Big East likely to lose its AQ status | Syracusefan.com

Big East likely to lose its AQ status

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
Mandel, SI

commish.jpg

This would make for a good caption contest

Again look at this quote

"The commissioners with clout -- Slive, Delany and Scott -- will certainly be on board with a slimmed-down BCS. Delany and Slive have already hinted at a likely abolition of the two-teams-per-conference limit in the BCS' next go-round. One less automatic berth would mean one more spot for them. They would be far more forgiving if Tranghese were still in charge of the Big East. But then, if Tranghese were still in charge, the league never would have deteriorated into such a dysfunctional mess to begin with."

How does Marinatto get the bleeping job in the first place. It is unbelievable they are laughing in his face PUBLICLY you can imagine what they are saying in closed doors.

Again look at this quote

"The commissioners with clout -- Slive, Delany and Scott -- will certainly be on board with a slimmed-down BCS. Delany and Slive have already hinted at a likely abolition of the two-teams-per-conference limit in the BCS' next go-round. One less automatic berth would mean one more spot for them. They would be far more forgiving if Tranghese were still in charge of the Big East. But then, if Tranghese were still in charge, the league never would have deteriorated into such a dysfunctional mess to begin with."

How does Marinatto get the bleeping job in the first place. It is unbelievable they are laughing in his face PUBLICLY you can imagine what they are saying in closed doors.

I agree Marinatto should be fired but the same could be said of Tranghese in 2004, who started this mess. If Tranghese were still in charge SU, Pitt, and TCU would have left as well. And I doubt the other BCS leagues would let the BE keep its bid.

Not buying it, yet.

He's reasoning is a little soft. 'Conferences Getting Tired of...'

Dropping the BE if they rate out ahead of CUSA/MWC would be a major move. That would clearly trigger lawsuits and bring unwanted attention on the very dirty inner workings of the bowl system.

Also, he takes a shot at the ACC by saying they expanded because everyone else did, while everyone else expanded for money. Did he miss that the ACC expansion was driven by a desire to reopen it's TV contract?

Seems like he had an idea for an article to write, but didn't have exactly have the solid info to back it up.

I have a plan dammit, I have a plan, really, no really......I'm not kidding around guys !!!!

Not buying it, yet.

He's reasoning is a little soft. 'Conferences Getting Tired of...'

Dropping the BE if they rate out ahead of CUSA/MWC would be a major move. That would clearly trigger lawsuits and bring unwanted attention on the very dirty inner workings of the bowl system.

Also, he takes a shot at the ACC by saying they expanded because everyone else did, while everyone else expanded for money. Did he miss that the ACC expansion was driven by a desire to reopen it's TV contract?

Seems like he had an idea for an article to write, but didn't have exactly have the solid info to back it up.
Big East will not be above of the MWC in the next evaulation if TCU's last year is properly given to the MWC rather than the BE.
Last year UConn was #25
2009 Cincinnati was #3
2008 Cincinnati was #12
2007 West Virginia was #9.
4 year average- 12.25 outside of the 12 required.
MWC
Last year TCU was #3
2009 TCU was #6
2008 Utah was #6. TCU was #11
2007 BYU was 19
4 year average 8.5 how can anyone argue the Big East > Mountain West. Even with Utah, BYU, and TCU gone they have Boise State which has finished above the Big East champion every year expect 2009. It wouldn't shock me if we had a MWC champ vs. BE champ for a BCS bid in 2014.

Again look at this quote

I absolutely agree marinatto is unqualified for this job, but the idea that tranghese was a great commissioner is a bit of revisionist history. And his statements after Pitt and Syracuse left prove that football was forced on him and and he only really cares about PC.

Although I guess it really does speak to marinatto's total incompetence if tranghese is cokpared favorably to him.

We can't get out of this fast enough.

I think dropping the Big East entirely has political ramifications they'd rather avoid. Probably ends up having one bid dedicated to the best team out of the MWC/BE/WAC. The right play for the Big East at that point would probably be to try to pull in the best of the MWC...they're good at the top but don't have much depth. Somehow I think that the Big East leadership will continue to balk at having to add Boise State for all sports (as an example)...and the Mountain West will be the one to poach teams away from the Big East and will take the bid completely away.

Its staggering to me how poorly run the Big East is - we talked on the board for years about the best teams to go after to get to 12 teams...they finally are doing so after the horses left the barn. Too late now, dummies...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom