Big 10 Delaney is a IDIOT - NYC a Big 10 city? NEVER | Syracusefan.com

Big 10 Delaney is a IDIOT - NYC a Big 10 city? NEVER

NYC like Boston and Philly doesn't give a crap about College Football but like Philly and unlike Boston NYC cares about college basketball. In NYC, the most popular college football brands are Penn State, Notre Dame, Michigan but the city in general don't give two chits about college football unless a Rutgers, Syracuse is undefeated and possibly playing for a NC.
In Basketball the NYC was definitely a Big East town and the city EVERY YEAR paid attention to Big East basketball and when the Big East Tournament came around each March it was an event for casual NYC residents to pay attention too.
The top basketball brands in NYC are Syracuse, UConn, St. John's, and Duke NONE of these teams play in the B1G and as a result the B1G will not control NYC unless Rutgers turns into a superpower in the basketball which has as much a chance of being successful as when I made a move on Pippa Middleton in a NYC club.
Delany is talking out of azz the B1G will not own NYC they have carved out a good size portion of the city, but the ACC has a good sized portion of the city and the new Big East basketball league will retain a small portion of St. John's fans and casual college basketball fans. The ACC has the best shot to dominate NYC because of its sparkling basketball brands Duke, North Carolina, Syracuse, Louisville, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh.

He's most certainly not an idiot. But it is interesting to watch these guys plant their flag in NYC.

In the end, the Big 10 will do just fine in NYC. As will the ACC. As will SEC football. It's the big city. No one is getting 100% ownership. The key is to make sure your foot is in that door. Ours is. B1G's is. SEC's foot is everywhere when it comes to football.

Truth of the matter is it was a Big East city for the city game.

In the long run a Duke-UNC game will get more interest there than OSU-IU hoop.

What a IDIOT - I can't wait for Swofforrd to set up all the ACC tournaments in NYC so we send a message to the idiots Big 10. And how do you plan to do this Delaney? With the GIRLZ (of RUTGIRLZ)???

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...out_turning_new_york_into_a_big_ten_city.html

The ACC (Swoffford) must respond to this. (Actually, having that July 1 event in NYC was a pro-active move in this regard.)

SU and ND have to be in the ACC vanguard in the NYC skirmish.

And, as everyone knows that football is the queen in this game of chess, and ND hasn't brought their football team in totally, SU will really have to carry the ACC flag in the Big Apple. The ACC is going to be rooting hard for the Orange vs. PSU in the Meadowlands.

And, I expect the ACC will encourage SU to play football regularly in NYC. Are there any other ACC teams that could travel well to NYC?

As for basketball--this practically guarantees that the ACC tournament will be moving to New York as soon as they are able to do so.

[

And, I expect the ACC will encourage SU to play football regularly in NYC. Are there any other ACC teams that could travel well to NYC?

Ir remains to be seen how well we travel to NYC for football. Will we have even 25k for PSU?

Delaney is the most dynamic commish in the business. Having Ohio St, Michigan, Penn St, Wisconsin, and Nebraska playing Rutgers right away in 2014 and 2015 will have NYC watching the BIG.

All of these games will be a very tough ticket to get and will assuredly create a buzz in the NYC/NJ area.

Delaney is the most dynamic AD in the business. Having Ohio St, Michigan, Penn St, Wisconsin, and Nebraska playing Rutgers right away in 2014 and 2015 will have NYC watching the BIG.

All of these games will be a very tough ticket to get and will assuredly create a buzz in the NYC/NJ area.

When did Delaney get demoted to AD?

Delaney is the most dynamic commish in the business. Having Ohio St, Michigan, Penn St, Wisconsin, and Nebraska playing Rutgers right away in 2014 and 2015 will have NYC watching the BIG.

All of these games will be a very tough ticket to get and will assuredly create a buzz in Piscataway.

Fixed.

Not a buzz for Rutgers though. A buzz maybe for the huge Michigan/Penn State/Wisco fan bases that live in the city and want tickets.

Schools like Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Wisco, and Nebraska coming to New Brunswick isn't going to create new fans for Rutgers.

This is rich. If Delany has made a mistake it's in overvaluing the attention Rutgers receives in the city.

Us playing Penn St in the area will be a bigger splash than all of the games you mentioned.

He's most certainly not an idiot. But it is interesting to watch these guys plant their flag in NYC.

In the end, the Big 10 will do just fine in NYC. As will the ACC. As will SEC football. It's the big city. No one is getting 100% ownership. The key is to make sure your foot is in that door. Ours is. B1G's is. SEC's foot is everywhere when it comes to football.

The SEC is over estimating its reach constantly. I watch very little of it. I'd imagine the B1G having more value the the NE than the SEC. It's a regional league.

[

Ir remains to be seen how well we travel to NYC for football. Will we have even 25k for PSU?
Doubtful we get 25k for Penn State. Penn State fans are buying tickets in droves and making this their bowl game since they are banned for three more years. If the Stadium is 25k vs. 55k I will be shocked. Its going to be a lot of white and pockets are Orange. If the B1G thinks its football brand is going to take over NYC they aren't smart the Giants and Jets own NYC from September thru January Michigan vs. Rutgers or Ohio State vs. Penn State will be a blip on the radar compared to Giants vs. Panthers or Jets vs. Jaguars and those are good B1G matchups for NYC versus blah NFL matchups

Fixed.

Right. NJ's largest paper(Star Ledger), the NYC press, and the hundreds of thousands of alums in the Metro area that went to these schools will care. Try to get a ticket to any one of those games and you will see.

Not really a big deal until someone decides to build a football stadium in Manhattan. The games will be fine at RU and the Meadowlands, but nobody is going to go out there (or care) unless they are fans of RU, or the visiting team.

Delany is cutthroat and knows how to get what he wants done(except his Moby Dick white whale in Notre Dame which he will never get), and I agree the B1G has carved out a portion of NYC with Rutgers in the B1G. Also, I agree there will be a little buzz when Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Nebraska go to Rutgers for the first time, but once they whack RU the first couple of times the novelty will wear off and the B1G won't get an additional NYC coverage. I think B1G added those schools for the BTN and cable boxes obviously. However, they are honestly underestimating how little pull RU will have in NYC to get the BTN on the basic cable tier obviously the YES purchase by FOX will be used as leverage to try and get BTN on NYC. However, casual NYC fan doesn't care about college football like casual Philly or Boston resident so that is where the B1G is in over its head in NYC. In college basketball Rutgers is a laughingstock and has made the tournament since 1991 they have no pull UConn, Syracuse, St. John's, Duke have the juice in NYC college basketball casual observers if the B1G thinks it will own NYC its laughable. The ACC has a good shot to own NYC casual college basketball fans due to Syracuse, Duke, Notre Dame, North Carolina and the Big East basketball conference will retain a decent following, but the B1G is behind the 8-ball in college basketball in NYC the B1G's bread and butter in college basketball is Indianapolis and Chicago not NYC.

Right. NJ's largest paper(Star Ledger), the NYC press, and the hundreds of thousands of alums in the Metro area that went to these schools will care. Try to get a ticket to any one of those games and you will see.

Why would I want to get a ticket to a Rutgers game?

Doubtful we get 25k for Penn State. Penn State fans are buying tickets in droves and making this their bowl game since they are banned for three more years. If the Stadium is 25k vs. 55k I will be shocked. Its going to be a lot of white and pockets are Orange. If the B1G thinks its football brand is going to take over NYC they aren't smart the Giants and Jets own NYC from September thru January Michigan vs. Rutgers or Ohio State vs. Penn State will be a blip on the radar compared to Giants vs. Panthers or Jets vs. Jaguars and those are good B1G matchups for NYC versus blah NFL matchups

That's my point. We don't travel well to the NYC area for football.

Not a buzz for Rutgers though. A buzz maybe for the huge Michigan/Penn State/Wisco fan bases that live in the city and want tickets.

Schools like Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Wisco, and Nebraska coming to New Brunswick isn't going to create new fans for Rutgers.

Rutgers has more alumni in the area then all of those schools(which have thousands as well). With the move to the BIG 10 and the great schedule they will be playing I'm sure they will see a major uptick in season ticket sales from RU alumni/casual fans in NJ.

How you don't think Rutgers will benefit/gain more fans by playing these storied programs in front of sell out crowds(with all games being broadcast on TV in the NY/NJ area) is beyond me. I bet they have to expand their stadium again in a few years.

Why would I want to get a ticket to a Rutgers game?

Point being there will be a lot of people who do want tickets and unless you are willing to spend a couple hundred bucks you won't be able to get them...

The hundreds of thousands of Penn State, Ohio State and Michigan alums, you mean. There's no identity in NYC. Not even really for the ACC.