Biggest Need... | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Biggest Need...

Status
Not open for further replies.
What could possibly be the difference in JB in 1995, compared with JB in 2020? Sure seems like there would be some difference that might be of interest to 16 and 17 year old kids. What could it be? Can't put my finger on it...

Me neither. JB has landed kids from Bouie to Pearl, to Coleman, Owens, Carmelo, Gbinje, to Lydon to Hughes. He’s always landed great players.

Said the guy that always blames JB And refuses to give him credit.
I gave JB credit when he used to do the hard work on the recruiting. He stopped, let our best recruiter go elsewhere, and this is where we stand today.

If only JB had some other way to have seen Eli before that elite camp.

As a junior at Kennedy Catholic (N.Y.) Highs School in 2014-15, he was named first-team Class A all-state by the New York State Sportswriters Association … Averaged 15.7 points, 7.4 rebounds and 5.4 assists to earn the award and led the Gaels to a 26-2 record … Keyed a 23-0 start and Kennedy went on to win the city title and Gaels appeared in the CHSAA Class A state championship game … Played his first two years of high school basketball at Beacon (N.Y.) High School, averaging 12.9 points, 3.9 rebounds and 2.3 assists in 33 games.

You sure? Lol

SYRACUSE, N.Y. — Elijah Hughes got buckets, no surprise there. On this summer day, the soon-to-be-high school senior won a New York state tournament dunk contest, then scored 42 points against a team featuring Jimmy Boeheim. But there were two distinctions at the gym in Johnson City that make the afternoon essential to Hughes’ progression. The first was a spectator who happened to be there: Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim. The other lies in the timing: It was August 2015, following the July recruiting period and two months after Hughes had decided to play at East Carolina.

Jim Boeheim was in the bleachers, delighted by the skill set on display: size, shooting and a high IQ. He laughed it off earlier this month, but there was bewilderment at how a player this good in New York state had eluded his radar.

“He missed two shots the whole game,” recalls Jimmy Boeheim, now a junior at Cornell. “I went up to my dad after the game. I was like, Yo, who is this guy. Take a look? He was like, Yeah, I know.”

Incredulous, Jim Boeheim called associate head coach Adrian Autry a couple of hours later, asking how Syracuse hadn’t spotted Hughes earlier, before he had committed to another program. “Coach (Boeheim) is pissed we did not get on top of this,” Autry told Scott Timpano, Hughes’ high school coach. “We tried to tell him that he was right there, and we just didn’t see him.”

Also, that was a verbal intent, no signatures were scribed until November. We were able to flip Battle, if we truly wanted Eli, seems like there could have been a way to make that happen.

Could be this is just revisionist history...

I gave JB credit when he used to do the hard work on the recruiting. He stopped, let our best recruiter go elsewhere, and this is where we stand today.

If only JB had some other way to have seen Eli before that elite camp.

As a junior at Kennedy Catholic (N.Y.) Highs School in 2014-15, he was named first-team Class A all-state by the New York State Sportswriters Association … Averaged 15.7 points, 7.4 rebounds and 5.4 assists to earn the award and led the Gaels to a 26-2 record … Keyed a 23-0 start and Kennedy went on to win the city title and Gaels appeared in the CHSAA Class A state championship game … Played his first two years of high school basketball at Beacon (N.Y.) High School, averaging 12.9 points, 3.9 rebounds and 2.3 assists in 33 games.

He stopped? According to whom? I see JB at Peach Jam every year. He’s always out recruiting.

And he let Hopkins go elsewhere? That’s funny. I didn’t know JB had control over Mike. He’s the one that wanted to make Mike the HCIW. He’s always supported Hopkins and wanted him to take over when he left. Hopkins saw a great opportunity and took it. That’s not JB’s fault.

JB saw Hughes before his assistants did. You understand the assistants job is to find kids and recruit, right?

N
Also, that was a verbal intent, no signatures were scribed until November. We were able to flip Battle, if we truly wanted Eli, seems like there could have been a way to make that happen.

No we all know our coach doesn’t do that. Fans like we are dealing make it impossible to be fans.
I am a fan of Syracuse University.
I am of Jim Boeheim. I don’t worship the guy. Being objective means you are a hater.

Guess what? Hughes plays for Syracuse now. ;-)

He stopped? According to whom? I see JB at Peach Jam every year. He’s always out recruiting.

And he let Hopkins go elsewhere? That’s funny. I didn’t know JB had control over Mike. He’s the one that wanted to make Mike the HCIW. He’s always supported Hopkins and wanted him to take over when he left. Hopkins saw a great opportunity and took it. That’s not JB’s fault.

JB saw Hughes before his assistants did. You understand the assistants job is to find kids and recruit, right?
giphy.gif

N

No we all know our coach doesn’t do that. Fans like we are dealing make it impossible to be fans.
I am a fan of Syracuse University.
I am of Jim Boeheim. I don’t worship the guy. Being objective means you are a hater.

Eh...when you constantly rip the guy and refuse to give him credit you sure are. There’s nothing objective about your posts.

Have you ever done anything but defend the coach? One critical comment ever?

There are things I don’t like. I wish he was more like Hopkins or Self or Jay Wright when it comes to the media. Those guys are more personable, don’t generally get defensive and usually don‘t lash out at the media. But that‘s JB.

Coaching wise, not really. I‘d like to see more players getting more opportunities, but JB sees these kids everyday in practice. He knows who can help the team more than I do. The guy is a great coach and a brilliant basketball mind. That doesn’t mean he’s not wrong at times. He’s not infallible and makes mistakes. I just don’t see the point of second guessing everything he does, nor blame him for everything that goes wrong.

We were in the Top 3 for a Top 20 kid, and lost him to Kentucky. We lost another one, Bazely to the NBA. I don’t think the world is ending with recruiting, but It’s gonna get harder as JB nears retirement and there’s no plan in place, Wish Hopkins would come back, but not sure that’s realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom