it would be enough to seal a tourney bid. Plus storming the court is fun to do when it's done right, and this was definitely one of those cases.
2008 Kansas - Great comeback job in a road atmosphere. Loved seeing Paul Harris with a killer chasedown block on a Sherron Collins layup and of course Flynn's late 3 to send it to OT. There were maybe 50 of us SU fans in a packed house of 18-19K.

There are probably three:

SU vs Houston, where if someone had said "Clyde Drexler will be one
of the greatest 50 players in NBA history", you'd say "Yup." And if the same
person had said "Hakeem Olajuwon will also be on that list", you'd have laughed.

SU vs Gtown in 1989.

SU vs UConn in 1994, where SU won 108-95, in a fantastic game.

Kev

6OT game.
UNC at MSG, just because that second half sure shut up the tarheels behind me.

Worst game: every single freakin' game against Pitt. That is some godawful, unwatchable basketball. So glad we won't have to play them anymore now that we're in the ACC.

What's that, now? Dammit.

Syracuse-Houston Phi Slamma Jama 1982. Drexler's dunk from the right sideline unbelievable

person had said "Hakeem Olajuwon will also be on that list", you'd have laughed.

SU vs Gtown in 1989.

Kev

I put the Houston game as my best. Drexler was superhuman. Hakeem had 3 fouls in the first 5 min of play.

My favorite game? Every time this question comes up, I give my hated answer: 1978 The Orangemen lost to St. Bonaventure 70-69 in the ECAC playoff. Delmar Harrod would hit the game winning shot with 15 seconds left; Byrnes would get the ball for Syracuse and have the last shot (as he often did) and the ball rolled off the rim and out of bounds, giving the Bonnies the victory.

Was that the infamous shoplifting at Sibley's game? Bonnies were very tough for us in the late 70's Sanders and Belcher I remember, I forgot about Harrod until this post.

Is this the game Jonny turned the ball over at the end of regulation with the game tied, leading to a fastbreak as the seconds ticked away? I remember the final shot hanging in the air for what seemed like days. I was in the student section at the time and aged 10 years.

Jonny/Devo then took over in OT.
It could be. The only part I remember is us blowing a lead...And of course going to Chuck's afterwards. I miss the old Chuck's.

SU vs Gtown in 1989.

Kev

This one. Don't think I've ever had more fun than the 108-95 game. Donyell Marshall was unstoppable, but Autry and Moten were better. Wallace had the late dunk and-one to clinch it.

Someone else mentioned the Kentucky game a couple weeks later. That was an underrated fun one, too. Again, Autry was stellar, the crowd was bonkers, and we beat another top-5 team.

Also:
Georgetown in '96 (Iverson got shut down and we won by 22),

Pittburgh in 2003,

Oklahoma in 2003 (honestly was an ugly game, but an awesome experience),

at West Virginia in 2010 (two top-10ish teams; can't think of a better place to win),

Connecticut in 2000 (after four years of "meh," electricity returned to the Dome; wild, wild night - could've beaten them by 40 if we'd kept our foot down; UConn from 1995 to 2000 was like what Georgetown had been to us ten years earlier...they'd just owned us),

Georgetown in 2012 - wasn't the prettiest game, but it was very loud and we did a good job covering for some mistakes by our underclassmen (exactly the opposite of the Georgetown loss the previous year); great shooting night for Joseph.

Indiana this year; I've never been more confident. We were just sitting at RFD grinning at Indiana fans in their silly pants before the game.

But not Wisconsin in 2012; absolutely not. March heat wave, was probably 90 degrees in the upper deck; horrible almost- gag job down the stretch; that last missed shot hung in the air for about a half hour and took ten years off my life. No.

[Also, I was neither there nor alive, but to the poster who mentioned the St. Valentine's Day massacre in the early '70s: yeah. I don't know anyone who was at that game who wouldn't list that in the top 3 or 5 games. Helped put us on the map.]

[Also, I was neither there nor alive, but to the poster who mentioned the St. Valentine's Day massacre in the early '70s: yeah. I don't know anyone who was at that game who wouldn't list that in the top 3 or 5 games. Helped put us on the map.][/quote]

I was at that game. Mike Lee, upon fouling out, drop kicked the ball about 20 rows into the stands. The Refs didn't see it, but just about everyone else did.

It could be. The only part I remember is us blowing a lead...And of course going to Chuck's afterwards. I miss the old Chuck's.

We were handling them pretty easily; up double-figures late. Those two (plus some incredible shooting by the bad Jon Wallace) let Georgetown back into the game, but we started to score again (and get a couple stops) in overtime. Roller coaster of a game.

Had to drive to Vermont afterward and was frustrated that a sure regulation win ended up in overtime. But then happy that we beat those guys (had been stuck sitting next to their student section for our loss at Verizon three weeks before and didn't want to see their traveling group enjoy another win at our expense).

The game in 1990 when John Thompson was ejected from the dome after the 3 technical. The dome was just crazy...

Same for me. That's my #1.

My #2 would be when we beat Arizona in the dome in maybe 1995? It was the first Syracuse game I ever took my now-wife to. Being from New Mexico, Arizona was a known quantity to her and it was super cool for us to beat them in her first ever Syracuse game - especially knowing how exceedingly rare of a game that really was (playing Arizona in the dome).

Kansas 2003- Fist ever headbut from a fellow , but unknown, fan
Georgetown 1990 - Billy "ice" Owens at the line to tie it
Boston College 1985 - Pearl's half court shot

2/1/03...I know it's been said, but the atmosphere for pretty much the entire second half was unreal.

We won that game with clutch FTs from JEREMY MCNEIL.

Reactions: cto
Living in Seattle I don't get to see them in person that often. I will say vs Michigan State at MSG for the Valvano classic.

Record setting Nova game in '10: Perfect series of events with three teams ahead of us unexpectedly going down earlier in the day, record crowd, Game Day against Nova who had our number at that point. Amazing.

Elite 8 in DC last March: I was in stunned silence the last two minutes, as it sunk in that this team was somehow going to the Final Four, and doing it on the Hoyas court where we were embarrassed three weeks earlier.

Both of these games were blowouts, so it wasn't because they were great games - just lots and lots of fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom