Fran Brown's first game grade = B+ | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Fran Brown's first game grade = B+

Is it me or did I notice a lot of (not all) Dino's guys made the biggest mistakes today? Maybe I was intentionally looking for it subconsciously but Fran's guys seem to look at this from a professional standpoint, knowing the goal and what the benefits of them are. Dino's guys play with emotion more than their heads far too often. The other thing different is the presence on the sidelines. That dude wants to win every single play from the opening kickoff until the very end.

I was skeptical but excited like many and I think today really showed the future, will be a lot of bumps but holy cow this is the energy this deflated program needed.
You mean like Pena, Gadsden, Allen? Those guys? Mang was very good all day.

My dumbass Florida State buddy...

Syracuse may not get to 6 wins. They suck. Their defense is porous. Fren Brewn, or whatever his name is, reflects a deer caught in headlights. Only reason dude pulled recruits is because rando sh- when he was at GA. Dome looked good, surprised by attendance, so that's a positive for ya i guess. I just don't see the orange school winning more than 5 or 6 games. Sorry.

Don't count your victories before they hatch.

the Simmons block below the waist call was another horrendous flag. The call exists to prevent defenders from diving at a blockers legs. Simmons was blocked to the ground and then the defender fell on him. On his back nonetheless. Absurd call. You can’t even say maybe on this one.

(And Simmons was actually being held prior to the fall as you can see his jersey being pulled before they fall to the ground).

Last edited:
C-
Can’t give anything higher to a team that gave up near 300 rushing yards to freaking Ohio

Pretty much agree with this sentiment, I'd give him a C at best. The point spread was 17.5, so we failed to cover. And, as you alluded to, our run defense was flat out abysmal, against an Ohio team that lost 30 plus players to the transfer portal, with many being on O, basically an entire new offensive line...I think that's what the TV analyst stated during the broadcast. Our D made a Northwestern back, who apparently couldn't cut it there, look like the second coming of Eddie George. Not to mention, coach Fran's experience as coach has been on the defensive side of the ball.

B+ all day. For multiple reasons.

No procedure penalties, delays or TO’s bc we couldn’t get a call in.

Great clock management, especially on the last drive before half.

Clean operation outside of some dumb penalties on D. But, that’s what happens when you preach aggressive all year, guys are trying to hit stick it. I’m confident it’ll get cleaned up based on everything else I saw.

I left yesterday very optimistic.

You mean like Pena, Gadsden, Allen? Those guys? Mang was very good all day.
It literally says not all, I think it's pretty self explainitory that those guys were pretty damn good.

B+ all day. For multiple reasons.

No procedure penalties, delays or TO’s bc we couldn’t get a call in.

Great clock management, especially on the last drive before half.

Clean operation outside of some dumb penalties on D. But, that’s what happens when you preach aggressive all year, guys are trying to hit stick it. I’m confident it’ll get cleaned up based on everything else I saw.

I left yesterday very optimistic.
The drive to end the first half was textbook. The use of TOs/clock management and, maybe even more importantly, McCord's execution and accuracy, was very impressive. Other than the win, that drive was the single most encouraging part of yesterday's performance.

Maybe that’s who he was yelling at in the headset after the TD run?
I wondered the same thing. Who else would it be?

I’m just happy we have a legit passing game for the first time ever. Mccord and these receivers are going to put up big numbers this year. The rest is more correctable than not having an offense that can throw the ball. We actually have a shot of winning shootouts for once.

Loved Fran's clock management/use of timeouts. Loved that he was reading analytics book and admitting that game management was the one thing he was nervous about. Loved that he even admitted he was nervous. I get tired of that "macho" tough guy BS usually prevalent in football coaches. Liked that he admitted the he needs to maintain his composure better on the sidelines. That's more self-awareness than we've seen out of some coaches.

Obviously we have some things to fix on defense. We'll see how he does with that part of coaching next week.

Potent offseason and unreliable defense; will win some games we aren't supposed to, and lose one or two head-scratchers. This will be an interesting season.

Defensive back and safety tackling was awful. Safeties were bad in general today. Barron was bad. Nobody wrapped up and woah did some guys get deaked.

Need Wax healthy or we’re in trouble. Heard played for Wax and he looks small.

DBacks played way off the ball, numerous times 10 yards off the ball and the safeties were playing 15 yards deep when all they were doing is running it down our throat. We’ll see where it goes from here.

I think that was a great win though. Ohio won 10 games last year and they are well coached. Loved what we did on offense. The Georgia kids and Pena were money as was obviously OG. McCord is great.
Heard is bigger than Wax physically

I’m just happy we have a legit passing game for the first time ever. Mccord and these receivers are going to put up big numbers this year. The rest is more correctable than not having an offense that can throw the ball. We actually have a shot of winning shootouts for once.
I am happy as well but we did have a good passing game with Nassib. That said, the team season passing records will probably fall. Too many good receivers for individual records.

It’s interesting reading the board, seems split down the middle on people who are optimistic and those who believe yesterday was an underperformance. There is definitely a lot of teaching on defense that will take place this week. If we come out and beat Georgia Tech, something tells me those saying to temper expectations will be back on the 10 win train. I have a suspicion we will look better next week.

This is not like anything we have had before. we threw the ball about 15 times a game with McNabb and McCord is better than Nassib.
Your statement is flat out stupid.

Dungey’s last three years were 11, 18, 31 in passing. In 22 it was fine just not high volume.

If he does better than 2012 it will be a great season.

McCord was excellent yesterday, no need to denigrate other teams and assert ridiculous things

I think something that is important is that this was Fran Brown’s 1ST game running the operation. His 1ST!

He’s managing 200 people in front of 40,000 in person. And I thought he did fantastic at managing the operation.

It’s not his job to implement and coach the defensive game plan, or the offensive for that matter too. It’s his job to manage it. And I thought he did so very very well.

We had 11 people on the field for every unit. Calls in and out with no delays. We were disciplined and focused. Execution, if the management is any indication, should improve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rocketjcat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom