Best cuse game ever that you attended in person? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Best cuse game ever that you attended in person?

I think the most exiting game I saw live was a 108-95 defeat of UConn in the 1995 regular season. I do recall one Ray Allen had a pretty impressive drive down the lane and dunk and I distinctly remember turning to my buddy and saying "that guys pretty good"

Other games I liked I go with roadies. @NCSt. because they came WAAY back and thought they were going to beat us then Scoop bombed on em.

the 2004 @ Notre Dame where Billy E passed it to himself off of Chris Thomas' backside and our contingent chanted "WAL-ter REY-es" to the chagrin of the Irish homers

2008 @Memphis where Jonny Flynn had 15 of our first 17 points and wecame storming back. Frosh KJo had back to back 3's where we grabbed the lead.

The Melo-less game @ UC where Scoop killed ém again. That was more because I was buried in the UC student section.

The real best one though was the 76-75 defeat of the fightin' Izzo's on 2-23-03. It was after that game and seeing their glass basketball that SU should have prevented them from getting in 2000 that I had this oida in my heart that Syracuse was going to WTWFT that year.

Same for me. That's my #1.

My #2 would be when we beat Arizona in the dome in maybe 1995? It was the first Syracuse game I ever took my now-wife to. Being from New Mexico, Arizona was a known quantity to her and it was super cool for us to beat them in her first ever Syracuse game - especially knowing how exceedingly rare of a game that really was (playing Arizona in the dome).

12-20-94 94-84 I forget nothing

February 1, 2003 SU v. Pitt.

SU trailed by 13
SU was unranked against #2 in the nation
Huge crazy crowd
McNeils FT
Multiple Court Stormings
Potential full court heave to lose
SUs 14th straight home W

All led to the next two months of the greatest stretch of SU basketball.

This.

Reactions: cto
I dont know if this was the best, but it just stands out in its awesomeness for me.

March 4th 2001. My buddy, a fellow SU grad, had an extra ticket to the Syracuse @ St. John's game at MSG. I jumped on it. I dont recall how good St. John's was that year. My vague recollection was not very. But regardless, the Orangemen were at that place where they could be vulnerable, looking ahead to the BET (this was the reg season finale) and the Johnnies were essentially playing their tournament game. They were jacked, and the crowd was too.

So we go to the game. Well...turns out his Dad is a looong time St. John's season ticket holder, and an alum. So we are seated in the St John's student/season ticket holder section. 2 rows directly behind the basket.

Wearing orange jerseys (Todd Burgan here wooop wooop)

The game was incredibly close. It ended up being a double OT win by Syracuse after Allen Griffin carried that team on his shoulders down the stretch (To this day Griff's performance that game remains one of the single most impactful...not necessarily in stats but just presence) I have seen out of an Orangeman.

My buddy and I were incredibly jacked...a bit imbibed...were able to give high 5's to Griffin and a couple other guys (Shump?)...then...we turned around. And the glares out of the St. John's faithful were intense.

Once we got to the concourse, it was fine, because the building was probably 2:1 Orange to red. But the walk up those 20 steps or so...they felt long.

The best game for me was the 1990 (I think it was that year) game vs. Georgetown. The game where JT got ejected.

The next best game for me will be this upcoming season when Syracuse plays at FSU...will be the first time since the '89-'90 season that I have seen them play in person.

Tough call among three games in the Verizon Center: The 2004(?) G'town game where GMac hit a 3 at the buzzer to win it had a more exciting ending, but meant less. This year's games against IU and MU were much less nerve-wracking by the end, but way more meaningful.

1984 v Boston College - Pearl's half court shot
1992 v Georgetown in BET - Johnson's shot over Mourning
2003 v Rutgers - Melo's last home game 33K+ (I took my then 11 year old son to his first game in the Dome driving to and Syracuse from Westchester County in 1 day. He fell in love with the Orangemen that day. In 2008/9 he did not even visit another college, only applied to 1 college and is now a Cuse grad 2013 - Whitman.)

Honorable Mention:
2010 v Villanova - 34,616 (and my son won the student lottery for 1st seat, front row of the student section.)
1977 v Mich St - Magic Johnson game
1985 v Georgetown - Pearl's pull up jumper
2006 BET - present for Cincinnati game and Pitt championship game

I dont know if this was the best, but it just stands out in its awesomeness for me.

March 4th 2001. My buddy, a fellow SU grad, had an extra ticket to the Syracuse @ St. John's game at MSG. I jumped on it. I dont recall how good St. John's was that year. My vague recollection was not very. But regardless, the Orangemen were at that place where they could be vulnerable, looking ahead to the BET (this was the reg season finale) and the Johnnies were essentially playing their tournament game. They were jacked, and the crowd was too.

So we go to the game. Well...turns out his Dad is a looong time St. John's season ticket holder, and an alum. So we are seated in the St John's student/season ticket holder section. 2 rows directly behind the basket.

Wearing orange jerseys (Todd Burgan here wooop wooop)

The game was incredibly close. It ended up being a double OT win by Syracuse after Allen Griffin carried that team on his shoulders down the stretch (To this day Griff's performance that game remains one of the single most impactful...not necessarily in stats but just presence) I have seen out of an Orangeman.

My buddy and I were incredibly jacked...a bit imbibed...were able to give high 5's to Griffin and a couple other guys (Shump?)...then...we turned around. And the glares out of the St. John's faithful were intense.

Once we got to the concourse, it was fine, because the building was probably 2:1 Orange to red. But the walk up those 20 steps or so...they felt long.

I remember...that was the Omar Cook year, poster boy for early entry failure.

Apparently he's carved himself out a decent career overseas since then...good for him I guess.

Was that the infamous shoplifting at Sibley's game? Bonnies were very tough for us in the late 70's Sanders and Belcher I remember, I forgot about Harrod until this post.
It definitely is. I was there too. Mike Sanders was the culprit.

The 2003 game against Pitt had to be the best. It's the only game that stands out in my mind where everyone just stood there in disbelief after the game and nobody rushed for the exits. I also remember walking through the concourse with the entire hallway doing "Let's Go Orange" chants.

2007 GTown - We all thought it would be enough to seal a tourney bid. Plus storming the court is fun to do when it's done right, and this was definitely one of those cases.

That game probably tends to get forgotten about because it ended up being an NIT season, but the Dome was absolutely ELECTRIC that night. I remember we went on a big run in the 2nd half with Andy and Nichols draining threes and I thought the roof was going to come off.

2/1/03...I know it's been said, but the atmosphere for pretty much the entire second half was unreal.

We won that game with clutch FTs from JEREMY MCNEIL.
Didn't one of the SU players later say the court was shaking during the second half. It was rocking for sure.

12-20-94 94-84 I forget nothing

I forget nothing either. I remember watching the last 10 min of the game on the display TV's at Sears in Great Northern Mall. Got Xmas bonus that day and wife was out spending it.
Khalid Reeves and Damon Stoudemire were the key players for them I believe.

11 Dec 1982
Syracuse 92 - Houston 87
Clyde Drexler dunked after taking off from the free throw line.
Court storming!

18 Mar 1983
Syracuse 74 - Moorehead State 59
I don't remember much about this NCAA game played in Hartford.
The cheerleaders from the University of Southwestern Louisiana's Ragin' Cajuns on the other hand...
Ooooh la la!

11 Dec 1982
Syracuse 92 - Houston 87
Clyde Drexler dunked after taking off from the free throw line.
Court storming!

18 Mar 1983
Syracuse 74 - Moorehead State 59
I don't remember much about this NCAA game played in Hartford.
The cheerleaders from the University of Southwestern Louisiana's Ragin' Cajuns on the other hand...
Ooooh la la!
That was the year we got the 'Dream Seed' - Hartford vs. tO$U in the 2nd round - a team we had already beaten that year. If we win that game, we go to the Dome for the East Regional. Then lost to the *uckeyes. 79-74, IIRC. :mad:

2006 Villanova
2007 GTown - We all thought it would be enough to seal a tourney bid. Plus storming the court is fun to do when it's done right, and this was definitely one of those cases.
2008 Kansas - Great comeback job in a road atmosphere. Loved seeing Paul Harris with a killer chasedown block on a Sherron Collins layup and of course Flynn's late 3 to send it to OT. There were maybe 50 of us SU fans in a packed house of 18-19K.
Mine is that Kansas game also! And I would say 50 is a very accurate estimate for that "neutral" court game

1. Pitt at the Dome 2003.
2. vs UNC at MSG 2009 (The night Shut It Down went national) Had great seats for that as well.

ArlingtonOrange said:
My first game in person - Pearl shot against BC.
It was my first game in person too.

I was 7 and have vague memories of the game, except the last sequence which has always been burned into my memory. I was sitting in the 200's, baseline extended above the lane where Martin Clark had the free throw. Even after seeing the replay hundreds of times, I still have a vivid mental image of the vantage point from those seats (opposite the camera). I don't think I saw Pearl's shot drop because everyone was already on their feet but I remember the pandemonium that ensued. I still have that game program somewhere.

On a related note... I would love to track down one of those vintage "On the 8th day, God created Pearl" shirts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom