Big announcement at 1 pm today: Hop to Washington | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Big announcement at 1 pm today: Hop to Washington

I think we can get most Big East and AAC coaches. We could get some B1G coaches as well. Not sure we would pluck an ACC coach and getting to far into the SEC or Big 12 might be odd culturally.

Everything depends in whether Syracuse is willing to pay.
Wow I'm not sure about your first sentence

Yea, I don't know why people make things up. I've seen him at plenty of games. Talked to him at a few athletic events. His wife too. I think if anything what he didn't like was having to be so personally engaged with the athletic department because of Gross. But he's not anti-athletics.

Fake news.

I'm not sure how this thread about Hop taking the UW job turned into a JB is retiring/find our next head coach thread.

If you guys are having trouble reading through the tea leaves this means that JB is not retiring anytime soon. This delays JB's retirement 3-4 years, imo.
So, add 3-4 years to Beilein's age?

6 year deal compared to what at Syracuse? You know the $$ was better. And they just had a coach that they didn't fire until he missed the tournament 6 years in a row. That is job security. he was leaving for USC. he left for a great school in a great conference for more money and more years. And he wouldn't have a former coach of 40+ years watching every home game. I understand the move.
Seattle too. Also.

Dayton isn't exactly lighting it up.
They are a player developmen program.'
Griffin doesn't have an aces on his resume.
Recruiting is all about connections or being energetic. I don't see Griffin with either.
Jason Hart and Tony Bland have been better recruiters than Griffin.
Francis mentioned Herman Harried as being one of the guys we should target.
Harried could recruit.
I've been begging for Harried for a decade but I think he's super content with his career in high school administration and sports.

Griffin doesn't have an ace on his resume.
Recruiting is all about connections or being energetic. I don't see Griffin with either.
Harried could recruit.

Harried can't recruit. Think Orr.

Breaking: Syracusefan is losing Jake to the Dawgman board.
Yeah, but who didn't see that coming? Marsh has been working on him for years.

6 year deal compared to what at Syracuse? You know the $$ was better. And they just had a coach that they didn't fire until he missed the tournament 6 years in a row. That is job security. he was leaving for USC. he left for a great school in a great conference for more money and more years. And he wouldn't have a former coach of 40+ years watching every home game. I understand the move.

So more years, more money. So we can't even compete with the Washingtons in the world but we'll get somebody good to come here. I'm sure we'll get somebody decent but we're not a selector school and I doubt we get a power 5 established coach.

If this isn't telling where we're at as a program I don't know what does. Let's just brush this under the rug too, along with recruiting and our ACC record.

But hey! 2016 Final Four!!

It's not just the money. The overwhelming amount of pressure, continuous microscope along with a relatively short leash for success was a lot for Hop (or anyone for that matter) to bare.

Mack is the exact type of guy I think we could get. My point is that I think our fanbase will want much more.

The example I always use is Shaka Smart. We all know Syracuse is a better program and job than Texas. That said, I don't think he'd leave to come here.

A good number of our fanbase would be happy with GMac...so not sure I care about what they think.

Shaka Smart just did less with more than most coaches do in a lifetime. He's a good coach, but he had one good run. Mack has been good for a while.

I posted back in the middle of the season: a guy I know was at the UConn game at the Garden with one of the biggest boosters at SU. The booster said with certainty that Hopkins was no longer the coach-in-waiting and that SU would be getting a big name coach when JB is done. I guess that booster was right.

So more years, more money. So we can't even compete with the Washingtons in the world but we'll get somebody good to come here. I'm sure we'll get somebody decent but we're not a selector school and I doubt we get a power 5 established coach.

If this isn't telling where we're at as a program I don't know what does. Let's just brush this under the rug too, along with recruiting and our ACC record.

Maybe we didn't want to compete?

If we threw 6 years at Hopkins the meltdown here would be epic. Why would anyone give him a 6 year contract?

I'm not sure how this thread about Hop taking the UW job turned into a JB is retiring/find our next head coach thread.

If you guys are having trouble reading through the tea leaves this means that JB is not retiring anytime soon. This delays JB's retirement 3-4 years, imo.
Lots of ways to read the leaves. Could be JB's going to stay or going to leave now. It may seem clear to you, but JB is an independent sort who may value watching his kids play over coaching. It may not be as fun anymore...

Griffin doesn't have an ace on his resume.
Harried could recruit.
They light it up for who they are. And once again, what was troy Weavers great light them up recruits before he came to Syracuse? I'm not advocating for Griff at all. Only that we have no idea how could a recruiter he is or isn't. He hasn't recruited at a place like Syracuse.

Washington is a sleeping giant. In a great city where Huskies hoops is now the only (basketball) show in town.

No reason they couldn't or shouldn't be a national powerhouse with the right head coach.

It's not just the money. The overwhelming amount of pressure and continuous microscope Hop would've been under was too much to bare.

I believe this to be true. But it's going to be the case whomever the new coach is. It's going to take the right kind of person who isn't scared of the pressure.

If we threw 6 years at Hopkins the meltdown here would be epic. Why would anyone give him a 6 year contract?
We don't know. Maybe it's a 6 year contract that's really more like 4.

you are better than this. This almost trolling. I think Wildhack is doing cartwheels that Hop is leaving. He gets to hire his own guy. Why would h try and keep a guy that was forced on him?

It's funny that Washington believes in a guy we've been saying was going to be our coach for 10 years to offer him more years and money.

Jason Hart to Washington with Hop.

Good for Hop and Hart! UW is now officially my second favorite team. I wonder who the next assistant is. Any chance it's Devo lol? I'd much prefer someone more experienced, but couldn't you see Devo being a beast on the recruiting trail?

I posted back in the middle of the season: a guy I know was at the UConn game at the Garden with one of the biggest boosters at SU. The booster said with certainty that Hopkins was no longer the coach-in-waiting and that SU would be getting a big name coach when JB is done. I guess that booster was right.
Checkbook = Open

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom