Big announcement at 1 pm today: Hop to Washington | Page 34 | Syracusefan.com

Big announcement at 1 pm today: Hop to Washington

Jim Boeheim's extension goes through the 2021-22 season when he would turn 77, per source.

From Zagoria.

I didn't even realize that Washington went 9-22 this year. If Hopkins gets them to the NIT in Year 2, he's a success.

Couldn't get past the first paragraph of Thamel's negativity.

Hey totally agree...I thought it was a hit piece. Didn't see it posted though so thought I would add it to the thread.

Hey totally agree...I thought it was a hit piece. Didn't see it posted though so thought I would add it to the thread.

You would be correct. Thamel never has a decent word to say about Boeheim or Syracuse. It's rare to see facts in his stories, just spin and an agenda.

But don't you think that'll be used against us for every single recruit? JB could leave at any time after next year. Opposing coaches know that. A 5-yr contract doesn't really prove anything so that uncertainty will remain.

K could retire at any time as well (especially with yet another health issue this past season). It hasn't hurt Duke's recruiting. A lot of these kids come to play for the assistants as much as they do the head coach.

K could retire at any time as well (especially with yet another health issue this past season). It hasn't hurt Duke's recruiting. A lot of these kids come to play for the assistants as much as they do the head coach.
Duke's a different beast though. They can target and land 1-and-dones. K is also younger, although only 3 years. But the biggest thing is K is still out grinding while JB has basically handed it all off, or so we've been led to believe.

Coach K said this a few months back: "I find that I’m recruiting more and more intensely than at any other time in my career, because of the frequency and the amount of work that goes into recruiting a youngster at that level."

If JB gets back out there, then fine, no arguments from me. But that hasn't been the case and because of that, his looming retirement can be played against us, even with a contract extension.

I didn't even realize that Washington went 9-22 this year. If Hopkins gets them to the NIT in Year 2, he's a success.

*9-22 with maybe the most talented player in college basketball...

*9-22 with maybe the most talented player in college basketball...
Absolute fact. Their point guard is projected number 1 in the draft. Romar could recruit. From what I understand, they've got another great class next year. Hopkins will be a star.

Absolute fact. Their point guard is projected number 1 in the draft. Romar could recruit. From what I understand, they've got another great class next year. Hopkins will be a star.
They HAD the top recruit coming in but that is likely over because his dad is going to Mizzou with Cuonzo Martin.

I'm never one to shoot the messenger, but this is without a doubt a hit piece of bitter proportions.
Did JB kill Thamel's dog or something? This is an unmitigated, self-loathing filled diatribe, that tries to crap all over JB, SU, and the athletic department as a whole. This wasn't business...this is personal. Sheesh!Oh Lord

Doesn't Thamel's piece belong in an editorial context? Lots of opinion, light on facts.

I've been saying Thamel's been garbage for years and people used to say I was sensitive lol.

Devo's idea of nutrition : twinkies and pop tarts for breakfast, snickers bars for lunch and 5 guys for dinner washed down by a six pack of bud.
Not sure if you were serious or joking but the Devo I see around is not the same 19 year old brash kid we remember. He has a family and seems to take being a good parent and providing very seriously. I saw him at an OCC basketball camp talking to the kids and he really connects with them. He has played professionally and understands what it takes to keep your body healthy to compete. Still not sure he would be my choice as the next assistant coach either but not for the reasons you give.
So basically JB moved everyone up.
So stupid to do this without kicking the tires on some ace recruiters.
If Devo becomes the new assistant then we should be scared.

So...

Do we think Hop left because JB got an extension
or
Do we think JB got an extension because Hop left

Hmmm

That's Bobby who coached at Buffalo. I would steer clear of both of the Hurley brothers. They're both lunatics. Danny is a very underwhelming coach, he recruits very well, but gets outcoached in the A-10 a lot. Bobby is the exact same way.

If Cuse looks outside of the program, Archie Miller would be a good option, he's great with alums and is a hell of a coach.

Two coaches to keep an eye on over the next few years if they get head coaching gigs:

Baker Dunleavy
Jay Larranaga

Looks like Dunleavy is going to get the HC job at Quinnipiac. Which means we have to beat Villanova to the punch in terms of hiring a good recruiter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom