Big 10 Delaney is a IDIOT - NYC a Big 10 city? NEVER | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Big 10 Delaney is a IDIOT - NYC a Big 10 city? NEVER

No, we don't know how they'll perform, but having grown up in New Jersey and had both friends and a cousin play for Rutgers, I don't think they'll flop.

None of that makes me an expert, but everything points to their continued program rise. Sorry 'Cuse loyalists.

With the momentum they've built over the last decade, the money they've poured in to facilities, the increased support from fans & alumni, and the exposure the B1G brings them, I don't see Rutgers falling apart. Not in that state with all those recruits who now finally a reason to stay home.

Sure, you'd all LIKE them to blow chunks, but I'm with Kaiser on this.

Rutgers will be good, if not very good for years to come.

If you had said they "might" succeed I'd be with you, but to say they will definitely rise I'm not convinced. Since 2005, they have averaged 5.5 games a season against BCS opponents who finished the regular season .500 or above and their winning % against those teams has been 35.7%. Most BCS teams average between 6.5-8 games a season against such opponents.

Also, Rutgers' single biggest victory came against Louisville back in 2006. They really haven't had a regular season game win that comes close to that since.

They should have better than they have been considering the talent they were getting in a relatively weak Big East.

They certainly have seen a tremendous rise in attendance from their Old Big East days but after the initial few seasons in the BiG, will that trend continue if they don't win? Again, only time will tell.

Cheers,
Neil

No, we don't know how they'll perform, but having grown up in New Jersey and had both friends and a cousin play for Rutgers, I don't think they'll flop.

None of that makes me an expert, but everything points to their continued program rise. Sorry 'Cuse loyalists.

With the momentum they've built over the last decade, the money they've poured in to facilities, the increased support from fans & alumni, and the exposure the B1G brings them, I don't see Rutgers falling apart. Not in that state with all those recruits who now finally a reason to stay home.

All what money poured in? It's been all state money, which will shrivel away, and student fees, which have now been exposed to have been abused. The football program lost money big time year after year. Even their new found B10 money won't be there for awhile since they aren't getting full shares.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're talking college. We all understand about the Giants.
Speaking of which, I've seen this town shut down 3x and then absolutely EXPLODE 2 of those times...it was impressive, eerie, fearsome, quite nerve wracking and probably the greatest outdoor hugfest since V-E and V-J Days. (Missed 2 as well, yee-ha) and although this is a baseball (cough, Yankee) town, nothing compares to the GIANTS.

Football is not gonna stop growing, despite the injury factor, and if Scott and Silve could find a way to get USC-UCLA and Florida-Georgia at Giants Stadium...they would.

20million fn people live about a 90 mile radius.

Stick that in your pipes and smoke it.

I'm not sure they've been good. No conference championships (ironically this year might be the closest they will get - If they can get past Louisville). Marginal bowl games. I think they will be middle of the pack in good years. Perception will harden - B1G fodder.

Less recruits. Debt.

the 'casual' sports fan isnt watching real housewives of cny on saturdays either, hes watching COLLEGE FOOTBALL.

this area is too big, too populous to have 1, 2, 3, 7 whatever teams. and 99% of this city doesnt give a shlit about Syracuse or dook or the johnnies or whatever hoop either. they watch whats on, usually the good teams.

same with football.

and if a city cannot be defined by whats going on in the public gathering places,. then i will sit the rest of this one out.

for on Saturday afternoons, this is 1 hell of a college town.

so it's safe to say 99% don't care about the big ten either. Syracuse and dook are usually the good teams.

as for public gathering places...if you can here the advertisers promoting their products on the air,then no one is really in there.

and if you can't hear the t.v's then the advertisers lose out also.

then people seem to forget that millions of residents down in the city are immigrants who care more about soccer than football.

I highly doubt there are hundreds of thousands of big 10 grads with out including Rutgers alums in nyc . And how many big 10 grads are actual football fans vs. being very serious about their education when in college and professional careers that now live in the apple.

Local Penn St. grads ARE NOT going to buy tickets for a rutgirls and Mich/Ohio St. in jersey as they are too busy watching their team getting waxed by Syracuse in the Meadowlands.

Rutgirls will see more visiting fans show up, but when the team starts losing 48-17 on most Saturdays in the fall the local casual fan base will go back to watching the jersey shore or fishing for stripers like many do all ready

according to ann arbor.com there are only 13,200 Michigan alumni in nyc and area

http://annarbor.com/news/where-u-m-alumni-live/?cmpid=mlive-@mlive-news-a2

There are over 23,000 Penn State Alumni in the NYC area.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business...y-college-graduates-live-back-at-home/273529/
notice a trend here...

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2012/08/urban_meyer_ohio_state_buckeye.html

According to the Ohio State Alumni Association, there are about 10,000 OSU alumni in Washington, D.C.; 9,100 in New York; 8,500 in Chicago and 7,000 in Los Angeles. Internationally, roughly 800 reside in Taiwan, 630 in South Korea, 600 in India, 400 in Japan and 300 in Great Britain

the 'casual' sports fan isnt watching real housewives of cny on saturdays either, hes watching COLLEGE FOOTBALL.

this area is too big, too populous to have 1, 2, 3, 7 whatever teams. and 99% of this city doesnt give a shlit about Syracuse or dook or the johnnies or whatever hoop either. they watch whats on, usually the good teams.

same with football.

and if a city cannot be defined by whats going on in the public gathering places,. then i will sit the rest of this one out.

for on Saturday afternoons, this is 1 hell of a college town.

I've lived in this area my whole life. This x 1000.

Even winning, it'll be a tough road for the b10 and RU to make any impact in NYC. We're a picky bunch—just look at the fan support when the Yankees/Knicks are down. Not to mention they're in NJ. Most non-NJ people don't even know where Piscataway is.

I don't think Flood is going to be the answer for RU. And it's critical that RU win some big games in the first 5 years in the b10. I just don't see that happening for a team that couldn't even beat WVU for 18(?) years.

I don't think they'll bomb as bad as some of us think. Even if NJ is overrated for talent, they're still better than half of the b10 states. Counts for something.

Even winning, it'll be a tough road for the b10 and RU to make any impact in NYC. We're a picky bunch—just look at the fan support when the Yankees/Knicks are down. Not to mention they're in NJ. Most non-NJ people don't even know where Piscataway is.

I don't think Flood is going to be the answer for RU. And it's critical that RU win some big games in the first 5 years in the b10. I just don't see that happening for a team that couldn't even beat WVU for 18(?) years.

I don't think they'll bomb as bad as some of us think. Even if NJ is overrated for talent, they're still better than half of the b10 states. Counts for something.

Good points. I counter that the reason Rutgers is likely t o bomb is that the schedule the B1G has planned for Rutgers takes advantage of the strongest B1G programs in the NYC market are also the programs that Rutgers is least likely to beat. PSU, UM, MSU, and tOSU are simply not going to lose to Rutgers on a routine basis. Rutgers will NOT out recruit these teams annually. Kids are not going to flock to Rutgers simply because they play PSU, UM, tOSU and MSU annually. To the contrary, if kids in Jersey can play at those schools and still play in front of their families and friends, they are more likely to attend the higher profiled schools. Rutgers would likely need to win 80% of these games for 5-10 years to change that culture, this is not likely to happen.

The remainder of their division is Indiana and Maryland. They are more likely to split with these two over time than to dominate. Thus, in a typical year, Rutgers can count 4-6 losses in their division, with 6 games remaining. I can see them hovering between 4-8 and 7-5 with bowl games 30-60% of the time. I do not expect them to upgrade their OOC schedule too much. If they do, it will only make mediocrity that much harder to attain.

I just looked at RU's football schedule for this fall (can you tell how bored I am?). With the schedule they have, they should be able to collectively roll out of bed and go at least 8-4. Norfolk State, Eastern Michigan, Temple, UCAN'T, Houston, USF, and SMU should be wins. So too will probably be UCF. Cincinnati, Arkansas, Fresno State, and Louisville will be more of a challenge. This could be their last bowl appearance in a long time. They better enjoy it while they can. Now I need to do something more productive like organize my socks by thickness.

I just looked at RU's football schedule for this fall (can you tell how bored I am?). With the schedule they have, they should be able to collectively roll out of bed and go at least 8-4. Norfolk State, Eastern Michigan, Temple, UCAN'T, Houston, USF, and SMU should be wins. So too will probably be UCF. Cincinnati, Arkansas, Fresno State, and Louisville will be more of a challenge. This could be their last bowl appearance in a long time. They better enjoy it while they can. Now I need to do something more productive like organize my socks by thickness.

Sorry for your boredom. I have some paint that needs watching while it dries, if you're interested in an upgrade.

You called it right, they shouldn't have to work too hard to attain 8 wins.

its more like unherded cattle. and clearly 2 power brokers have planted flags and are trying to put up some sort of a fence.

Oh Lord

I really like this metaphor.

The market is being fought over by several forces and everybody is doing the best they can to convince viewers they are the conference that really matters. It kind of comes down to Rutgers vs Syracuse until Notre Dame chooses a conference. I like the ACC's chances.