Fran Brown's first game grade = B+ | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Fran Brown's first game grade = B+

I watched the game again, and i still don't know what to make of this team, offensively the line held up Kyle has weapons and he did what we were hoping he would do. Defensively I cant tell if it was a week one problem of jitters, getting used to playing together or if our technique is just dumpster juice. I couldn't find one big running play where we didn't have a player in position to blow the play up but failed their assignment or missed the tackle, not one play. If anybody watched Georgia game yesterday Clemson was getting blown off the ball every play, we were not, we simply just couldn't make the play, hopefully that comes together week 2. Lastly Georgia Tech did not look all that great against GA State, Georgia state had 150 yards rushing, an arrant snap in their own red zone that led to 7, and the first half was a dog fight.

i’m of the mindset that coaching isn’t going to drastically change from what it has been. Linemen don’t become road graders overnight because a coach yells at you. I fear Fran’s approach is going to be yelling harder thinking that’s what matters. Teaching matters. Demonstrating technique matters. Yelling is overrated and kids will tune out quickly especially if losses start piling up.
Not overnight, but good coaches make a difference. FHCDM was a great line coach and he developed good lines from mid 3 stars. Will make some improvement over the course of the season but if we can keep good position coaches for a few years development will happen.
I think FB was yelling at coaches wasn't he?

Just finished my rewatch...I feel more positive about the performance now. This could have easily been a 45-16 win, and I think alot of us would be feeling great if that was the final scoreline. 2 terrible flags/non-flags and a garbage time scoring drive for Ohio when we had a good amount of backups in. The game was over in the 3rd quarter. The mistakes were mostly coachable

Offense A
Specials A (Just for using MJ as the KoR)
Defense- C good situationally, good pass d,
Nailed it.

A day later and there are many, many more things to be optimistic about than not.

People are really underselling the passing game. We have a slew of receivers who can catch now! Think about how long that’s been a problem here. And we have a QB who can put the ball on a dime downfield. No one since Nassib could come close to that.

The specials were excellent. Punting was a strength the few times we needed it. Coverage was good. We even got some doink luck.

Brown and Nixon’s play calling was aggressive and well mixed. And the lack of procedure penalties, delay flags and panicked time outs was a revelation.

The D needs to get their heads out of their @sses executionally. The plays were there to be made and they whiffed over and over. Suggests that’s not a scheme issue, just need those guys to play with much more purpose.

Anyone hanging their head after yesterday is looking for reasons to be down.

i’m of the mindset that coaching isn’t going to drastically change from what it has been. Linemen don’t become road graders overnight because a coach yells at you. I fear Fran’s approach is going to be yelling harder thinking that’s what matters. Teaching matters. Demonstrating technique matters. Yelling is overrated and kids will tune out quickly especially if losses start piling up.
What is “has been”? They’ve played ONE game.

Last edited:
I think something that is important is that this was Fran Brown’s 1ST game running the operation. His 1ST!

He’s managing 200 people in front of 40,000 in person. And I thought he did fantastic at managing the operation.

It’s not his job to implement and coach the defensive game plan, or the offensive for that matter too. It’s his job to manage it. And I thought he did so very very well.

We had 11 people on the field for every unit. Calls in and out with no delays. We were disciplined and focused. Execution, if the management is any indication, should improve.
Even though it's a cliche, the DART mantra is perfect. Not only for the players, but for the development of the program. Few, if any, sports are as complex and have as many moving parts as football. I think we are in a very good place in this regard. A good/great first season (I think 8-4 would be a great first season) will accelerate the process.

Continue bringing in talent is the next great challenge.

I watched the game again, and i still don't know what to make of this team, offensively the line held up Kyle has weapons and he did what we were hoping he would do. Defensively I cant tell if it was a week one problem of jitters, getting used to playing together or if our technique is just dumpster juice. I couldn't find one big running play where we didn't have a player in position to blow the play up but failed their assignment or missed the tackle, not one play. If anybody watched Georgia game yesterday Clemson was getting blown off the ball every play, we were not, we simply just couldn't make the play, hopefully that comes together week 2. Lastly Georgia Tech did not look all that great against GA State, Georgia state had 150 yards rushing, an arrant snap in their own red zone that led to 7, and the first half was a dog fight.
Agreed, the arm tackling was horrible. Guys were there on some of the big plays and just took terrible angles or made super weak attempts at tackling. That said, definitely some concern with how soft we looked at times.

New system, new coaches, 1st game = always uneven results

Defense got caught up in blocks, didn’t bring enough toughness/energy + I think new system slowed them a bit + and a little vanilla

This is not like anything we have had before. we threw the ball about 15 times a game with McNabb and McCord is better than Nassib.

In 2012 Nassib set SU records for most passes (471), most completions, (294- 62.4%) most yards (3,749) and most touchdown passes (26). I expect those records to disappear in the Dino Babers Era, based on what Johnny Garoppolo did for him at EIU, (375 of 568, 66.0% for 5,050 yards and 53TDs) and Matt Johnson at Bowling Green (363 of 569, 67.3% for 4,936 yards and 46TDs). It didn't happen.

Multiply McCord's numbers yesterday by 12 and you get 324 of 468 (69.2%) for 4,248 yards and 48 TDs. Yes it was against Ohio U. Yes, we don't know how the protection will hold up against better teams with more aggressive defenses, especially if we can't get the running game going. But this was the first game with McCord throwing to a whole new set of receivers. They might have a harder time in future games but they also figure to get even better. I think McCord will make Nassib's numbers disappear.

No reason for anything but optimism. The offense is set for a good run as KM is a gamer with skilled receivers. We will worry about next year next year.

That said, the difference between a good season and a truly memorable one is how well the D develops.

I was surprised at our scheme. We mostly had 3 guys with their hands in the ground and Diggs on the left end standing up. At times he was really a line backer.
He had 4 TFL which is hard to argue with, but several of the big OU runs were on his side. I think they decided to run at him and use his aggressiveness against us. He got too far in the backfield and they ran right by him - and there was nobody in the secondary to stop him. That makes me wonder about the scheme.
Seems we are designed to be good in the red zone and somewhat soft otherwise.
Who knows, only first game against a team hard to scout with so many new players.
One thing for sure, FB, as a DB coach, has to be crazed with the secondary's performance.

Last edited:
In 2012 Nassib set SU records for most passes (471), most completions, (294- 62.4%) most yards (3,749) and most touchdown passes (26). I expect those records to disappear in the Dino Babers Era, based on what Johnny Garoppolo did for him at EIU, (375 of 568, 66.0% for 5,050 yards and 53TDs) and Matt Johnson at Bowling Green (363 of 569, 67.3% for 4,936 yards and 46TDs). It didn't happen.

Multiply McCord's numbers yesterday by 12 and you get 324 of 468 (69.2%) for 4,248 yards and 48 TDs. Yes it was against Ohio U. Yes, we don't know how the protection will hold up against better teams with more aggressive defenses, especially if we can't get the running game going. But this was the first game with McCord throwing to a whole new set of receivers. They might have a harder time in future games but they also figure to get even better. I think McCord will make Nassib's numbers disappear.

How about we multiply McCord’s numbers by 15. :cool:

From a single game I think it's more of a 6-7 win team than the 8-9 win team many had hoped.

Hopefully they make some big improvements for G

I’d take 7 wins right now if offered. This D looked weak, lazy, confused, undisciplined and we lost our best player on that side of the ball.

Some of this was the e unrealistic expectations people have for this team.

I’ve been saying all along, with a brand new coaching staff this team could go anywhere from 5-7 to 10-2

I think this game was a reality check for a lot of fans and maybe even players too
saying anywhere between 5-7 and 10-2 isn't much of a prediction.

I’d take 7 wins right now if offered. This D looked weak, lazy, confused, undisciplined and we lost our best player on that side of the ball.
Bah. The offense put up 480 and 38 over 3 quarters against what was the highest ranked defense last year on this schedule.

Need to tighten it up a bit and get 4 or 5 stops a game. They don’t have to hold opponents under 20 to win. This year if they average 24 pts against this is a 8 or 9 win team.

As I said before, too many people came into this game with unrealistic expectations.

We have a first year head coach, literally first time on the sidelines as a head coach.

We have 30+ transfers as well that all need to get used to playing with each other.

We went out and by mid 3rd quarter we had the game locked away.

Give me a break!

Did Hastings play yesterday? He was listed on the depth chart as a starter but checking the box score he didn’t have any stats.

And the same with your bank account. ;)

Christopher Reeve Reaction GIF

im implying that McCord will play in fifteen games this season, hence the need to multiply his 1 game #’s X 15 in order to get his full season total.

I think something that is important is that this was Fran Brown’s 1ST game running the operation. His 1ST!

He’s managing 200 people in front of 40,000 in person. And I thought he did fantastic at managing the operation.

It’s not his job to implement and coach the defensive game plan, or the offensive for that matter too. It’s his job to manage it. And I thought he did so very very well.

We had 11 people on the field for every unit. Calls in and out with no delays. We were disciplined and focused. Execution, if the management is any indication, should improve.
In fairness, we did have 1 time out on a PR because we had 12 men on the field.

I think Wax being out caused some confusion there
Yeah and I think Fran was not happy about it as right after that he was really giving to someone over the headset. That was a coach not preparing his unit after Wax went out.

Yeah and I think Fran was not happy about it as right after that he was really giving to someone over the headset. That was a coach not preparing his unit after Wax went out.
He was right next to Villono, the ST coach. I can understand how it happened with Wax just getting injured, but nice to see Fran setting the tone that we can't afford mistakes like that.

Yes we lost our best player, but the weak and lazy issues are likely due to being unsure of what to do. I mean this is almost completely the same defensive players from last year with numerous additions. Their performance was concerning but surely has to get better. How quickly they can improve is the question.

And I’m guessing the defensive calls were pretty vanilla because maybe they didn’t want to throw too much at them yet. Hopefully that can changes soon as well.

We have to improve a lot and quickly if we want to have the season we all hope for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rocketjcat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom