Big announcement at 1 pm today: Hop to Washington | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Big announcement at 1 pm today: Hop to Washington

And I'm saying (speculating) Hopkins was ready to jump at any such deal. I still think (speculate) that JB and Hop remain ironclad. Hop loves JB too much and the school too much to jump ship on a whim - the two of them decided sometime in the past year or so that Hop should move on.
I don't believe that is true at all. I believe that this was the perfect storm. A new A.D. who wasn't in love with being "stuck" with Hop. A 72 year old coach that thinks he can coach forever and a offer that was too good to pass on. Hop was ready to leave for USC two years ago. That was before Wildhack.

Good luck to Hopkins.
We are in a tough situation but I am not upset at all.
The administration needs to show they will spend for SU hoops to be okay.

JB needs to up his recruiting involvement now.
IDK. First he isn't going to up his recruiting game. The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking JB announces retirement in a couple of weeks.

I personally prefer not hire Allan Griffin let him go with Hop.
Go after an ace recruiter.

Good luck to Hopkins.
We are in a tough situation but I am not upset at all.
The administration needs to show they will spend for SU hoops to be okay.

JB needs to up his recruiting involvement now.

Regardless, JB isn't getting any younger. It's hard to tell kids at this point you'll be around for their entire career.

No on Pitino for me.

As far as young Beilein - we can do a little better than the Lemoyne HC, can't we? Unless we make him an assistant.
Son of a fantastic coach and young enough that his success could bring us stability for years. Plus being unproven we could save some dough. I think it's a win win. If he struggles, he's gone after 2-3 years.

JB's son starts at Cornell in the fall and JB might like to watch his games. I'm not as convinced as most that JB wants to return for more. Retiring on his terms could include retiring with no significant notice. Maybe in two weeks as you suggest?
I'm not sure how this thread about Hop taking the UW job turned into a JB is retiring/find our next head coach thread.

If you guys are having trouble reading through the tea leaves this means that JB is not retiring anytime soon. This delays JB's retirement 3-4 years, imo.

Lots of mixed emotions...Hop has been so loyal...think about what must be going on behind the scenes for him to leave at this point. I am going to be a big UW fan now...thank you Mike for everything...we love you.

I personally prefer not hire Allan Griffin let him go with Hop.
Go after an ace recruiter.
How do you know how good a recruiter Griff is? What did you know about Troy Weaver before he came here? I ask this because my first thought on Griff was EXACTLY the same as yours. But we don't know. The people inside of college hoop know.

He wasn't at the S16 or E8 games last year and couldn't understand why people made a big deal out of his absence. I've been told by a member of the athletics inner circle that he hates athletics and doesn't understand their function or importance to Syracuse.

Wildhack's hire was vitally important due to Syverud's lack of interest in athletics.

He sat 4 rows behind me at both the S16, and E8 games

In any respect? That is just incorrect. there will be no shortage of top level guys that will be interested in our job. We won't be hiring Jim Christian.

Well I guess Hop selected Washington over Cuse. Couldn't wait a year?

We couldn't get a Chris Mack? We can't offer more than Xavier?
Mack is the exact type of guy I think we could get. My point is that I think our fanbase will want much more.

The example I always use is Shaka Smart. We all know Syracuse is a better program and job than Texas. That said, I don't think he'd leave to come here.

I'm not sure how this thread about Hop taking the UW job turned into a JB is retiring/find our next head coach thread.

If you guys are having trouble reading through the tea leaves this means that JB is not retiring anytime soon. This delays JB's retirement 3-4 years, imo.
That could well be. There is a scenario where all knew HCIW deal was off but JB doesn't announce retirement until Hop gainfully employed.

Gotta love the people that think boeheim is retiring in a couple weeks. Is that a joke? I mean how dumb can you be. This would be the WORST possible time to retire. We're still dealing with sanctions. NIT appearance. Major recruiting questions. And to top if off our long time coach in waiting leaves. Yeah boeheim is just going to take a couple more weeks and walk off in to the sunset. Unreal.

He sat 4 rows behind me at both the S16, and E8 games

Yea, I don't know why people make things up. I've seen him at plenty of games. Talked to him at a few athletic events. His wife too. I think if anything what he didn't like was having to be so personally engaged with the athletic department because of Gross. But he's not anti-athletics.

How do you know how good a recruiter Griff is? What did you know about Troy Weaver before he came here? I ask this because my first thought on Griff was EXACTLY the same as yours. But we don't know. The people inside of college hoop know.
Dayton isn't exactly lighting it up.
They are a player developmen program.'
Griffin doesn't have an ace on his resume.
Recruiting is all about connections or being energetic. I don't see Griffin with either.
Jason Hart and Tony Bland have been better recruiters than Griffin.
Francis mentioned Herman Harried as being one of the guys we should target.
Harried could recruit.

Well I guess Hop selected Washington over Cuse. Couldn't wait a year?
6 year deal compared to what at Syracuse? You know the $$ was better. And they just had a coach that they didn't fire until he missed the tournament 6 years in a row. That is job security. he was leaving for USC. he left for a great school in a great conference for more money and more years. And he wouldn't have a former coach of 40+ years watching every home game. I understand the move.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom