BIG MCKINLEY: Dear Brent, Leave Coach Babers ALONE | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

BIG MCKINLEY: Dear Brent, Leave Coach Babers ALONE

Dear Orange Nation,

I am taken aback by Brent's headline... "AXE: Dear Dino, when you're ready, we're ready." R U Serious? Let me help this disconnected writer out.

Coach Babers has ALWAYS BEEN READY! He doesn't have to comment on George Floyd's death, because he OVERSTANDS and has lived this throughout his life. Do you think Coach Babers has bounced around the country (with his family) so many times to get a shot at being only one of 13 black coaches in D1 Football and NOT be able to relate? Brent he doesn't have to comment, because his life exemplifies the reality that a few people can't get pass color.

Coach Babers doesn't have to make a statement, because his life ( and the entire coaching staff at Syracuse) exemplifies inclusion, from their marriages, their personal relationships, even their closest friendships. When Coach Babers says "FAMILY" he REALLY means it. That's why he said..." they don't know the kumbaya meetings the team had." He NEVER has to say a word because he understands what it took and the sacrifices he made for him to get a head coaching job.

Coach Babers knows that "Black Lives Matter", which is why he gave Jaquan & Devon a second chance when they messed up as freshman with an indiscretion, but he also booted a couple of black kids whom he knew had to go because they were poison for the program he was building at Syracuse. Jaquan gave up...& Devon changed his life - and Devon is one hellova young man who keeps it real & he is forever grateful for Coach Babers giving him a chance.

Coach Babers doesn't have to say anything because he has the wisdom to know that this can be a distraction if its NOT handled right. You have no idea how many times Coach Babers had to bite his lip and hold his tongue throughout his career (although he was right); because he had the foresight for his current position where he could make a real impact. That's not a sign of weakness, because discretion is the greatest part of valor.

Coach Babers also understands that ALL LIVES MATER. Think about it - no college coach would hire someone with almost no experience and pour into his life until he becomes a head coach himself, but Coach Babers did it. That gentleman is the current Head Coach of Kent State. Coach Babers saw past color. Unlike most decision makers did with him; Coach Babers saw the man's character. Which speaks volumes to the depth of his virtue, because Coach Babers also knows that "ALL LIVES MATTER."

If you want to write a story to address racism and use someone else as a cat's paw; Write about the racism white coaches have against white skill players. Now that will make you a lightning rod in college football reporting Brent. I'm gonna throw you a bone. There was a kid - Adrian Zullo who ran a 10.49 100 meter laser time, but he had to go to UMass because he wasn't black. He was similar to SEAN RILEY but he wasn't black. Do you know how many great white skill players that are discriminated against by white coaches? You have no idea, because your NOT current. That's how deep color affects the psyche of someone who has a racist mind set. In short, Stereotypes are real in the world of athletics...so lay off Coach Babers and blog away on the aforementioned topic and let's see if you get blackballed (pun intended).

Coach Babers doesn't have to say a word because, IF your BLACK; you already know he knows and HAS experienced Racism firsthand. ANYONE who is a black male has - so Wait until HELL Freezes because Coach Babers and EVERYONE on his staff gets it. Please DO NOT disturb the Awesome foundation this staff is building, because its special, its inclusive, and THE ONLY COLOR SYRACUSE FOOTBALL TEAM SEES IS ORANGE - LET'S KEEP IT THAT WAY.

LET ME REITERATE. "THE ONLY COLOR SYRACUSE FOOTBALL TEAM SEES IS ORANGE."

I salute the Board of Trustees, Football Boosters, and John Wildhack for taking your stand and letting your voice be heard by extending the Football Contract of the Most Integral, Genuine, and Authentic Orange Coach Syracuse will ever have in the person of Coach Dino Babers.

GOD BLESS AMERICA. GOD BLESS OUR FOOTBALL PROGRAM & GO ORANGE!!!
Absolutely outstanding commentary...much respect!

THE best. I dont follow recruiting much, I have no idea who your son is, but he is going to become one heck of a young man with a father like you. Nice work BEAR'S DAD, well done
Thanks - but I consider myself a regular guy who was fortunate to be reared by my Father who is a great man and apply what he instilled in me. My Dad graduated from Dillard High in Ft. Lauderdale moved to New York to attend RCA Broadcasting School, and met Myer Lansky who mentored my Father (along with a few other guys whose names begin and end in vowel sounds). I was just very fortunate to learn certain codes of honor from my Father.

Did Brent Axe ask JB the same question?

I don't have a subscription needed to read his column.

LOL, I saw that he had just started posting in April and thought he was new.

This won't be the last mistake I make today ;)
I'm in Orlando monthly 4 business & lunch with my friends & associates in the area. A close friend of mine buys and sells investment banking firms (i.e. broker dealers) from his Orlando office.

I'm in Orlando monthly 4 business & lunch with my friends & associates in the area. A close friend of mine buys and sells investment banking firms (i.e. broker dealers) from his Orlando office.
You should come visit the FSU tailgate when it happens again:)

To the OP: Well put.

Too many people forget that the right to free speech includes the right to choose when, where, and to whom a person will speak.

P.S. Thank you for being a good father to an Orange player, and a favored player at that. Your son is proof of the good you and your father have done.

You should come visit the FSU tailgate when it happens again:)

Heck no. LOL.

I don't even go to tailgates...because as a former Student Government President of Bethune-Cookman University & Florida International University I was the master event/party planner only because my father was the number one promoter with Atlantic Records at the time (; obviously he wasn't gonna let his namesake look bad). I only had a ton of music concerts on campus during the year in addition to the largest spring break in the history of Daytona Beach.

I just wanna chill & not have people trailing me assuming they are gonna miss something. Dude I had students flunking out right and Left. For example, on a small event I'd rent the largest hotel or two depending which music artist(s) who was in town, & as a student - for 5 BUCKS you get a room on the beach, ALL the food you can eat, & ALL the liquor you can drink, & entrance to the private concert. We're not even talking about the open events/concerts on Campus. In short, imagine every R&B or rap artist who came to the state of Florida " Volunteered" (wink wink) to come to Bethune-Cookman University just to give us a little earful.

I have literally only gone to 2 Homecomings since 1992, because too many people live in the past; which is why I enjoy Syracuse because NOBODY knows me and I can be a normal person without all the expectations.

Ben Crump (yes the big shot attorney) told me 2 holla @ him if I'm ever in Tallahassee . He & I grew up together in the same neighborhood & are both Q DOGS. Plus he's got real $tuff to lose like me so he will be responsible at a tailgate. lol

...but never say never.

Last edited:
Heck no. LOL.

I don't even go to tailgates...because as a former Student Government President of Bethune-Cookman University & Florida International University I was the master event/party planner only because my father was the number one promoter with Atlantic Records at the time (; obviously he wasn't gonna let his namesake look bad). I only had a ton of music concerts on campus during the year in addition to the largest spring break in the history of Daytona Beach.

I just wanna chill & not have people trailing me assuming they are gonna miss something. Dude I had students flunking out right and Left. For example, on a small event I'd rent the largest hotel or two depending which music artist(s) who was in town, & as a student - for 5 BUCKS you get a room on the beach, ALL the food you can eat, & ALL the liquor you can drink, & entrance to the private concert. We're not even talking about the open events on Campus. In short, imagine every R&B or rap artist who came to the state of Florida " Volunteered" (wink wink) to come to Bethune-Cookman University just to give us a little earful.

I have literally only gone to 2 Homecomings since 1992, because too many people live in the past; which is why I enjoy Syracuse because NOBODY knows me and I can be a normal person without all the expectations.

Ben Crump (yes the big shot attorney) told me 2 holla @ him if I'm ever in Tallahassee . He & I grew up together in the same neighborhood & are both Q DOGS. Plus he's got real $tuff to lose like me so he will be responsible at a tailgate. lol

...but never say never.

p.s. Thanks 4 the Invite

Do you follow Syracuse Football?
Since you're here, I'm gonna guess yes. ;)

Because McKinley "Bear" Williams has been on the team for 4+ years now.

We do not all know all their nicknames. I just recently learned this, mea culpa.
I am sure the poster meant no insult to Mr. McKinley, son or father.

Thanks - but I consider myself a regular guy who was fortunate to be reared by my Father who is a great man and apply what he instilled in me. My Dad graduated from Dillard High in Ft. Lauderdale moved to New York to attend RCA Broadcasting School, and met Myer Lansky who mentored my Father (along with a few other guys whose names begin and end in vowel sounds). I was just very fortunate to learn certain codes of honor from my Father.
Dad's are too often underrated, there's usually a good dad behind a good dad... funny how that works ;)

Great post. Your comments about white coaches has some ring of truth in it.

I also find it very interesting the number of times you see, on this fanboard (I don't frequent other boards) posters that compare white athletes (particularly recruits) to other white athletes and black to black. Very infrequent that posters will mix the two.

Wow must be some good stories

We do not all know all their nicknames. I just recently learned this, mea culpa.
I am sure the poster meant no insult to Mr. McKinley, son or father.
Of course not. Not @ all. I deal with many elected officials, & a handfull of agents - but those assignments are over (hence the silence).

There are, but it's hard living in a great man's shadow. Trust me.

Some old people still call me "Little McKinley" but they LITERALLY still call my Dad by his original radio name "Crown Prince." Meyer made that name stick. & yes I can tell U some stories that the older I get the magnitude just augments, because I realize more & more how much juice my Father really had.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom