Beyond the presser euphoria, questions remain | Syracusefan.com

Beyond the presser euphoria, questions remain

billsin01

All American
I think it's pretty cool that people are so fired up about Shafer and I've been one of his biggest fans since the day he was hired as DC. Having said that, I do think there are some concerns:

1) I always get a little wary of the super emotional type as a head coach. Think it works perfectly as a coordinator but it's all or nothing for head coaches much of the time. He's either going to have a completely fired up team and connect really well with recruits and do very well here, or he might wear on coaches and players and be done in by his own passion. I don't pretend to know the answer and think it was the right way for program to go, but it could be interesting to watch.

2) Is it a concern at all that so many assistants are leaving? Of course we'd love to have most of them back, I'd think, but there's a nagging feeling I get that says were the assistants not entirely thrilled with the prospects of working under Shafer? Pure conjecture so I could be completely wrong, but just a question.

what you saw today was the game day Shafer, and some of his on the job/field persona. This is not what you see when he's in his calm cerebral mode. I've seen both sides and he knows when to dial it down and tone it down, so he'll be able to avoid the too intense syndrome that dooms too many football coaches. I called it the duality of coaching that one needs to be successful in this sport and was why I've been so high on him in earlier posts.

We've got a good one here folks who can hit all the notes. Buckle your seatbelts boys and girls it's going to be a very fun ride back toward the top!

I was surprised he couldn't confirm any of the assistants yet. I am not worried about D, but need to retain a couple of the offensive ones like Adkins and Wheatley for recruiting and offensive continuity.

I was surprised he couldn't confirm any of the assistants yet. I am not worried about D, but need to retain a couple of the offensive ones like Adkins and Wheatley for recruiting and offensive continuity.

The mentioning of families and that is the assistant coaches first priority, it made me think that a coach that has a younger family may be on the move.

2) Is it a concern at all that so many assistants are leaving? Of course we'd love to have most of them back, I'd think, but there's a nagging feeling I get that says were the assistants not entirely thrilled with the prospects of working under Shafer? Pure conjecture so I could be completely wrong, but just a question.
How many are leaving?

Can't confirm the assistants on the O-side until the coordinator is lined up. That's who they'll actually be working for (or choose not to). Right now, they are all still here, so I'd guess that The Schafe would like to keep them. But we've had enough premature "he's staying's" already.

The mentioning of families and that is the assistant coaches first priority, it made me think that a coach that has a younger family may be on the move.
The FM basketball coach will not be pleased to hear that.

The FM basketball coach will not be pleased to hear that.

He did say something like that, didn't he? That was the thing that kind of stuck in my head and I don't know what coaches have kids but Shafe also said that many schools were courting our guys as well and as good as that is, it kind of stinks too. I'd hate to lose Wheatley if that's the guy as you pointed out, Michigan would be a tough place to say no to for him.

Come on, now. Greg Adkins lives a thousand miles from his sons. Donnie Henderson came specifically as a favor to Marrone. John Anselmo is close to retirement age. Tyrone Wheatley has no ties to this area. If any of them leaves you'll believe it has something to do with Shafe? You're a great poster here, but this one is a head-scratcher.

It would suck bad to lose Wheatley if that is the case.

what you saw today was the game day Shafer, and some of his on the job/field persona. This is not what you see when he's in his calm cerebral mode. I've seen both sides and he knows when to dial it down and tone it down, so he'll be able to avoid the too intense syndrome that dooms too many football coaches. I called it the duality of coaching that one needs to be successful in this sport and was why I've been so high on him in earlier posts.

We've got a good one here folks who can hit all the notes. Buckle your seatbelts boys and girls it's going to be a very fun ride back toward the top!

Yep, you can watch the interview with Matt Park that he did before the presser, and you'll see a much more laid back guy. Knew when to turn it on. He had a home run day.

The biggest worry I have with a new HC is just all of the organization that goes with the job, you could get lost in it and forget you're actually coaching a football team. So I do hope part of his lengthy discussions with Gross is that, using ACC $, he will have enough support staff to handle the day to day on that stuff, and keep him as the problem solver/decision maker role.

Yep, you can watch the interview with Matt Park that he did before the presser, and you'll see a much more laid back guy. Knew when to turn it on. He had a home run day.

The biggest worry I have with a new HC is just all of the organization that goes with the job, you could get lost in it and forget you're actually coaching a football team. So I do hope part of his lengthy discussions with Gross is that, using ACC $, he will have enough support staff to handle the day to day on that stuff, and keep him as the problem solver/decision maker role.
I thought it was a good move to announce a DC hire immediately, to reinforce that he is now HC, and is operating with HC mindset.

I thought it was a good move to announce a DC hire immediately, to reinforce that he is now HC, and is operating with HC mindset.

Agree. And especially someone who has been a DC at a BCS school.

HCSS says, "Hey Nancy, leave the negativity at the door."

That's fine as long as you're not writing "HCSS deals drugs and hates children" in your burn book if he decides to take another job. It's been embarrassing around here the last week or so and I"m just trying to even folks out a bit so they don't act like scorned 12-year-old girls if we don't win a national championship next season.

Come on, now. Greg Adkins lives a thousand miles from his sons. Donnie Henderson came specifically as a favor to Marrone. John Anselmo is close to retirement age. Tyrone Wheatley has no ties to this area. If any of them leaves you'll believe it has something to do with Shafe? You're a great poster here, but this one is a head-scratcher.

Valid points and if that's why guys are leaving it's certainly understandable. I tried to make clear that I have zero inside info and wasn't pretending to. I guess I'm just leery at times about the super emotional types -- it can work, obviously, Brian Kelly parades up and down the sidelines lighting up QBs all day and seems to win a ton. But it can get ugly as well, so I was asking the question. Glad someone with more intimate knowledge of the situation was able to clear set the record straight.

Not really. Every one of those guys may be gone. And I could tell you some stories from practice regarding Shafe that would have you laughing your ass off if you think today was emotional. But he does know when to turn it off, and he loves the kids and they love him.

I think it's pretty cool that people are so fired up about Shafer and I've been one of his biggest fans since the day he was hired as DC. Having said that, I do think there are some concerns:

1) I always get a little wary of the super emotional type as a head coach. Think it works perfectly as a coordinator but it's all or nothing for head coaches much of the time. He's either going to have a completely fired up team and connect really well with recruits and do very well here, or he might wear on coaches and players and be done in by his own passion. I don't pretend to know the answer and think it was the right way for program to go, but it could be interesting to watch.

Would you rather he be a quiet guy like Coach P or GRob? It's high time we had a feisty guy around here again, like Coach Mac.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom