Big 12 to expand...or not | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Big 12 to expand...or not

According to Bill Snyder, two former B12 teams want to come back. Would have to be Colorado and Nebraska.
Doesn't Nebraska get more money in the B10 though?

Doesn't Nebraska get more money in the B10 though?
Yes, but they're junior members, so they make less than the Michigans and Ohio States. And what they've lost in terms of recruiting and rivalries probably isn't worth the extra money.

I'm not sure I buy that. Maybe a coach wants to come back (and that's what Snyder would know), but the administrations at Nebraska, Colorado, Texas A&M and Mizzou are likely verrrry happy with their respective situations.
I left out TAMU and Mizzou for good reason.

BTW, none of the current coaches at those schools were there when they were playing in the Big 12.

Yes, but they're junior members, so they make less than the Michigans and Ohio States. And what they've lost in terms of recruiting and rivalries probably isn't worth the extra money.
Full member next summer which means they'll get >$47mm in 2017-18.

You gotta wonder what the pecking order is. What's your ranking?

1 - Cincy
2 - UCF
3 - BYU
4 - Houston
5 - USF (if no UCF)
6 - Memphis
7 - UConn
8 - Boise
9 - Colorado State
I'd move Colorado St up to 4th

Also B12 talking about teams for 17-18...better be ready to pay off the AAC and MWC

I believe all of the new B1G members (Nebraska, Maryland, and Rutgers) are getting a smaller piece of the TV pie right now for 'x' number of years. Not sure how many years are involved, but Nebraska is closer to getting a full share than either Maryland or Rutgers.

Cheers,
Neil

That's true - not sure what the SEC does but have read several times about the "buy in" period in the Big12(10) and Big 10(14). Of course, the ACC does not do that - we believe in equal revenue distribution. FSU supports that as well. The FSU AD is an ND grad (BB player there) who worked for the old Big East for 11 years until 2005 as an associate commissioner and he said in an interview he saw first hand the problems that unequal revenue distribution creates - equal revenue sharing is "sacred" in this conference.

Also, it is clear to me that news of the looming ACC network (digital and linear - great news to me as an FSU grad and even to folks on the Tomahawk Nation site) has kicked the chair out from under the Big 12(10) - even Boren at OU basically says the ACC developments are the stimulus. I think they will add from 2 to 4 teams and then the Pac12 could add 2 as well. The ACC will be in very good position going forward.

Atom what was decided today...the ACC clearly moved from 5th to 3rd or 4th.

Yeah, I think we will be no worse than a close 3rd long-term and as the Clemson AD has said, that's all we really need to remain competitive. Maybe we will be even better than that: check this info: "John Ourand and Michael Smith of SBJ reported ACC Network will carry 40 football games and 15o basketball games a year. ACC Network Plus, a digital network that will replace the ACC content on ESPN3, will launch this year and carry 600 “Olympic-style” events per year."

ESPN to reportedly launch ACC Network by 2019

Plus if you love this conference realignment jazz, these ACC networks are setting off another stampede as the Big 12 tries to stabilize itself - I read somewhere they copyrighted (?) the name Big14 when they formed. If the Big12 adds 4, talk is that the Pac 12 could then add 2 so they wouldn't be the smallest major conference - and maybe new states would help their struggling go-it-alone network. Since all the ACC schools are happily stuck together with more $$$ and TV exposure, none of us will be directly affected.

Not just UT. TT, TCU, Baylor and Oklahoma all are focused on Texas. They'll want every advantage possible.

I think that goes out the window now. The pressure is on to expand. Keep in mind, Houston used to be in a league with Texas, TCU and Tech who used Houston as a recruiting base. It wasn't a problem then. I think it's overblown by us fans now.

I believe all of the new B1G members (Nebraska, Maryland, and Rutgers) are getting a smaller piece of the TV pie right now for 'x' number of years. Not sure how many years are involved, but Nebraska is closer to getting a full share than either Maryland or Rutgers.

Cheers,
Neil

And Maryland got a loan against theirs from the B1G, IIRC. Rutgers payout doesn't go into full effect for another 5 years.

They might as well take six, as UT and OU will look to bolt as soon as they can figure a way out of their BMess entanglements.

They become fully vested in the B1G one year from now.

They might as well take six, as UT and OU will look to bolt as soon as they can figure a way out of their BMess entanglements.
I will be interested to see if the B12 is able to convince all its member schools to sign an extension of the GOR before expansion occurs. If that doesn't happen, and if the B12 opts to severely limit the share of TV money for their newbies for an extended period, will the expansion candidates still scratch and claw to be first to sign up?

They probably will...

I think the decision by the B12 to make this an open contest pitting the contenders against each other is a bad one, but it is going to make for a really interesting summer.

and if the B12 opts to severely limit the share of TV money for their newbies for an extended period, will the expansion candidates still scratch and claw to be first to sign up?

They probably will...

I think the decision by the B12 to make this an open contest pitting the contenders against each other is a bad one, but it is going to make for a really interesting summer.

You bet they will. Even Rutgers, with their money limitation is doing much better than they would have otherwise.

Not really clear why the to be announced new ACC - ESPN arrangement all of a sudden gives impetus to the B12 expansion. It's not like the B12 was going to poach an ACC team during our lifetime.

Toga said:
Not really clear why the to be announced new ACC - ESPN arrangement all of a sudden gives impetus to the B12 expansion. It's not like the B12 was going to poach an ACC team during our lifetime.

Greed and envy.

Pretty much everything about conference alignment boils down to greed and envy.

Id go houston byu if its two and i see that as the obvious choice

You gotta wonder what the pecking order is. What's your ranking?

1 - Cincy
2 - UCF
3 - BYU
4 - Houston
5 - USF (if no UCF)
6 - Memphis
7 - UConn
8 - Boise
9 - Colorado State

1. Cincy
1. UCF
1. Houston
4. Tulane
4. Memphis
6. USF - if no UCF (could double down in Florida)
7. Colorado State
8. UConn
9. BYU
10. Boise

1's. Houston was in the SWC with the 6 other Texas schools and Arkansas. Cincy adds a football state with history and sizeable population, plus a dedicated sports school (not elite, but dedicated). UCF has been full throttloe fore more than 10 years and built up a solid program, a new loyal fan base in a large football state.

4's. Tulane is in NOLA, 'nuff said. Also, LA is a football state, near geographically and did I mention NOLA? Memphis is in a decent football state, a nice bridge for WVU, FedEx money.

6. USF, same as UCF but not to the same extent.

7. Colorado State is a good choice, but CO is not a huge state nor does it provide eastern exposure which is what the B12 really needs.

8. UConn is far out, has NE exposure (read close enough to NYC for arguments, not winning points in the arguments, but arguments. Poor football state, excellent hoops. Small state.

9. BYU is a religious school that is adamant about no games on Sunday, in a small population state, out west, limited following.

10. Same as BYU geographically but worse in that the population is even smaller, no restrictions on Sunday games.

I see the Big 12 looking east. They need viewers and recruiting grounds (i.e. southern states) to support more teams and hinder competitors (SEC, ACC and B1G). Also, UT has plainly stated they are not interested in the Pac 12 because of the lack of eastern exposure (late game times, low east coast following), this probably translates to similar thinking in expansion.

The impetus?

The Big12 immediately realized that the ACC Network & possibly more importantly expanding the GOR made them the weakest link.

They had to do something, otherwise it would just be a matter of time before they were picked apart by the others. The question is, does adding the like of Cinncinati, BYU, etc. fundamentally change the perception of being the weakest link? I seriously question that, but their contract at least allows them to make good $$ for the programs until such time as they break up (assuming they won't be giving any new additions a full share immediately, it is more $ in the pockets of existing programs)

4's. Tulane is in NOLA, 'nuff said. Also, LA is a football state, near geographically and did I mention NOLA?
I do not follow the program so I have no idea, but has Tulane given any indication that they are committed to "big-time" athletics?

What if UT and OU are going to the Pac and the Big 12 has to add 4 teams just to survive ? Memphis, Houston, BYU and CO St.

Great news for us.

-Big 12 is choosing from a bunch of meh options, so whether they choose 2 or 4 that waters them down and permanently establishes them as the #5 conference and us as 3/4.

-UConn won’t get picked, but they’ll spend months talking themselves up and their fans will be positive that they’re a lock right up until they inevitably get rejected. And when you get right down to it, watching UConn fans slowly realize their place in the college sports landscape has arguably been the best part of realignment.

-And then when the dust settles, and the Big 12 takes 2-4 of their teams, the AAC will be a complete wasteland. It’s terrible now, imagine it without some combination of Houston, Cincy, Memphis, UCF/USF.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom