Biggest Need... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Biggest Need...

Status
Not open for further replies.
i remain high on jba in the long term at least

and i'm not the only one
I have no reason to be down on him, not yet anyway. But when you redshirt your biggest body and you are undersized by your historical standards it doesn't give me a warm and fizzy.

People will always rub your belly, but actions speak louder than works......

Biggest need as I see it is a strong, physical, aggressive 4 or 5 - or ideally a guy who can play both depending on who is in the game. A guy who can give you 10 and 8 and defend in the paint, and move well enough to defend at least adequately at the 4. A Rick Jackson/Rakeem Christmas/Terrance Roberts type. A kid with some toughness and the physique to knock some people around.

I normally only focus on recruiting during off season and the up coming class only, but looking at the class of 2021 we need to sign a minimum of one big and one wing.

Looking at our current offers we need one of: Elijah Hutchins-Everett, Franck Kepnang, Micawber Etienne

And one of: Quincy Allen, Benny Williams

I have a good feeling about getting Quincy or Benny they are in Red's recruiting wheel house and reportedly Woody and Benny are close.

I am concerned about the bigs for several reasons. First the fact that we may offer another big (Alex Tchikou) indicates a wide net being thrown, which means the coaches may not feel good about where we are. Second the drop off in talent from 4-5 star bigs to 3-2 star bigs is much larger than that of guards or wings. It's always a smaller talent pool.

Realistically, given how JB treats centers with disdain on offense ( the few exceptions prove the rule), why would a big with NBA aspirations come here?

Reactions: 007
The expectations for JBA are so low that if even got to Terrance Roberts junior and senior year numbers we would be ecstatic and Roberts was considered an underachiever.

We don’t have any depth in the middle and this staff RSed a freshman. If it wasn’t so funny it would be infuriating.

Buddy can’t graduate quick enough as the decisions from the top of the staff are frustrating. Again this season isn’t the issue. It’s the direction of the program.

It really depends on what Boeheim ultimately does/what he wants to do with the team next season. If we want to be a PnR heavy offense, Girard should be fine at PG and then we'll want a big that can set screens and be a threat either popping to the 3 point line or rolling to the hoop.

If Boeheim wants to continue with our recent offensive system, then getting a PG that can break down the defense is priority #1.

We also need to address rebounding from the forward positions in particular. Sidibe is generally pretty good as a rebounder, but everyone else on the team is terrible and Coach doesn't teach kids to box out so it exacerbates the issue.

It really depends on what Boeheim ultimately does/what he wants to do with the team next season. If we want to be a PnR heavy offense, Girard should be fine at PG and then we'll want a big that can set screens and be a threat either popping to the 3 point line or rolling to the hoop.

If Boeheim wants to continue with our recent offensive system, then getting a PG that can break down the defense is priority #1.

We also need to address rebounding from the forward positions in particular. Sidibe is generally pretty good as a rebounder, but everyone else on the team is terrible and Coach doesn't teach kids to box out so it exacerbates the issue.
Is Sidibe a good rebounder or is it just our team is bad at it and he is the best of that bunch?
I think Roberson was a better rebounder than Sidibe and Roberson didn’t play the middle and have more opportunities.

Is Sidibe a good rebounder or is it just our team is bad at it and he is the best of that bunch?
I think Roberson was a better rebounder than Sidibe and Roberson didn’t play the middle and have more opportunities.

I think Sidibe is at least a decent rebounder. Agree that it's hard to tell due to how bad everyone else is, but that's kind of the point. Replacing Sidibe won't remotely fix that problem, though it could theoretically fix the offense if Boeheim wants to go back to being a PnR heavy offense like we used to be 5+ years ago.

We need a man. Yes, a BIG man.
With an eye like an eagle and as tall as a mountain says me.
Someone brave, someone fearless, and as tough as a mighty oak tree.

Maybe with the touch of an artist and athleticism of a ballerina to boot.

Biggest need as I see it is a strong, physical, aggressive 4 or 5 - or ideally a guy who can play both depending on who is in the game. A guy who can give you 10 and 8 and defend in the paint, and move well enough to defend at least adequately at the 4. A Rick Jackson/Rakeem Christmas/Terrance Roberts type. A kid with some toughness and the physique to knock some people around.
The thing that people people need to remember is that it takes time for big guys at the 4 and 5 spot to develop into quality players, unless you’re a 5 star kid. Rak, who was a top 25 recruit, didn’t put it together until his junior and senior year. Jackson didn’t really start playing bigger minutes until his sophomore and junior years. So unless we bring in a 5 star in 2021, we’re gonna need to develop the guys we have or find a really good transfer. I like Edwards but he is a string bean at this point and will need to put on serious weight. JBA seems to have more ability to develop into a big strong kid. I thought Bourama would be bigger and stronger at this point in his career (right now I wish he’d just be better at defending the paint and blocking shots). Remember, the big center kid for Penn State is a senior. It took him time to become a capable big man.

Last edited:
The thing that people people need to remember is that it takes time for big guys at the 4 and 5 spot to develop into quality players, unless you’re a 5 star kid. Rak, who was a top 25 recruit, didn’t put it together until his junior and senior year. Jackson didn’t really start playing bigger minutes until his sophomore and junior years. So unless we bring in a 5 star in 2021, we’re gonna need to develop the guys we have or find a really good transfer. I like Edwards but he is a string bean at this point and will need to put on serious weight. JBA seems to have more ability to develop into a big strong kid. I thought Bourama would be bigger and stronger at this point in his career (right now I wish he’d just be better at defending the paint and blocking shots). Remember, the big center kid for Penn State is a senior. It took him time to get there.
I just looked at Rick Jackson’s freshman year he played 13.7 MPG and with a per 40 he would have averaged 14 PPG.
With how thin we are that is exactly what we need.
His issue was he basically split time with Ongenaet.
We can get Rick Jackson type recruits.

The thing that people people need to remember is that it takes time for big guys at the 4 and 5 spot to develop into quality players, unless you’re a 5 star kid. Rak, who was a top 25 recruit, didn’t put it together until his junior and senior year. Jackson didn’t really start playing bigger minutes until his sophomore and junior years. So unless we bring in a 5 star in 2021, we’re gonna need to develop the guys we have or find a really good transfer. I like Edwards but he is a string bean at this point and will need to put on serious weight. JBA seems to have more ability to develop into a big strong kid. I thought Bourama would be bigger and stronger at this point in his career (right now I wish he’d just be better at defending the paint and blocking shots). Remember, the big center kid for Penn State is a senior. It took him time to get there.

The kid at Penn St. is a 5th year senior. When rebounding against a guy who is bigger and stronger you basically have to face guard him so neither one of you get the rebound. Sidibe did a little of that in the second half and Guerrier was able to get a few of those boards.

We will need to gang rebound going forward. Start Guerrier and move Hughes to the point it adds a rebounder.

I just looked at Rick Jackson’s freshman year he played 13.7 MPG and with a per 40 he would have averaged 14 PPG.
With how thin we are that is exactly what we need.
His issue was he basically split time with Ongenaet.
We can get Rick Jackson type recruits.
I wasn’t saying that we couldn’t and shouldn’t land Arinze and R Jackson type center recruits. Of course we should be able to. I’m making the point that it takes a year or two (at least) for big men to develop into players who can have an impact. So it doesn’t matter who we bring in at center in the 2020 recruiting class, unless they’re an Isaiah Stewart level talent, it won’t help us NEXT season. That means we’ve got to develop the big guys we have on the roster—Edwards, Sidibe and JBA. Or we need to bring in an instant impact grad transfer (and JB would need to get over his aversion to them).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom