Biggest Need... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Biggest Need...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone who thinks that JB doesn't know talent, is a fool.
JB didnt even offer Marcus.

Mike Hopkins did though. Who's got the eye?

A lot of schools recruited him, and considering who his brother is why wouldn't it be like picking low hanging fruit for him to come here after the platform we gave his brother?

Buddy becomes a walkon. JB gets a 250k raise to coach next year. Problem solved. JB gets extra money, he can pay for Buddy and nobody has to leave.

you keep saying that, but it’s not gonna happen that way. JB may get a raise next year, I have no idea what his contract says. But SU is NOT going to say,
“Here’s an extra $250k to make Buddy a walk on so you can have another scholarship player”.

It's not going to happen. His ego will never allow something that makes sense to make his son not have a scholarship.

It has nothing to do with ego.

you keep saying that, but it’s not gonna happen that way. JB may get a raise next year, I have no idea what his contract says. But SU is NOT going to say,
“Here’s an extra $250k to make Buddy a walk on so you can have another scholarship player”.

Well, he's an employee and has been for around half a century. I'm sure Buddy would get the full employee discount on tuition, and JB would be grandfathered into the older benefit, so, no, it wouldn't be like him paying an extra $250K. If he really wants this team to win before he retires and Buddy graduates, move Buddy to walk-on - it'll be damn near free - and then get a stud big man, if you can.

I'm sure Buddy is a great student and wonderful for our APR, if he goes off scholarship we lose the APR boost.

FYI (I am guessing that Buddy is a great student)

You make it like I say do it in plain light for people to comment on it.
JB’s contract is private information.
Why should the team have to force a current member of the team to transfer to stay at the 13 scholarship limit when JB can pay out of pocket for his son for 1 year and allow the team to have 14 “scholarship” players.

It’s stupd to force somebody out if that player can help the team.
This isn’t about Buddy one iota. It’s about taking an advantage of the fact JB can make him a walk-on for a year and get another scholarship player.

Well, he's an employee and has been for around half a century. I'm sure Buddy would get the full employee discount on tuition, and JB would be grandfathered into the older benefit, so, no, it wouldn't be like him paying an extra $250K. If he really wants this team to win before he retires and Buddy graduates, move Buddy to walk-on - it'll be damn near free - and then get a stud big man, if you can.

I only used the 250k because that what the poster used. I know what it would cost Jb. And it’s not damn near free and it’s not going to happen nor should it. You people are nuts. It’s now gone from SU giving JB the money for buddy to now JB should pay for it.

I only used the 250k because that what the poster used. I know what it would cost Jb. And it’s not damn near free and it’s not going to happen nor should it. You people are nuts. It’s now gone from SU giving JB the money for buddy to now JB should pay for it.
I just said the school can give JB a “raise” keep it private. Use that raise to pay whatever costs and JB gets a little extra.

Why run off a player currently on this team if nobody wants to leave when making Buddy a walk-on for year is an option.

It’s insane to even to debate this. It makes all the sense in the world.
Instead nah let’s push Elijah Hughes to go pro or let Jalen Carey transfer.

I just said the school can give JB a “raise” keep it private. Use that raise to pay whatever costs and JB gets a little extra.

Why run off a player currently on this team if nobody wants to leave when making Buddy a walk-on for year is an option.

It’s insane to even to debate this. It makes all the sense in the world.
Instead nah let’s push Elijah Hughes to go pro or let Jalen Carey transfer.

Now we’re running off players to keep buddy on scholarship.

You realize we have no seniors on the team this year right?
You realize we have 2 recruits coming in. We are 1 over the limit RIGHT NOW for next year.
Somebody has to go on this roster now or Buddy can become a walk-on and nobody has to go.

If Hughes doesn’t want to go pro.
Then somebody on scholarship currently on the team has to leave the team.
You are actually aware of this right?
I mean nobody is saying this Buddy’s fault at all. This about keeping as much talent to develop as possible.

Having Buddy as a walk-on allows Syracuse to have 14 scholarship players on the team.
None of this is a negative against him being on the team at all.

1. JG3
2. Washington
3. Hughes
4. Sidibe
5. Dolezaj
6. Guerrier
7. Goodine
8. JBA
9. Edwards
10. Braswell
11. Carey
12. Buddy

We have 1 open scholarship this year.
With Richmond and Newton coming in.
That puts us 1 over the 13 Limit.

Somebody on this roster HAS TO LEAVE or go off scholarship.
Why don’t you get the point.

What is better for the program to have Carey/Braswell/Washington as a Senior rotation in 2021-22 and JB paying for 1 year of Buddy as a walk-on for 2020-21 or one of Braswell/Carey/Washington transfer after this year?

You realize we have no seniors on the team this year right?
You realize we have 2 recruits coming in. We are 1 over the limit RIGHT NOW for next year.
Somebody has to go on this roster now or Buddy can become a walk-on and nobody has to go.

If Hughes doesn’t want to go pro.
Then somebody on scholarship currently on the team has to leave the team.
You are actually aware of this right?
I mean nobody is saying this Buddy’s fault at all. This about keeping as much talent to develop as possible.

Having Buddy as a walk-on allows Syracuse to have 14 scholarship players on the team.
None of this is a negative against him being on the team at all.

1. JG3
2. Washington
3. Hughes
4. Sidibe
5. Dolezaj
6. Guerrier
7. Goodine
8. JBA
9. Edwards
10. Braswell
11. Carey
12. Buddy

We have 1 open scholarship this year.
With Richmond and Newton coming in.
That puts us 1 over the 13 Limit.

Somebody on this roster HAS TO LEAVE or go off scholarship.
Why don’t you get the point.

The point is, JB knows who’s coming and going. If he chooses to take buddy off schollie, that’s up to him. But a few of you think that if he doesn't he’s an idiot, or selfish, or ignorant. Why don’t you get that point?

What is better for the program to have Carey/Braswell/Washington as a Senior rotation in 2021-22 and JB paying for 1 year of Buddy as a walk-on for 2020-21 or one of Braswell/Carey/Washington transfer after this year?

sheer brilliance

The point is, JB knows who’s coming and going. If he chooses to take buddy off schollie, that’s up to him. But a few of you think that if he doesn't he’s an idiot, or selfish, or ignorant. Why don’t you get that point?
Where did I call him selfish or ignorant.
All I said is if nobody on this roster wants to leave then the only logical thing to do is make Buddy a walk-on for one year.

Hey, don't get angry, it's just a suggestion. We know that JB is one of the most competitive people out there.
I don't think it's out of the question for him to consider something like that if it could help him land that missing "stud" player who could make us elite again.

We've only got 2 years left to do it (and realistically, only 1 year, since this recruiting class is presumably done). So if we could get an Isaiah Stewart kind of guy (or a Fab Melo, for that matter), it would only be Buddy being walk-on status for one year.

If JB doesn't want that because it's his kid and "My kid in NOT a walk-on", well, we all know Buddy is talented enough to be an ACC player. He's already shown that. So it shouldn't be an ego-driven decision. He should think about what he could do with his roster.

If the choice is chasing off another player to take a better one, is that what you prefer? Is that really any better for the team?

Well, do you think this team is good enough with the 2 kids we have committed right now?
What is the ceiling for this roster in the next 2 years?
Do you see this roster making a Sweet 16?
Because if your answer is "no", then I think he needs to examine ways to get another elite player or two.

In one post earlier in this thread, you complain about people asking Buddy to go walk-on to improve the roster, and here, in another post in the same thread, you complain about potentially running off players to make room for an elite one, so that Buddy can stay on scholarship.

So which is more important - (1) Buddy remaining on scholarship and not forcing out any kids and being a bubble team for another couple years until JB retires, or (2) making a move to open a roster space to try to get that talented big man with sufficient size and athleticism to anchor the zone?

In my opinion, this team isn't going anywhere without a couple great players - a really top PG and a big man with enough size that we don't get bullied down low.

Hey, don't get angry, it's just a suggestion. We know that JB is one of the most competitive people out there.
I don't think it's out of the question for him to consider something like that if it could help him land that missing "stud" player who could make us elite again.

We've only got 2 years left to do it (and realistically, only 1 year, since this recruiting class is presumably done). So if we could get an Isaiah Stewart kind of guy (or a Fab Melo, for that matter), it would only be Buddy being walk-on status for one year.

If JB doesn't want that because it's his kid and "My kid in NOT a walk-on", well, we all know Buddy is talented enough to be an ACC player. He's already shown that. So it shouldn't be an ego-driven decision. He should think about what he could do with his roster.

If the choice is chasing off another player to take a better one, is that what you prefer? Is that really any better for the team?
We are already over the limit right now if we don’t add anyone else.
We currently have 12 players on this roster taking scholarships + 1 walkon probably.
We have 2 recruits coming in next year.
So that is 14 somebody on this roster has to go off scholarship.
Either via transfer, going pro, or the suggestion I made.

This has absolutely nothing to do with Buddy being able to play or not. We all know we can. When Andre Drummond went to UConn for 1 year he was a walkon.

Somebody getting forced out isn’t ideal but that is probably going to happen because my suggestion is selfish, Ignorant and calling JB stupid apparently.

If Stewart chose Syracuse it would have caused 2 players to have to leave or one become a walkon and leave.

Hughes is a much better prospect than Battle. I could see him in the first round.

Hughes needs a crossover move. He's got a very good shooting stroke, he shows more floor game than Battle ever did, but without a crossover, he's in position like if Wes Johnson was still at Iowa State. No way Wes Johnson makes the lottery without coming to Syracuse and playing on a team that had a chance to win it all. Wes had no handle to speak of. That's what made him a journeyman in the pros.

Prediction. If anyone leaves, regardless of their reason (NBA, lack of PT, doesn’t like school, etc), a few posters will push the conspiracy theory that they were forced out so that Buddy could keep his scholarship. Sad.

Don’t walk-ons lose certain privledges afforded to scholarship players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom