Big Drop In Donor Rank | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Big Drop In Donor Rank

I would sincerely hope that is corrected. A nonsensical way to look at it.
Sesame Street Idk GIF

So, if you’ve donated for 30+ years or donated $10,000,000 in 2021 and then take a year off, you’re now a Nobody?
No. Your priority points for lifetime giving still apply. But current year giving is much more heavily weighted. And the giving level, which is the first sort criterion for donor rank is solely based on current year giving. It’s an okay system for annual benefits like parking priority, but the logic falls apart if you try to use it for a perennial benefit like seat locations that can be renewed in perpetuity

No. Your priority points for lifetime giving still apply. But current year giving is much more heavily weighted. And the giving level, which is the first sort criterion for donor rank is solely based on current year giving. It’s an okay system for annual benefits like parking priority, but the logic falls apart if you try to use it for a perennial benefit like seat locations that can be renewed in perpetuity

Man, I really hope that they don’t use that for reseating.

If they do I have feeling that would cause some long time season ticket holders being pretty upset

Call that number. I wouldn’t be surprised if they told you they were still testing. I’ve been #3 and #9,555. Neither are correct.

You don't know that. Someone could have bumped you from #2.

Man, I really hope that they don’t use that for reseating.

If they do I have feeling that would cause some long time season ticket holders being pretty upset
They implied they were giving extra points for longevity on top of the annual points to balance it out but they didn't specifically tell me how so who knows.

They implied they were giving extra points for longevity on top of the annual points to balance it out but they didn't specifically tell me how so who knows.
“we have reviewed the Donor Rank System and are preparing to adjust the calculation to recognize our season ticket holders who have shown loyalty and longevity by consistently purchasing season tickets for many years. “

Did I read somewhere on our board here that they are also looking for multi year commitments on seasons? I thought I did and I would think that would also influence peoples appetites for the "preferred" seating. Which could result in some people jumping higher up the list if true, as some decline longer commits.

“we have reviewed the Donor Rank System and are preparing to adjust the calculation to recognize our season ticket holders who have shown loyalty and longevity by consistently purchasing season tickets for many years. “

Hahahahahahhha. I called my ticket rep about the reseating issue. I’ve been a season ticket holder for 28 years. I asked how that will help me retain my current seats for football. His response was a word salad of which I still don’t understand, other than if I purchased basketball seasons, I would pretty much be assured of maybe , almost, you will still have your seats for football. Also, donate now and move up a level In donation status and pretty sure, maybe, ummm yea, you will still have your football seats. Oh, and with that extra donation, you willl get a better opportunity at the parking pass for foot ball you got screwed out of last year. GMAFB

Yes, however it sounds like they might be using your “donor level” as priority. This would be strictly how much you have given in the last year.

It then sounds like from the email that your priority points/donor rank will come into play with bonus points for longevity….

Which while yes, would help out with within your donor level…

If say, someone came in and donated 5k for one year and was in a higher donor level than you, they would be selecting ahead of you, regardless of how many bonus points you got for longevity. They then would have a better selection of seats. After that, they could drop back in donation but yet still retain their seats.

Of course, this is all coming from me just reading between the lines on the email…….

Did I read somewhere on our board here that they are also looking for multi year commitments on seasons? I thought I did and I would think that would also influence peoples appetites for the "preferred" seating. Which could result in some people jumping higher up the list if true, as some decline longer commits.

This will be specifically for boxes, and people looking to purchase tickets tied to the Kuhn Gameday lounge etc

I like to call these “super premium”

Yes, however it sounds like they might be using your “donor level” as priority. This would be strictly how much you have given in the last year.

It then sounds like from the email that your priority points/donor rank will come into play with bonus points for longevity….

Which while yes, would help out with within your donor level…

If say, someone came in and donated 5k for one year and was in a higher donor level than you, they would be selecting ahead of you, regardless of how many bonus points you got for longevity. They then would have a better selection of seats. After that, they could drop back in donation but yet still retain their seats.

Of course, this is all coming from me just reading between the lines on the email…….
Good point and observation. It’d be so counter productive to do that and claim to be rewarding longevity.

I was basing my thoughts solely on what they told me and others when I visited the lounge. There were some low donors who had seasons for a long time and they were led to believe that such longevity would ensure they could stay somewhere similar. Of course, the reps could have been wrong or just giving a high level talking point.

This will be specifically for boxes, and people looking to purchase tickets tied to the Kuhn Gameday lounge etc

I like to call these “super premium”

My dad's company had a box back in the late 80s, we'd get go to one football game and one basketball game a year. The goal I'd set for myself back then to be able to afford a box as an adult has not been met.

Good point and observation. It’d be so counter productive to do that and claim to be rewarding longevity.

I was basing my thoughts solely on what they told me and others when I visited the lounge. There were some low donors who had seasons for a long time and they were led to believe that such longevity would ensure they could stay somewhere similar. Of course, the reps could have been wrong or just giving a high level talking point.
There is a place that SUAD is using specifically for communicating all this info to season ticket holders.

The JMA Dome will undergo a reseating to address the new seating configuration and decreased capacities. All season ticket holders will need to select a new seat ahead of the 2024 season(s). The Seat Selection Process will be the formal process by which season ticket holders for football and men’s basketball will select new seats.

The Seat Selection Process will be based on ’Cuse Athletics Fund (’CAF) Donor Rank. All season ticket holders are ’CAF members and priority order for the Seat Selection Process will be determined according to their Donor Rank, which is calculated based on Annual Membership Level and Priority Points.

Under the #faqs page, you can find the following...

Donor Rank for the 2024 Seat Selection Process will be calculated from October 1, 2023 – May 1, 2024. To learn more about how Donor Rank is calculated, visit give.cuse.com/DonorRank.

The Annual Membership Level means the dollars you provide from 10/1/2023 to 5/1/2024. That categorizes to into one of nine levels SUAD has set up.

The priority points are only used to differentiate donors at the level they have been assigned based on what they donate from 10/1/2023 to 5/1/2024.

Here are the nine levels SUAD has been and will continue to use as broad classifications for donors...

Priority Grouping​

1 Director of Athletics Cabinet $50,000
2 Hall of Fame $25,000
3 National Champion $10,000
4 ACC Champion $5,000
5 All-American $2,500
6 All-Conference $1,000
7 Captain $500
8 Varsity $100
9 Orange Teammate $44

You will be assigned to a group and given priority based on how much you give from October 23 to May 1 2024. The priority points only come into play as a tie breaker within the group you are assigned.

So if person A who has never given money to SUAD gives $10,000 during this period, they will choose their seats before person B who gives $5000 during this period, even if person B has given SUAD $5000 every year for the past 40 years.

In this kind of a scenario, Person A will be classified as a Hall of Fame donor and Person B as a National Champion. Person A would presumably be given the lowest priority of all the people in the Hall of Fame group while Person B would presumably be given the highest priority in the National Champion group (or close to it).

There is a place that SUAD is using specifically for communicating all this info to season ticket holders.

The JMA Dome will undergo a reseating to address the new seating configuration and decreased capacities. All season ticket holders will need to select a new seat ahead of the 2024 season(s). The Seat Selection Process will be the formal process by which season ticket holders for football and men’s basketball will select new seats.

The Seat Selection Process will be based on ’Cuse Athletics Fund (’CAF) Donor Rank. All season ticket holders are ’CAF members and priority order for the Seat Selection Process will be determined according to their Donor Rank, which is calculated based on Annual Membership Level and Priority Points.

Donor Rank for the 2024 Seat Selection Process will be calculated from October 1, 2023 – May 1, 2024. To learn more about how Donor Rank is calculated, visit give.cuse.com/DonorRank.

The Annual Membership Level means the dollars you provide from 10/1/2023 to 5/1/2024. That categorizes to into one of nine levels SUAD has set up.

The priority points are only used to differentiate donors at the level they have been assigned based on what they donate from 10/1/2023 to 5/1/2024.

Here are the nine levels SUAD has been and will continue to use as broad classifications for donors...

Priority Grouping​

2 Hall of Fame $25,000
4 ACC Champion $5,000
5 All-American $2,500
6 All-Conference $1,000
7 Captain $500
8 Varsity $100
9 Orange Teammate $44

You will be assigned to a group and given priority based on how much you give from October 23 to May 1 2024. The priority points only come into play as a tie breaker within the group you are assigned.

So if person A who has never given money to SUAD gives $10,000 during this period, they will choose their seats before person B who gives $5000 during this period, even if person B has given SUAD $5000 every year for the past 40 years.

In this kind of a scenario, Person A will be classified as a Hall of Fame donor and Person B as a National Champion. Person A would presumably be given the lowest priority of all the people in the Hall of Fame group while Person B would presumably be given the highest priority in the National Champion group (or close to it).

And there you have it folks………..

This should concern a lot of people

Priority Grouping​

2 Hall of Fame $25,000
4 ACC Champion $5,000
5 All-American $2,500
6 All-Conference $1,000
7 Captain $500
8 Varsity $100
9 Orange Teammate $44

Perfect description of how the system works and why using it for what is in essence a perennial benefit - renewable seat locations - is a misapplication of what the system was meant to do. I understand it for annual benefits - like parking and post season priority - but the scenario you described is where it fails, particularly if you consider Person A can then drop back down well under the $10,000 level - or even the $5,000 level - in 2025 and still be able to renew his or her seats.

And the link to rank calculation includes all the details on how the sausage is made.

Priority Grouping​

2 Hall of Fame $25,000
4 ACC Champion $5,000
5 All-American $2,500
6 All-Conference $1,000
7 Captain $500
8 Varsity $100
9 Orange Teammate $44

Man, this seems like a really poor way to do this. Theoretically, a person who made a $1,000,000 gift on 9/30/23 but no gifts since would be considered a "non-donor?"

Man, this seems like a really poor way to do this. Theoretically, a person who made a $1,000,000 gift on 9/30/23 but no gifts since would be considered a "non-donor?"

kind of…

Obviously if they were purchasing season tickets they would be making a donation so they would get a donor level…but if they only did the minimum donation for the seats, their donor level would be very low compared to what they would have been the previous year.

Their donor rank would be high, they would likely be #1 in whatever donor level they were, but donor level would be low

kind of…

Obviously if they were purchasing season tickets they would be making a donation so they would get a donor level…but if they only did the minimum donation for the seats, their donor level would be very low compared to what they would have been the previous year.

Their donor rank would be high, they would likely be #1 in whatever donor level they were, but donor level would be low

Does a season ticket purchase count as a "donation?" No, right? As someone who works in fundraising, I fully understand the importance of current year giving. However, it's not the end-all-be-all when it comes to valuing donors, and there are certain donor groups that should always receive special attention and treatment when it comes to things like this. It will be interesting to see how regimented they are with this system when push comes to shove.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom