Big Ten Attempt to Play Tourney in MSG Not Going Well | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Big Ten Attempt to Play Tourney in MSG Not Going Well

I live in Ballantyne.
I am going next year and go to the football championship every year.

Greensboro is the ACC HQ it will never be bumped permanently.

I would prefer Charlotte to Atlanta as I think there are more ACC fans here than Atlanta but if the compromise is one NC site then it would be Greensboro.
Greensboro also has the right size arena to have the tournament. Greensboro Coliseum seats 23,000. It's basically designed for the tournament. It's a different feel than the bigger cities. The whole town gets involved in the tournament. It's like Omaha is for the baseball world series. So the ACC will want to keep it on the rotation.

Greensboro also has the right size arena to have the tournament. Greensboro Coliseum seats 23,000. It's basically designed for the tournament. It's a different feel than the bigger cities. The whole town gets involved in the tournament. It's like Omaha is for the baseball world series. So the ACC will want to keep it on the rotation.
All I know about Greensboro is us Yankees drank my brother's wedding venue dry (beer).

All I know about Greensboro is us Yankees drank my brother's wedding venue dry (beer).
Sounds like you had a good time! What I'm trying to point out is that when the tournament is in Greensboro, they use the convention space to have the Fan Fest that goes on outside of the tournament venue, and they promote events at the ACC Hall of Champions Museum, they have country music concerts, and make the whole experience a family event with entertainment that is in addition to the basketball games. The ACC Hall of Champions Museum is basically a Museum of the Conference. It's next to the Greensboro Coliseum Complex.

Fan's guide to the ACC men's basketball tournament

Home | ACC Hall of Champions

The league basically celebrates itself when it has the event in Greensboro. The larger cities don't really do that. They just have the tournament. The advantage of the cities is the larger media presence. That has value. So Greensboro shouldn't be the only place to have it, but it should be on the rotation IMO.

Sounds like you had a good time! What I'm trying to point out is that when the tournament is in Greensboro, they use the convention space to have the Fan Fest that goes on outside of the tournament venue, and they promote events at the ACC Hall of Champions Museum, they have country music concerts, and make the whole experience a family event with entertainment that is in addition to the basketball games. The ACC Hall of Champions Museum is basically a Museum of the Conference. It's next to the Greensboro Coliseum Complex.

The league basically celebrates itself when it has the event in Greensboro. The larger cities don't really do that. They just have the tournament. The advantage of the cities is the larger media presence. That has value. So Greensboro shouldn't be the only place to have it, but it should be on the rotation IMO.
You lost me at country music concerts.

Greensboro stinks - multiple teams sharing hotels and no major airports. And that arena is in a depressed neighborhood. No thanks.

"There's no reason to play in Greensboro," Boeheim said Wednesday. "The only reason they play there is because the league offices are there, it's always been there, and there are like 150 people who like to have meetings. It should not be there."

or what is now commonly referred to in some circles as " a sh$TH*Le " venue.

Delany just announced that the "Big Ten condensed schedule will not be repeated"...= they won't be returning to MSG.

Translation, it has been a disaster.

I think an overlooked aspect of having your tournament a week early is that it will hurt their bubble teams.

Delany just announced that the "Big Ten condensed schedule will not be repeated"...= they won't be returning to MSG.

I think an overlooked aspect of having your tournament a week early is that it will hurt their bubble teams.
Out of sight, out of mind. For the conference used to having their title game lead-in to the selection show.

That Greensboro arena is in a strip mall... surrounded by tattoo parlors and quickie motels. I hope I never go back there. (And, as someone says, teams have to share hotels. The year I went there, we shared the airport Marriott with Duke. Every time I entered the lobby, there was Coach K).

Last edited:

Wow. Quick trigger. I thought they had MSG for two years? And in addition to the bubble teams, it might hurt the higher seeds like a Michigan State. Say you're playing well, win your tournament, now you sit for over a week? I think I heard some coaches were toying with playing exhibitions/practice games to avoid rust.

Last edited:

That week off may hurt all their teams.

I think they'll be fine. At the very least their fans will buy tickets for the novelty of it. They need Michigan in the final. Ohio State, Indiana, etc. Big alumni bases in New York, especially Michigan.
May be true but I don't think I know anyone who went to a Big 10 school other than Rutgers, Penn State, Maryland and Northwestern. And by far most of those people are Rutgers alumni.

Wow. Quick trigger. I thought they had MSG for two years? And in addition to the bubble teams, it might hurt the higher seeds like a Michigan State. Say you're playing well, win your tournament, now you sit for over a week? I think I heard some coaches were toying with playing exhibitions/practice games to avoid rust.

I seem to remember St. Mary's playing an exhibition game between the Conference and the NCAA tourney. I assume it can't be a D1 game.

May be true but I don't think I know anyone who went to a Big 10 school other than Rutgers, Penn State, Maryland and Northwestern. And by far most of those people are Rutgers alumni.

I’m sorry to hear that; very unfortunate luck there.

I spent a large part of my career working in Indiana/Wisconsin, so I know a lot of Big Ten grads and fans. When it was announced the tourney was going to be at MSG this year, I thought fans would be excited for the novelty of it...when I talked to folks they were either indifferent or upset it was going to be too far away for an easy road trip.

It doesn’t help that the local-ish schools are all terrible and/or indifferent to hoops. Penn State fans I talked to didn’t even know the tourney was at MSG. That was last week.

That Greensboro arena is in a strip mall... surrounded by tattoo parlors and quickie motels. I hope I never go back there. (And, as someone says, teams have to share hotels. The year I went there, we shared the airport Marriott with Duke. Every time I entered the lobby, there was Coach K).

That someone was me, and I was quoting you when we were there. :)

Reactions: cto
"That Greensboro arena is in a strip mall... surrounded by tattoo parlors and quickie motels. I hope I never go back there."

Boardroom Woman: And that's when the whores come in. Men laying there trick money down ...

book it !

I seem to remember St. Mary's playing an exhibition game between the Conference and the NCAA tourney. I assume it can't be a D1 game.
They wanted to showcase for the committee that Paddy Mills was healthy coming off an injury. They played a DII school. I don't remember but I don't think they got in, they were bubble and despite Paddy being back they still didn't go dancing, if I remember correctly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom