Biggest takeaway from presser | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Biggest takeaway from presser

Haha look at the wins and losses. The proof is in the pudding. Take off your orange glasses for once.

You are obviously upset with the number of loses.

But loses happen and programs are cyclical and hundreds of other schools are trying to win too.

Lots of losses dos not automatically mean the coaching staff is doing a bad job.

And, oh by the way, you setting of a goal of Top 10 recruiting class is flaky. Recruiting rankings are wildly unreliable and we recruit to our needs and not Kentucky's.

Your first mistake is looking at the majority of fans on the board.

The facts are the last 3 years have brought us Tyus Battle, Taurean Thompson, Malachi Richardson, Tyler Lydon, and Chris McCullough. Seems like a pretty good haul to me.

edit: +Kaleb, TBD Frank Howard and TBD Matt Moyer

If recruiting has been so good, why haven't we produce good teams? Respectable posters such as Francis, have not been thrilled with the staffs recruiting efforts. Others as well, who are much closer to the recruiting scene feel the same way. Just because I have a realistic point of view that doesn't go along with the orange narrative, doesn't make me wrong. We have had 3 years in a row in the middle of the pack.

Your first mistake is looking at the majority of fans on the board.

The facts are the last 3 years have brought us Tyus Battle, Taurean Thompson, Malachi Richardson, Tyler Lydon, and Chris McCullough. Seems like a pretty good haul to me.

You could make the case that our recruiting has been too good.

If recruiting has been so good, why haven't we produce good teams? Respectable posters such as Francis, have not been thrilled with the staffs recruiting efforts. Others as well, who are much closer to the recruiting scene feel the same way. Just because I have a realistic point of view that doesn't go along with the orange narrative, doesn't make me wrong. We have had 3 years in a row in the middle of the pack.

because all of our good players went to pros and a couple of the early departures were not expected. its not easy to reload first round draft picks.

but again, we went to a final four last year and I don't want to hear any spin about it.

...and there is also that thing called sanctions. ya know, less scholarships and less coaches on the road recruiting. And you've gotten away from the point that transitioning to Hop has been a big issue. (its the same thing in football when a coach is on the hot seat and you know he's going to be fired)

because all of our good players went to pros and a couple of the early departures were not expected. its not easy to reload first round draft picks.

but again, we went to a final four last year and I don't want to hear any spin about it.

...and there is also that thing called sanctions. ya know, less scholarships and less coaches on the road recruiting. And you've gotten away from the point that transitioning to Hop has been a big issue.
Other schools lose kids every year as well. We missed badly on a few guys who weren't Syracuse caliber. Coaches know there is a potential that guys will leave. Why can't we recruit any guards these past few years? If we didn't have that run last year, you'd be singing a different tune.

I could care less if we recruited a roster full of Solvay and Liverpool kids. What I do care about is if we're winning games and nationally relevant. And not in a season long discussion of whether game X puts us in the bubble conversation.

I could care less if we recruited a roster full of Solvay and Liverpool kids. What I do care about is if we're winning games and nationally relevant. And not in a season long discussion of whether game X puts us in the bubble conversation.
That's all I'm saying. Some people define success as getting kids to the NBA. We aren't recruiting for NBA teams, we are recruiting for Syracuse Basketball to be successful.

Precisely, so my point is there are no more excuses when he doesn't produce better recruits in the next few years.

It has to be top 10 classes? We've had top 10 classes, but it was never a yearly ritual.

It has to be top 10 classes? We've had top 10 classes, but it was never a yearly ritual.
No, I threw out an arbitrary number. But we need to get well balanced classes. I want some solid guard commits.

My biggest takeaway is that many here are losing their mind, and SU basketball isn't good for their blood pressure.

Deep breaths, and possibly we can setup some board wide physicals. Just to check on the health of some. BP meds may be needed. We don't want to lose anyone in the family.

If recruiting has been so good, why haven't we produce good teams?

Two Final Fours in 5 years. I wonder how many schools would trade with us?

I agree with this...

The following, among other things, are things that could not be foreseen OR prevented...

Coleman's injury
Malachi Richardson's departure

You could make the case that our recruiting has been too good.

Two Final Fours in 5 years. I wonder how many schools would trade with us?

I agree with this...

The following, among other things, are things that could not be foreseen OR prevented...

Coleman's injury
Malachi Richardson's departure

Not only do I think they misjudged Coleman's talent, but they absolutely could've seen the injury coming. They had four years to find a capable backup for a kid who was hurt early and often.

My biggest takeaway is that many here are losing their mind, and SU basketball isn't good for their blood pressure.

Deep breaths, and possibly we can setup some board wide physicals. Just to check on the health of some. BP meds may be needed. We don't want to lose anyone in the family.

Could update the Dome with seatback seating complete with bp monitor and ekg! Definitely need a prescription plan. And our players could pop a few pills that would make them as tall as Alice.

I think JB said Mac was the lead recruiter for Sidibe? Don't see many people here giving Gerry credit for that one? Probably ends up being a pretty good get. Dude is a young coach, he will eventually start to bring in better players. Everyone here needs to freaking relax a little bit.

I have repeatedly said Gerry was the primary recruiter for Sidibe.

I have repeatedly said Gerry was the primary recruiter for Sidibe.
Yes you have, and that is not the issue. The issue has been landing top level guard talent. Big men are no good if they don't have a reliable person to pass them the ball.

You are obviously upset with the number of loses.

But loses happen and programs are cyclical and hundreds of other schools are trying to win too.

Lots of losses dos not automatically mean the coaching staff is doing a bad job.

And, oh by the way, you setting of a goal of Top 10 recruiting class is flaky. Recruiting rankings are wildly unreliable and we recruit to our needs and not Kentucky's.
I agree with this. If Quade Green had said "Syracuse instead of "Kentucky" many Chicken Littles would lose their argument that things are shaky. My point: one 5-foot-11 point guard from Philly is not a proper measure of the health of SU's program. Do I wish he'd come to SU. Sure, it would have been a strong get, but we've swung and missed before. Win some, lose some. The program never hinges on one player or one class.

One the bright side, I am excited to see how Red steps forward with this enhanced opportunity.

Yes you have, and that is not the issue. The issue has been landing top level guard talent. Big men are no good if they don't have a reliable person to pass them the ball.

Oh, I agree 100%. I was just correcting what the other poster said.

but putting kids into the nba early should be a major selling point and not necessarily a bad thing.

I agree with this. If Quade Green had said "Syracuse instead of "Kentucky" many Chicken Littles would lose their argument that things are shaky. My point: one 5-foot-11 point guard from Philly is not a proper measure of the health of SU's program. Do I wish he'd come to SU. Sure, it would have been a strong get, but we've swung and missed before. Win some, lose some. The program never hinges on one player or one class.

One the bright side, I am excited to see how Red steps forward with this enhanced opportunity.
Totally untrue, the program does hinge on a solid PG at this point. If we roll into next season with what we have, you are looking at 15 wins.

but putting kids into the nba early should be a major selling point and not necessarily a bad thing.
Not a bad thing at all, but we also need to do well with program guys. That's been my biggest issue, we can't sustain the 1 and dones like Duke and Kentucky. We can't afford to miss out on 3 or 4 recruits in the matter of 1 to 2 recruiting cycles. That's what we did, and now the pipeline is low. We haven't even using our schollies.

I don't know what that means. Coleman not only was an overweight recruit, but he was injured in both of his first two years at SU. Of course a future knee injury was foreseeable.
Hate to say it, but we may have been better off with Coleman if he went elsewhere. He was a great ambassador and an awesome guy, but he didn't play much in 4 years. That's a scholarship we could have used for someone who contributed.

(Don't bash me, I love Coleman, just looking at productivity/injuries)

and of course it would be an even better selling point if they hit the league and did something.

Other schools lose kids every year as well. We missed badly on a few guys who weren't Syracuse caliber. Coaches know there is a potential that guys will leave. Why can't we recruit any guards these past few years? If we didn't have that run last year, you'd be singing a different tune.

where to begin with this post. lets just start with 'name them.' name the schools that are losing players every year as well. lets analyze that first and go from there.

(i always love the IF posts.)