Big 10 Delaney is a IDIOT - NYC a Big 10 city? NEVER | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Big 10 Delaney is a IDIOT - NYC a Big 10 city? NEVER

The Big Ten Network was a grand slam - it changed much in the college athletic scene.

I don't love the guy but give him credit - Jim Delaney is a dynamic force.

I give him credit on the network. The other conferences have taken a wait and see approach, using the Big ten network as the guinea pig and have all seen that it's a great success. I guess the main point I'm trying to make is that he's treated like a god by B1G fans but he has missed on the teams that would make his network the very best. As it stands now, the SEC network will immediately trump the B1G when it is created next year and with a little football success, the programs are there for the ACC to be just as valuable if they create their own network.

NYC cares more about college basketball than it does college football. The ACC basketball brands will be more popular in New York City than the Big Ten basketball brands. Rutgers won't deliver New York City. The Big East never even thought that.

The irony of all this is there is a greater chance of Notre Dame delivering Chicago for the ACC than Rutgers delivering New York for the Big Ten. Swofford is focused on New York at the moment, but don't discount Notre Dame's popularity in Chicago.

Football is so much larger then basketball(even in NYC) and its not even remotely close.

Adding 2 of the top 10 elite programs in the nation in Penn State and Nebraska was a home run by Delaney and the Big Ten. Rutgers and Maryland were forward thinking adds and will open up major markets for the conference. I think Delaney got a lot of what he wanted this time around and the moves he made will pay off for the Big Ten and put the conference in a great position going forward.

The Big Ten is clearly ahead of the ACC in football(which drives 80% of everything) and pretty even with the ACC in basketball btw.

By what measure do you say that the Big Ten is clearly ahead of the ACC in football? You certainly can't be using the Big Ten's bowl record in the BCS era. The Big Ten was 41-48 through 2010. The ACC was 56-52. Here is an article from 2 years ago highlighting the Big Ten's bowl woes. The Big Ten has not improved since then. In fact for several parts of last season, there were no Big Ten schools in the Coach's poll.

http://www.offtackleempire.com/2011/7/1/2251138/grading-the-big-tens-bowl-performance-in-the-bcs-era

Much of the media will agree with you that the Big Ten is higher profile football, but that's living off the 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s nostalgia.

Football is so much larger then basketball(even in NYC) and its not even remotely close.

Yes. They watch the New York Giants, the New York Jets, and Notre Dame. Then the alumni of other schools that happen to live in New York City will watch their own alma mater's football team.

By what measure do you say that the Big Ten is clearly ahead of the ACC in football? You certainly can't be using the Big Ten's bowl record in the BCS era. The Big Ten was 41-48 through 2010. The ACC was 56-52. Here is an article from 2 years ago highlighting the Big Ten's bowl woes. The Big Ten has not improved since then. In fact for several parts of last season, there were no Big Ten schools in the Coach's poll.

http://www.offtackleempire.com/2011/7/1/2251138/grading-the-big-tens-bowl-performance-in-the-bcs-era

Much of the media will agree with you that the Big Ten is higher profile football, but that's living off the 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s nostalgia.

To add onto that, two ACC teams have won BCS championships - Florida State and Miami. B1G has 1 - Ohio State.

FLAT. OUT. WRONG.

is the NFL playing on saturdays sept-early dec??

where do you live?? because you have absolutely no freakin clue what is going on here. pro-sports may DOMINATE talk radio, but to think this isnt a market for college is fluckin absurd.

go to a gym in NYC and count the college sweatshirts, tshirts, shorts etc with big time programs on them. go up to them and ask where they are watching the game, guys & girls. they all know what time the game is on, where the 'official' spots are and where they most likely go to watch.

college football is talked about in offices and bars all week as well.

my god, college football is about to basically declare itself a pro-minor league for the greatest professional league in the world (sorry EPL and the rest of the euro-kickball followers). do you not think there is interest in what is happening in the colleges?? do you not think we are watching the b1g at 12, the SEC at 330 and whatever the 8 game is...IN ADDITION to 'your' schools telecast???

sweet jesus, come on man.

You're not talking millions of people, not even tens of thousands with those #s...NYC is a lot more than 1st and 2nd Avenue pubs.

FLAT. OUT. WRONG.

is the NFL playing on saturdays sept-early dec??

where do you live?? because you have absolutely no freakin clue what is going on here. pro-sports may DOMINATE talk radio, but to think this isnt a market for college is fluckin absurd.

go to a gym in NYC and count the college sweatshirts, tshirts, shorts etc with big time programs on them. go up to them and ask where they are watching the game, guys & girls. they all know what time the game is on, where the 'official' spots are and where they most likely go to watch.

college football is talked about in offices and bars all week as well.

my god, college football is about to basically declare itself a pro-minor league for the greatest professional league in the world (sorry EPL and the rest of the euro-kickball followers). do you not think there is interest in what is happening in the colleges?? do you not think we are watching the b1g at 12, the SEC at 330 and whatever the 8 game is...IN ADDITION to 'your' schools telecast???

sweet jesus, come on man.
NYC doesn't have a college football team that it roots for like it has in college basketball for UConn, Syracuse, St. John's and Duke your talking about alums being interested in their school. Casual NYC sports fan doesn't care about college football like it does the NFL, NBA, college basketball. Rutgers isn't the college team for NYC casual fans nor is Syracuse or any one team. Notre Dame, Michigan and Penn State have the most fans/alums in the NYC college football area, but the B1G isn't going to dominate NYC college football and create casual fans because Ohio State and Michigan are going to play Rutgers every other year in NJ. All it will do is give RU and NJ residents more energy to support to RU. Casual NYC sports fans aren't into college football because their isn't 1 time to latch onto like most states their is no state flagship university in NY and Rutgers is the flagship of NJ and NYC folk don't care about NJ. SU is never going to get casual fans to care about its football program in NYC like they do our basketball program sadly that is a fact unless the football program dominates we will have a small presence in NYC for football. Sal, Tony, Johnny who call into the FAN will NEVER care about the B1G or ACC football in NYC its possible they will care about college basketball or they are an alum of RU, SU or the B1G/ACC team they may care about their college football team, but the public won't care or discuss it when the Jets or Giants are playing that week. I am talking about the average sports fan.

You're not talking millions of people, not even tens of thousands with those #s...NYC is a lot more than 1st and 2nd Avenue pubs.
true.

Queens knows how to throw a Saturday Afternoon Party too ;)

same with northern jersey
:eek:

so lets add them all up.

im saying the sheer volume of people here cant be discounted. and in the City proper, if theres 200 bars packed to the gills from noon till 6, then thats likely 195 more than in most cities. and when you start adding up all the commuter towns doing college football specials and the dads at home on their couches, by accident there has to be more people watching than in other areas of the country.

why is the NFL draft so big here, because everyone knows the names coming out of college.

and its not from kipers report, its from watching them play on saturdays for a couple of years.

IMO to say the NYC area is not a college football market is foolish.

its more like unherded cattle. and clearly 2 power brokers have planted flags and are trying to put up some sort of a fence.

Oh Lord

NYC cares more about college basketball than it does college football. The ACC basketball brands will be more popular in New York City than the Big Ten basketball brands. Rutgers won't deliver New York City. The Big East never even thought that.

The irony of all this is there is a greater chance of Notre Dame delivering Chicago for the ACC than Rutgers delivering New York for the Big Ten. Swofford is focused on New York at the moment, but don't discount Notre Dame's popularity in Chicago.

Exactly. I have been saying this. Big10 should have taken us - not that we would want it but they should have offered us, because we are more fitting for their level than Buttgirs. Worked out for us to get into the better conference anyway.

But taking Buttgers is going to hurt them.

Some of the people responding here must think I'm some kind of idiot to believe that the Girlz can somehow deliver NYC. they can't even deliver NJ!!! I live in NJ and you know what you DON"T see is Rutgers ANYTHING, except for a small handful of their alums who put those stupid magnet Rs on their car. I see more cuse stuff all over the place, especially in NYC. So don't try to sell me that snake-oil that Rutgers will deliver the Big10 to NYC - no way no how.

When ACC sets up the Basketball tournament in OUR home court - the Garden - then you will see NYC will be a ACC town and the Big10 with Delaney will be sent packing back to the cornfields of Chicago!

NYC doesn't have a college football team that it roots for like it has in college basketball for UConn, Syracuse, St. John's and Duke your talking about alums being interested in their school. Casual NYC sports fan doesn't care about college football like it does the NFL, NBA, college basketball. Rutgers isn't the college team for NYC casual fans nor is Syracuse or any one team. Notre Dame, Michigan and Penn State have the most fans/alums in the NYC college football area, but the B1G isn't going to dominate NYC college football and create casual fans because Ohio State and Michigan are going to play Rutgers every other year in NJ. All it will do is give RU and NJ residents more energy to support to RU. Casual NYC sports fans aren't into college football because their isn't 1 time to latch onto like most states their is no state flagship university in NY and Rutgers is the flagship of NJ and NYC folk don't care about NJ. SU is never going to get casual fans to care about its football program in NYC like they do our basketball program sadly that is a fact unless the football program dominates we will have a small presence in NYC for football. Sal, Tony, Johnny who call into the FAN will NEVER care about the B1G or ACC football in NYC its possible they will care about college basketball or they are an alum of RU, SU or the B1G/ACC team they may care about their college football team, but the public won't care or discuss it when the Jets or Giants are playing that week. I am talking about the average sports fan.
the 'casual' sports fan isnt watching real housewives of cny on saturdays either, hes watching COLLEGE FOOTBALL.

this area is too big, too populous to have 1, 2, 3, 7 whatever teams. and 99% of this city doesnt give a shlit about Syracuse or dook or the johnnies or whatever hoop either. they watch whats on, usually the good teams.

same with football.

and if a city cannot be defined by whats going on in the public gathering places,. then i will sit the rest of this one out.

for on Saturday afternoons, this is 1 hell of a college town.

Right. NJ's largest paper(Star Ledger), the NYC press, and the hundreds of thousands of alums in the Metro area that went to these schools will care. Try to get a ticket to any one of those games and you will see.

Getting a ticket to an event and how it performs on television are two entirely different beasts.

the 'casual' sports fan isnt watching real housewives of cny on saturdays either, hes watching COLLEGE FOOTBALL.

this area is too big, too populous to have 1, 2, 3, 7 whatever teams. and 99% of this city doesnt give a shlit about Syracuse or dook or the johnnies or whatever hoop either. they watch whats on, usually the good teams.

same with football.

and if a city cannot be defined by whats going on in the public gathering places,. then i will sit the rest of this one out.

for on Saturday afternoons, this is 1 hell of a college town.

But it's different...go to a college town and the place shuts down for a game and team, then they watch the game their rival is playing to root against them. I had friends that went to Michigan for our game then drove to East Lansing (MSU-ND maybe?) and were treated like conquering heroes.

Some guy in Nassau County having channel 2 on while he's doing stuff isn't quite the same passion as he has on Sunday for the GMen or (likely) Jets.

Exactly. I have been saying this. Big10 should have taken us - not that we would want it but they should have offered us, because we are more fitting for their level than Buttgirs. Worked out for us to get into the better conference anyway.

But taking Buttgers is going to hurt them.

Some of the people responding here must think I'm some kind of idiot to believe that the Girlz can somehow deliver NYC. they can't even deliver NJ!!! I live in NJ and you know what you DON"T see is Rutgers ANYTHING, except for a small handful of their alums who put those stupid magnet Rs on their car. I see more cuse stuff all over the place, especially in NYC. So don't try to sell me that snake-oil that Rutgers will deliver the Big10 to NYC - no way no how.

When ACC sets up the Basketball tournament in OUR home court - the Garden - then you will see NYC will be a ACC town and the Big10 with Delaney will be sent packing back to the cornfields of Chicago!
Not sure where you live but I do see a lot of RU stuff (especially those damn magnets that they give away) in Central NJ and near the Shore. Those magnets are on a lot of cars, but they do seem to give them out to anyone. When we play "I spy" in the car my daughter says "I spy something red and yucky!"

The one place I was pleasantly pleased was this past weekend I ran into a bunch of folks vacationing in Wildwood that were SU fans. Not as much RU down there anyway as most RU fans concede extreme South Jersey to Philly folks (who would be more apt to support Temple, obviously, or SU.)

But, there is a lot of Rutgers crap in NJ, and they've already begun putting up billboards that say Big Ten and member of B1G... and they just signed with IMG, so be ready to see more.

We're talking college. We all understand about the Giants.

It depends on the crowd. You can walk up and down 3rd Ave in Murray Hill on any given Saturday and find bars filled with college alumni groups and I know MSU and Penn State have official bars on that strip. To that end, the only people I've come across in NYC that are passionate about college football are alumni of the various schools. College basketball has a lot more casual fans.

The B1G with PSU and Michigan is much more prominent in NYC for football. Rutgers got a lot of media exposure in 2006, but 2006 was a long time ago. They'll definitely get the media's attention at least while the novelty is still fresh of the big boys coming to Rutgers Stadium. But if they don't win those games and are fighting with Indiana and Maryland for 5-7 place in their division, the media attention wont last.

Alternatively, Syracuse's run to the Final Four along with the BET success dominated the back pages of the Post and News this spring. While Michigan, PSU and Notre Dame are the go to teams of the casual college football fan in NYC, the casual college basketball fan (as has been stated here before) gravitates to Duke, Carolina, Syracuse and UConn/St. John's.

Unfortunately, the B1G will win with football (though hopefully Syracuse will continue to do games at MetLife to counter that media attention somewhat), but the ACC will absolutely win the city with basketball, and from my experience most casual sports fans in the city (without a real rooting interest) know more about college basketball than football. Rutgers was a smart move for the B1G, and I know I'm in the vast minority here, but wish Rutgers was joining us in the ACC because they are the closest thing we have to a football fan base that truly hates us and that could have developed nicely.

I give him credit on the network. The other conferences have taken a wait and see approach, using the Big ten network as the guinea pig and have all seen that it's a great success. I guess the main point I'm trying to make is that he's treated like a god by B1G fans but he has missed on the teams that would make his network the very best. As it stands now, the SEC network will immediately trump the B1G when it is created next year and with a little football success, the programs are there for the ACC to be just as valuable if they create their own network.

I guess the point is that Delaney created the BTN - it was his idea and it has been a great success.

I'm pretty sure that few saw that kind of success on the horizon. So give the guy a lot of credit.

You may be right, but I'm not so sure that the SEC will trump the BTN.

We'll see.

I guess the point is that Delaney created the BTN - it was his idea and it has been a great success.

I'm pretty sure that few saw that kind of success on the horizon. So give the guy a lot of credit.

You may be right, but I'm not so sure that the SEC will trump the BTN.

We'll see.

It has turned out much better than expected. There is no doubt that the SEC Network will dominate the Big Ten network - 4.5 million viewers compared to 3.3. http://www.teamspeedkills.com/2012/2/28/2831170/sec-wins-football-ratings-national-title
And those numbers are before A&M was added, bringing in the 2nd largest state in the country. The best way to bring in big ratings is have a superior product; if the ACC wins the big games on National TV, they will have a big share of NYC's college football fans.

It has turned out much better than expected. There is no doubt that the SEC Network will dominate the Big Ten network - 4.5 million viewers compared to 3.3. http://www.teamspeedkills.com/2012/2/28/2831170/sec-wins-football-ratings-national-title
And those numbers are before A&M was added, bringing in the 2nd largest state in the country. The best way to bring in big ratings is have a superior product; if the ACC wins the big games on National TV, they will have a big share of NYC's college football fans.

Well, I see where you are on this.

I think the 4.5 million viewers number includes the CBS SEC Weekly Football package.

As the article notes, that broadcast is national and in every home in the USA - it's not a regional or cable production.

I don't think the BIG has a game of the week on national TV.

So, I'm not sure that that number means that the SEC Network will necessarily outperform the BTN.

Well, I see where you are on this.

I think the 4.5 million viewers number includes the CBS SEC Weekly Football package.

As the article notes, that broadcast is national and in every home in the USA - it's not a regional or cable production.

I don't think the BIG has a game of the week on national TV.

So, I'm not sure that that number means that the SEC Network will necessarily outperform the BTN.

The B1G usually has 2 split games on ABC or an entire time slot to themselves. The Big Ten has plenty of national exposure - they're just not on the SEC's level.

The B1G usually has 2 split games on ABC or an entire time slot to themselves. The Big Ten has plenty of national exposure - they're just not on the SEC's level.

Maybe, but I think the cited article says that the SEC has a weekly national game on network TV while the other conferences have regional games.

Maybe I misread the article.

I'll take a look again.

Here is the quote that caught my attention:

"A theme should be apparent: the top three conferences have almost all of their big games on ESPN/ABC. The sole exception is the SEC with its weekly feature game guaranteed to appear in every household with a TV in the country on CBS. The SEC's game of the week never has to suffer lower ratings from being put in regional coverage."

It makes sense - the SEC is the dominant conference right now - by a mile.

We'll see what happens.

Agree. We just don't know how they will perform. It's assumed we will flop in the ACC, but we don't think so. It's why this is more of a wait and see type thing.

No, we don't know how they'll perform, but having grown up in New Jersey and had both friends and a cousin play for Rutgers, I don't think they'll flop.

None of that makes me an expert, but everything points to their continued program rise. Sorry 'Cuse loyalists.

With the momentum they've built over the last decade, the money they've poured in to facilities, the increased support from fans & alumni, and the exposure the B1G brings them, I don't see Rutgers falling apart. Not in that state with all those recruits who now finally a reason to stay home.

Sure, you'd all LIKE them to blow chunks, but I'm with Kaiser on this.

Rutgers will be good, if not very good for years to come.

Delany is cutthroat and knows how to get what he wants done(except his Moby Dick white whale in Notre Dame which he will never get), and I agree the B1G has carved out a portion of NYC with Rutgers in the B1G. Also, I agree there will be a little buzz when Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Nebraska go to Rutgers for the first time, but once they whack RU the first couple of times the novelty will wear off and the B1G won't get an additional NYC coverage. I think B1G added those schools for the BTN and cable boxes obviously. However, they are honestly underestimating how little pull RU will have in NYC to get the BTN on the basic cable tier obviously the YES purchase by FOX will be used as leverage to try and get BTN on NYC. However, casual NYC fan doesn't care about college football like casual Philly or Boston resident so that is where the B1G is in over its head in NYC. In college basketball Rutgers is a laughingstock and has made the tournament since 1991 they have no pull UConn, Syracuse, St. John's, Duke have the juice in NYC college basketball casual observers if the B1G thinks it will own NYC its laughable. The ACC has a good shot to own NYC casual college basketball fans due to Syracuse, Duke, Notre Dame, North Carolina and the Big East basketball conference will retain a decent following, but the B1G is behind the 8-ball in college basketball in NYC the B1G's bread and butter in college basketball is Indianapolis and Chicago not NYC.

Great Moby Dick reference.

No, we don't know how they'll perform, but having grown up in New Jersey and had both friends and a cousin play for Rutgers, I don't think they'll flop.

None of that makes me an expert, but everything points to their continued program rise. Sorry 'Cuse loyalists.

With the momentum they've built over the last decade, the money they've poured in to facilities, the increased support from fans & alumni, and the exposure the B1G brings them, I don't see Rutgers falling apart. Not in that state with all those recruits who now finally a reason to stay home.

Sure, you'd all LIKE them to blow chunks, but I'm with Kaiser on this.

Rutgers will be good, if not very good for years to come.

I think Rutgers success and fandom seemed to peak in 2006. Since that time, they've taken a small step back. Yes they tied for the conference title with 3 other teams last year, but that, for most, wouldn't be something to crow about. Between scheduling incredibly weak OOC opponents, and doing a decent job at recruiting, they should be better than they've been. If Flood shows that he can't coach (the jury is still out), and they end up looking up at the majority of the B1G, they could very easily slide back into obscurity. Maybe not as bad as the first century of their existence, but I don't see them sniffing a BCS birth anytime in the near future.

I work 2 miles from the RU campus, so I obviously see the scarlet letter on people's cars around there. I live 30 minutes away and other than one neighbor, I don't see any obvious signs of fandom.

Rutgers averaged 50K last year in a 52K seat stadium playing in the Big East. Its not a big assumption to think they will likely sell out most games with a major upgrade in schedule starting next year. They are already drawing pretty well so only a few thousand extra fans will do it.

If they start selling out consistently and with the influx of BIG 10 money they will be coming into, expansion will absolutely be on the table again in the future. Ofcourse the better they are the more likely/quicker that might happen.

Games were always on TV in their market but now they will also be on the Big 10 network and I think they will have a lot more games with regional/national exposure because of the teams they will be playing. I'm sure most bars/restaurants in the area are more likely to put on a RU/Michigan, Mich St, Penn St, Ohio St, etc matchup then a RU/USF, Uconn, Cinn one as well so even though they were on TV more casual fans will watch the games now.

It is rumored that Rutgers gave away about half the tickets and that attendance numbers were not quite as advertised. You may also wish to see how Rutgers "convinces" students to attend, a.k.a. student fees are partially paying for the over built Rutgers stadium, which will take about 20 years of full B1G payouts to eliminate.

I do expect Rutgers to enjoy a real, maybe significant, bump in attendance with PSU, Michigan and tOSU in town. However, that will be short lived unless Rutgers can start winning big games. They have been trying for 140+ years and still have yet to do so. With those three on their slate each year, Rutgers is playing from 0-3 and must win 6 of 9 to break even. They will have to continue their pansy schedules to rack up 6 wins or they will become the losing team they have historically been. Please, we await your beneficent logic to convince us that Rutgers will routinely win against PSU, tOSU and UM.

The simple fact remains that Jersey does not care about Rutgers and NYC cares even less. I agree with Kaiser that diehard B1G grads will watch the games and may even attend when their school comes to town, but the idea that Rutgers will be selling season tickets so people can attend the Michigan game is preposterous, unless those season tickets are cheap to begin with.