Better ball movement | Syracusefan.com

Better ball movement

Jamesvillecuse

2nd String
the ball movement in the last 4 games has been remarkably better than in previous games. To me one of the key reasons has been Rak recognizing the double team and kicking it out to the open man instead of trying to force a shot that is not there, this has lead to better ball movement and better shots. While I do not like JB badmouthing his players through the media there is obviously a method to his madness as they have responded in kind. CM was more aggressive although he still needs to be even more aggressive. I would like to see Buss turn his defense into offense and not camp out at the 3 point line throwing up bricks. He needs to follow Cooney's example and put the ball on the deck and go to the hoop. The defense is still a work in progress but it was better against Cornell. Very encouraged going forward in the rest of the season and I can't wait to see how they play saturday.

There are a couple reasons for better ball movement Rak's quick and willing passing out of the double as you note being one of them. Also the emergence of a legitimate 3rd scorer has really helped as has Cooney becoming multidimensional again as you mentioned. There is better spacing and more confidence with 3 guys who are playing confident offensive ball weather they shoot, pass or drive. Its also taken a lot of pressure off of Kaleb making his job easier. Chris and Tyler need to do an even better job of exploiting their openings but they are playing better and both are involved in the better ball movement.

It isn't just the ball movement that has improved; the players are moving better without the ball. For example, Cooney has found several shots running off of dribble-handoff action. Also, Cooney and Silent G have been better at reading the pin-down screens, curling more effectively to find shots and passing opportunities in the lane rather than always straight-cutting to the three-point arc. When they learn to bump cut/backdoor cut even more when defenders overplay the straight cut, they will be almost impossible to defend. Even something as subtle as players fading to open areas when a teammate penetrates has improved, providing more open looks.

Add these items to the fact that Christmas is establishing better post position more consistently (though I would like to see him continue working on passing out and re-posting when he finds himself too far off of the blocks), and the recipe for better offense appears, especially when the players are willing to selflessly pass up good looks for great ones. Of course, even great shots still need to be made...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom