Best Wrestling Fueds | Syracusefan.com

Best Wrestling Fueds

Don

2nd String
I was stationed in Fort Sill Oklahoma from 1883 to 1985. There wasn't much to do there so I went to the arena there several times with some of my army buddies to watch pro wrestling. One of the other things about that was that the wrestling was sponsored by the Colorado Koolaid "Coors light" lol first time I ever heard that, but I digress. Anyway I saw many a great wreslter in that small arena up close and personal. Including Andre the Giant and many others.

It was however in my book the best wrestling fued ever that really peaked my interest in Pro wrestling. The Rivalry between the Fabulous Freebirds and the Von Erichs was must watch wrestling. The strap matches, the boot matches, the Bad street matches, these guys never stopped entertaining, You add in others wrestlers who took sides like Gorgeous Jimmy Garvin, Chris Adams, iceman King Parsons was epic. That little arena only held maybe like 3000 people but it was always packed and you sat close. The freebirds Teri Bam Bam Gordy who was a real life badass who beat like 3or 4 bikers at once in a bar because one slapped him. The real American tragedy of the Von Erich Family who had three of the brothers commit suicide and one who died in Japan of a freak illness..

In my book the old WCCW in that time was an equal to the best of times to both WCW and WWF(E). I loved watching those matches at the old coliseum in Lawton Oklahoma. I may be wrong about the size of the Arena it was a long time ago but I know I was always close and the battle between the Von Erich and the Freebirds forced me and my buddies to choose sides lol.

what is your favorite fued?

Oh by the way one of the most underated trash talkers in wrestling history was the "handsome halfbreed" Gino Hernandez he cracked me up everytime he opened his mouth.

I did mention me and my buddies chose sides in the Von Erich vs Freebird fued but I didn't tell you witch side I chose. Ill just post this video and you can guess!!

Hart Foundation vs DX or Bret vs Shawn Michaels however you want to label it.

I know it wasnt as intense as some feuds in the 80s like the one you described or like a Rhodes v Flair. But seeing the Harts hated so much in the states but able to cross a border and get pops bigger than DX got in the states just was so amazing to me.

I am a Bret Hart mark and have been since he was with the Anvil, when the split up the original foundation I was probably 12 or so and I was so upset about it. When he won the IC strap off of Perfect at summerslam it was the best match I ever saw in my life at the time (probably still is) and it hooked me in more.

jerry lawler/bill dundee
the sheik/bobo brazil

Chris Jericho vs. Shawn Michaels in 2008. Now WWE as a whole was pretty lame at that point (IMO) , and I was already an adult at that point so there’s no childhood nostalgia attached. That feud reminded me of a well-written movie, or book, or TV show. They just knocked the whole thing out of the park every week for 6 months. The way the feud innocently started when they were both faces and had a more “friendly” technical one on one match, to Jericho’s very slow and gradual heel turn and personality change which the reason for made 100% sense, to the violent blood feud it evolved into - the whole thing was amazing. I’ve said ever since then...if WWE were to release a DVD(do they even do that anymore?) of every single promo, segment, and match in order, I would pay good money for it.

Another favorite was Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart. And again...they gave that feud time to breathe. It was a slow burn. The tension started at Survivor Series, didn’t boil over until Royal Rumble, and really grew in intensity all the way until they had a classic cage match at Summerslam. But then what I really loved is even though they moved on to other opponents...they were still feuding! Owen cost Bret the title at Survivor Series a year after the whole thing started!

As a kid I was shocked Owen won at Mania, and was also shocked when Anvil turned on Bret and sided with Owen - they did a great job keeping things fresh in such a long feud.

As a kid I also always loved the years long on and off feud between Ric Flair and Sting. Whenever they went at it, the match always had that big match feel to it, and I loved how they never ignored their history. I remember watching the last episode of Nitro (I wasn’t even watching wrestling at the time) solely to see Flair vs. Sting one last time.

Hart Foundation vs DX or Bret vs Shawn Michaels however you want to label it.

I know it wasnt as intense as some feuds in the 80s like the one you described or like a Rhodes v Flair. But seeing the Harts hated so much in the states but able to cross a border and get pops bigger than DX got in the states just was so amazing to me.

I am a Bret Hart mark and have been since he was with the Anvil, when the split up the original foundation I was probably 12 or so and I was so upset about it. When he won the IC strap off of Perfect at summerslam it was the best match I ever saw in my life at the time (probably still is) and it hooked me in more.

I was also a huge Bret Hart and Hart Foundation guy. Bret’s rise to being the top guy were my peak years in wrestling interest. I couldn’t believe when I heard he beat Flair for the title. Mind blowing now how they didn’t even televise that title change or the one before it with Flair beating Savage.

Chris Jericho vs. Shawn Michaels in 2008. Now WWE as a whole was pretty lame at that point (IMO) , and I was already an adult at that point so there’s no childhood nostalgia attached. That feud reminded me of a well-written movie, or book, or TV show. They just knocked the whole thing out of the park every week for 6 months. The way the feud innocently started when they were both faces and had a more “friendly” technical one on one match, to Jericho’s very slow and gradual heel turn and personality change which the reason for made 100% sense, to the violent blood feud it evolved into - the whole thing was amazing. I’ve said ever since then...if WWE were to release a DVD(do they even do that anymore?) of every single promo, segment, and match in order, I would pay good money for it.
while it wasn't a Rivalry or fued or maybe it was I thought some of Jerichos best work was when he busted(no pun intended) on Stephanie after she got her boob job, He used to crack me up with some of his lines to her.

Ric Flair and Dusty Rhodes was my all time favorite. Those two cats traded barbs like nobody's business. Starrcade '85 was epic.

Slaughter vs the Iron Sheik was pretty good back in the day. You really got the sense they hated each other. Of course I was a kid and still thought it was real at that point.

My top 5
1 Austin-McMahon. This elevated the company. “it was me Austin”
2. Andre-Hogan Nobody saw Andre going heel.
3. Bret Hart-Shawn Michaels These guy’s legitimately hated each in the mid 90s.
4. Sting-Flair best feud in WCW.
5. Hogan-Savage. Megapowers exploding was awesome.

These ones are more recent than some mentioned above and probably didn't last as long but what comes to mind for me based off some of the epic matches:

Angle/Benoit -- arguably the two most technical wrestlers ever
Dudleys/Hardys/Edge and Christian -- these tag team back and forths were epic
Taker vs Kane -- Bearer in the middle was awesome, such a great wrestling personality

Buzz Sawyer/Roddy Piper
Snuka/Piper
Steamboat/Flair
Steamboat & Youngblood / Brisco Bros.

This thread makes me realize how much I miss the days of only having the big 4 PPVs in the WWE and they actually took the time to build the feuds so you knew why the guys were fighting and were invested in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom