Big 12 to expand...or not | Syracusefan.com

Big 12 to expand...or not

UConn Hope.jpg

I just heard on Sirius that they unanimously voted to expand. Question is 2 or 4 teams.

Looks like Frost may get back into the Big 12 sooner than we thought. Well, actually he might leave for Nebraska BEFORE CF gets into the Big 12. Thank gosh we hired Babers instead...

Que the husky pressing his nose on the screen door gif.

But for the grace of John Swofford...but I will enjoy reading the UConn board if this happens.

I can't imagine it would be UConn when you have the likes of BYU, Houston, Memphis, UCF, Cinci and a couple others so much closer and with more in common. Memphis has to be one of them just based on the fact that the Under Armour founder has said he would sponsor the Big12 championship, no matter the cost.

I can't imagine it would be UConn when you have the likes of BYU, Houston, Memphis, UCF, Cinci and a couple others so much closer and with more in common. Memphis has to be one of them just based on the fact that the Under Armour founder has said he would sponsor the Big12 championship, no matter the cost.

Not a big deal but I believe you mean the Fed Ex founder when you refer to Memphis. Under Armour guy is a Terp.

Not a big deal but I believe you mean the Fed Ex founder when you refer to Memphis. Under Armour guy is a Terp.

You are right. Sorry. I think even the Sirius guys got that wrong.

I imagine the B12 learned their lesson when they totally flubbed the choice between West Virginia and Louisville. They passed on a school closer geographically, with significantly more resources and a better market/larger fan base, because WVU was top 10 in football right then. It was a textbook exercise in short term thinking.

UConn makes no sense, not only because of the ludicrous geography, but also because that it's a no-growth market in a state with a withering economy and increasing constraints on funding. Of course that could mean its target #1 for the B12 given their track record.

Memphis, BYU, Houston, UCF/USF and Cincy are all better options for one reason or another.

I'd probably pick 2 of those first 3.

I have to imagine the Boneyard right now is going crazy, rationalizing why they are a better choice than BYU, Cinci, Memphis, et al. If it's 4, they have a chance. A small chance, but a chance nonetheless. If it's 2, I'd be shocked if they made the cut.

I have to imagine the Boneyard right now is going crazy, rationalizing why they are a better choice than BYU, Cinci, Memphis, et al. If it's 4, they have a chance. A small chance, but a chance nonetheless. If it's 2, I'd be shocked if they made the cut.

Believe me, they are. There are, however, a few rational fans posting.

Sounds like the B12 is soliciting bids of corporate graft (FedEx) and outright groveling for lower initial payout proposals from others.
Makes sense - worked for MD and the girls

I know a lot of folks say Houston won't get in because Texas doesn't want to give up the fertile Houston recruiting area. But, honestly, that argument just isn't a factor anymore. Houston has already started pulling in their fair share of high recruits from this area. And if reports are accurate that the vote was unanimous to open up expansion, then I would think that all teams will be considered. I believe it will be Houston, Memphis, BYU and Cinci.

If they're going to 4 I think I'd pick UCF along with Houston, BYU and Memphis. Cincy is fine, but long term the growth is in Florida, not Ohio. And from a facilities standpoint UCF seems ahead of USF.

According to Bill Snyder, two former B12 teams want to come back. Would have to be Colorado and Nebraska.

Day2 said:
According to Bill Snyder, two former B12 teams want to come back. Would have to be Colorado and Nebraska.

I'm not sure I buy that. Maybe a coach wants to come back (and that's what Snyder would know), but the administrations at Nebraska, Colorado, Texas A&M and Mizzou are likely verrrry happy with their respective situations.

Last edited:
You gotta wonder what the pecking order is. What's your ranking?

1 - Cincy
2 - UCF
3 - BYU
4 - Houston
5 - USF (if no UCF)
6 - Memphis
7 - UConn
8 - Boise
9 - Colorado State

You gotta wonder what the pecking order is. What's your ranking?

1 - Cincy
2 - UCF
3 - BYU
4 - Houston
5 - USF (if no UCF)
6 - Memphis
7 - UConn
8 - Boise
9 - Colorado State

I think you have to put CSU above uconn with the commitment they are making to their program/new stadium and geographic fit

I know a lot of folks say Houston won't get in because Texas doesn't want to give up the fertile Houston recruiting area. But, honestly, that argument just isn't a factor anymore. Houston has already started pulling in their fair share of high recruits from this area. And if reports are accurate that the vote was unanimous to open up expansion, then I would think that all teams will be considered. I believe it will be Houston, Memphis, BYU and Cinci.
Not just UT. TT, TCU, Baylor and Oklahoma all are focused on Texas. They'll want every advantage possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom