Biggest concerns moving forward | Syracusefan.com

Biggest concerns moving forward

grepal

Starter
There are a few to choose. If you have to pick one for this year would it be
Rebounding?
Defense?
Attitude?

It's a different question when we consider moving beyond this season but the question I am putting forth is related to the team this year. Frankly I am so concerned about these I can't focus on just one and I am usually very focused. I contemplated adding coaching but frankly, that is the lease of my concerns right now.

It’s focus and finishing out the season the best we can. Get 19 or 20 wins, have some things to build on and some things to move on from and get hard at work for next year.

A couple unexpected Q1 wins would be great but not expecting on any such thing.

Rebounding isn't getting fixed the rest of the way since Carey and Hima can't be counted on and everyone else is too small with the possible exception of Taylor. People need to get that pipe dream out of their heads.

On-ball defense is a problem too, but again, with our roster so thin guys can't afford to get in foul trouble so we'll probably just have to live with it. Maybe it'll improve a little as the team adjusts to the lack of depth, but it's a pretty low ceiling.

Attitude is something that's more within everyone's control. We're going to give up runs and fouls are going to pile up. Guys will get gassed, physically and mentally. Resilience and not taking everything so personally would be good skills for these guys to develop for the future.

Rebounding isn't getting fixed the rest of the way since Carey and Hima can't be counted on and everyone else is too small with the possible exception of Taylor. People need to get that pipe dream out of their heads.

On-ball defense is a problem too, but again, with our roster so thin guys can't afford to get in foul trouble so we'll probably just have to live with it. Maybe it'll improve a little as the team adjusts to the lack of depth, but it's a pretty low ceiling.

Attitude is something that's more within everyone's control. We're going to give up runs and fouls are going to pile up. Guys will get gassed, physically and mentally. Resilience and not taking everything so personally would be good skills for these guys to develop for the future.

Well, you CAN block out, many small-ish teams rebound relatively well by practicing this concept/skill repeatedly.

If they lose out, they will still have won more games than they deserve to. The league is bad enough where they can still win three more times if starling and Bell make shots. Goofy year. Hoping that Greenberg was delivering autry 's thoughts gives me hope for next year and the following year

Well, you CAN block out, many small-ish teams rebound relatively well by practicing this concept/skill repeatedly.
It also puts us out of position to capitalize on transition opportunities and creates chances to catch cheap whistles, especially on the road. It's not worth the squeeze.

I’ll add that the program and team needs an identity.

Who are we? What are we? Hell, why are we?

Let’s get those questions answered in a positive way.

It's the defense.

We've shown we can win games rebounding terribly. Assuming attitude is an issue, the best cure for that is winning games.

Rebounding?
Defense?
Attitude?

It's a different question when we consider moving beyond this season but the question I am putting forth is related to the team this year. Frankly I am so concerned about these I can't focus on just one and I am usually very focused. I contemplated adding coaching but frankly, that is the lease of my concerns right now.
The lack of depth and size is really going to hurt us. I know many posters are dismissive of Benny and McLeod and think they weren’t worth much, but I think they helped us. Now we have a really thin and much smaller frontline. It’s just hard to compete against the big frontlines in the ACC with only Maliq in there. Sure, Benny and McLeod weren’t great but were important pieces that helped us with rebounding, getting put backs and rim protection. And Benny could hit some jumpers. Maliq can’t do it all. You need backups and depth on the frontline, even if they’re mediocre.

I really believe the team had a chance to win at least 20 regular season games and sneak into the tournament if we had Chance, Benny and McLeod to give us some depth, especially on the defensive end and with rebounding. Key injuries and now losing Benny lowers the ceiling, not that it was all that high in the first place.

If they lose out, they will still have won more games than they deserve to. The league is bad enough where they can still win three more times if starling and Bell make shots. Goofy year. Hoping that Greenberg was delivering autry 's thoughts gives me hope for next year and the following year
what were those thoughts? I usually have kids screaming and running circles so I missed it.

Rebounding?
Defense?
Attitude?

For this year?

The concern is the depth and general talent. We don't have enough to compete.

This year is done, imo. It's working with the guys you want to see back next year and making progress with your general system for Red.

Reboundings the biggest concern.

Depth wont matter if you’re down 30 anyways.

Reboundings effort and toughness. I do not feel remotely bad calling this team ultra soft. The only acceptable rebounders are Cope and Maliq

We are too small and can't shoot and don't know how to play.
You think of smaller teams as being excellent shooting teams otherwise why you playing the small guys ?

This team is so flawed. We don’t have a complete player on this team. Everyone has some sort of major flaw that can easily be exploited and teams do that.

Maliq is the closest we have to a good all around player. JJ is getting there as his has been a lot better, defense has been getting better but still needs to work on the handles.

Judah can’t shoot, takes players off, lacks effort and quite frankly has made some really dumb plays this year. Q can’t shoot. The rest people know their flaws and they are plenty.

I think Autry legitimately needs to overhaul the whole roster.

Even if Mintz comes back for school, you show him the door, he has an attitude, he doesn’t buy into anyone but himself and if you are a new coach he is the exact player you CANT have on your team. We need “we” players not “me” players. Mintz is a big “me” guy. Right move with Benny, he needed to go awhile ago tbh. Those are you two biggest head cases right there, Mintz and Benny. You gotta let Taylor go, great kid, but he gives you nothing. Gotta let Carey go, he doesn’t give you anything. Let Hima graduate. Honestly wouldn’t be opposed to Cuffe leaving as well.

So show the door to:
Benny (already did)
Mintz
Taylor
Carey
Hima
Cufee

Next years roster:
JJ
Maliq
Copeland
Freeman
Westry
Moore
Bell
McLeod
Patterson
With the way JJ has been playing lately. I’m confident he can be a good scorer and all around player here. He figured it out. Maliq is a good all around player, consistent. Freeman has lottery potential. Copeland is a great role guy/6th man. Westry if healthy can be a good guy at the 2/3 and can handle the rock and pass. Just need a transfer center, combo guard and forward and I actually think this team has the proven talent and a lot less flaws than this years team

The coaching staff's inability to scheme around our lack of depth and roster deficiencies. Seems like we will just keep rolling the ball out there and hope it goes differently this time. I get going to a zone like we did last night but running that 2-3 was just giving them free points. Need to be more creative and coach the guys up to something new between games.

But I have very little confidence in that aspect at this point.

The coaching staff's inability to scheme around our lack of depth and roster deficiencies. Seems like we will just keep rolling the ball out there and hope it goes differently this time. I get going to a zone like we did last night but running that 2-3 was just giving them free points. Need to be more creative and coach the guys up to something new between games.

But I have very little confidence in that aspect at this point.
exactly

its like they are just using AI to come up with ideas...without any real edge involved.

its a big red flag imo

exactly

its like they are just using AI to come up with ideas...without any real edge involved.

its a big red flag imo

If you can scheme guys taller that would be helpful. Losing even a mediocre rim protector in Naheem (and whatever Hima was to provide) and Benny really makes us tiny headed into Clemson and more UNC (and that fat guy at NC State)

If you can scheme guys taller that would be helpful. Losing even a mediocre rim protector in Naheem (and whatever Hima was to provide) and Benny really makes us tiny headed into Clemson and more UNC (and that fat guy at NC State)
If I could take one player from Clemson - even back in December - it wouldn't be Joe, it'd be PJ Hall by a mile.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom