Best Power Forwards of All-Time | Syracusefan.com

Best Power Forwards of All-Time

Not that it really matters but I'm not sure I even consider Duncan a PF

Even Spurs coach Gregg Popovich seemed to acknowledge the charade on the eve of last year’s playoff series against Utah. When asked who the Spurs would start at center, Popovich said, “Tim Duncan, like we have for the last 15 years.”

Jerry Lucas?

There's not a chance in hell that Dennis Rodman should be in the top 10. He was a great rebounder, solid defender, but that's it. Give me Chris Webber over Rodman every day of the week.

Dirk should be #2, at worst... He revolutionized the position and is unstoppable when he is on.

I would move up Dirk as well and bump down Karl Malone. Agreed with Jekelish also. Webber over Rodman.

bob mcadoo is certainly worthy. aba also produced some good ones back in the day like spencer haywood, george mcginnes and throw in bobby jones if we're talking defense/rebounding .

Last edited:
Dirk should be #2, at worst... He revolutionized the position and is unstoppable when he is on.
if you have mchale and Dirk compared. could dirk guard mchale in his prime? could dirk score on mchale?

if you have mchale and Dirk compared. could dirk guard mchale in his prime? could dirk score on mchale?

i think Dirk would score 40 on McHale. He can shoot over him at will. He has Reggie Miller range.

interesting fact. hard to tell on tape but kevin mchale was noted for his incredible BO which would often drive opponents out beyond their normal shooting range. just ask bill walton.

Since most post players receive the ball with their back to the basket, they can generally be stopped / contained with a double team. Dirk wouldn't have to guard McHale 1:1. There's no way McHale is staying with Dirk on the perimeter or (even midrange) long enough for a stout double to materialize - and even if one did, Dirk would shoot over it unless you send another 7-footer out there. He's also very mobile with a good handle for a big man. Dirk is just a different kind of weapon, the German version of the Swiss army knife... an analogy that is the antithesis of artful writing, but whatever.

I love Dirk but there's also this thing called defense that he doesn't play. I have TD, Malone and Barkley as my top 3.

I love Dirk but there's also this thing called defense that he doesn't play. I have TD, Malone and Barkley as my top 3.

Not exactly like Barkley was known for his D though. I'd probably move KG over Barkley I guess? It's interesting because I feel like thi sisn't the case at a lot of positions, but especially if you consider Duncan a C, not a lot of titles from the first 4 or 5 guys on the list.

I don't consider Duncan a 4. If he i then yeah he's #1.

thats a fair trio. i dont happen to agree. but its reasonable for sure.

I would have Mailman 1, Dirk 2. Duncan is a center. I mean, should we add Wilt and Shaq to the list too?

I would have Mailman 1, Dirk 2. Duncan is a center. I mean, should we add Wilt and Shaq to the list too?

If Duncan is a center, that'd make for an interesting comparison. Where does he rank compared to Wilt, Kareem, Russell, Shaq? Personally I'd go Kareem, Duncan, Russell, Shaq, Wilt. It's an interesting debate, no doubt.

yes drop the centers.which duncan is. if we're talking just big bodies put moses over karl. moses was a center /pf technically and 3x nba time mvp. but basically moses malone played center.

Last edited:
Why is Duncan a center? He has played with other centers for a good portion of his career, Robinson, Nesterovic, Mohammed etc.

Why is Duncan a center? He has played with other centers for a good portion of his career, Robinson, Nesterovic, Mohammed etc.

He generally has guarded the other teams center. I mean the fact of the matter is when you come right down to it it's irrelevant, but it makes for fun debates.

Agreed - if you're ranking players by position, whatever position they have played the majority of their career is how they're defined. For Duncan, it's PF. Allen Iverson started his career as a PG, but transitioned over to SG after a few seasons and spent the rest of his career at that position. Thus, he is compared with other shooting guards.

I know Bob Pettit put up some incredible numbers back in the day, but have to wonder if he be could line up against today's power forwards at only 6'9" and 205lb...? I'm thinking he would have to play the 3.

Malone. I consider Duncan a C.

You tell me. Would you rather have Malone who averaged 25.0 ppg, 10.1 rbg, 3.6 apg and 1.4 spg over 1476 games or Dirk who averaged 22.4 ppg, 8.0 rpg, 2.6 apg and .9 spg over 1238 games. I would take the top guy any day of the week.

Anyone want to discuss John Stockton and where he ranks as far as point guards are concerned.

th

If Duncan counts, then I agree with the top 5. Not old enough to have watched Hayes, Pettit, or DeBusschere.

But I agree with the top 5. I think I would take Barkley at his peak over Malone at his, but Malone lasted longer and had the better overall career.

And Rodman is way too high. Sick of this BS with him. Great rebounder, great defender. He basically stopped playing offense in like 1993(and he was mediocre at it then) and spent the rest of his career chasing rebounds on that end. Webber was way better, so was Kemp. These were two of the best players in the league at one point! I'd take Rasheed Wallace and Amare over him too.

Nobody puts Michael Cooper on lists like this for his position(and rightfully so), but the self-promoter Rodman gets on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxda130

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom