Biggest takeaway from presser | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Biggest takeaway from presser

i think another program (kentucky) rolling into CNY and stealing DJC would've looked very bad indeed.
i'm glad he choose syracuse.

I agree with this. If Quade Green had said "Syracuse instead of "Kentucky" many Chicken Littles would lose their argument that things are shaky. My point: one 5-foot-11 point guard from Philly is not a proper measure of the health of SU's program. Do I wish he'd come to SU. Sure, it would have been a strong get, but we've swung and missed before. Win some, lose some. The program never hinges on one player or one class.

One the bright side, I am excited to see how Red steps forward with this enhanced opportunity.
Folks don't have an issue with Green selecting Kentucky. The problem was excluding all other potentially interested guards and then having the HC and HCIW spending the summer with a team that wasn't Syracuse.

where to begin with this post. lets just start with 'name them.' name the schools that are losing players every year as well. lets analyze that first and go from there.

(i always love the IF posts.)
Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, Arizona.

Heck, Washington is losing a freshman to the NBA two years in a row.

FSU is losing underclassmen again, as well as California.

It's all over the country right now, it's not just blue bloods. Coaches need to be prepared to restock rosters. It's plain as day, don't understand what is so hard to comprehend?

Not only do I think they misjudged Coleman's talent, but they absolutely could've seen the injury coming. They had four years to find a capable backup for a kid who was hurt early and often.

Did Kentucky and OSU misjudge his talent also? Me thinks not.

We lose recruits to Duke and Kentucky WITH JB at the helm.
You would be one of the first to say we are not on the same level as those two schools. So a 5 star is going to be much harder to get from those two and a couple others.

I don't know what that means. Coleman not only was an overweight recruit, but he was injured in both of his first two years at SU. Of course a future knee injury was foreseeable.

I assume the argument was that it wasn't foreseeable when we recruited him. If you mean at some point during his SU career it became foreseeable that he would never contribute to the level that we had hoped when we recruited him, that's a given. I'm just not sure that there was an opportunity to do anything about it. You couldn't force him out, because unlike Patterson, Joseph or BJ the injury status probably meant that he didn't have a landing spot.

It's one thing to tell recruits that yes sometimes we discover that kids aren't as good as we thought they were when we recruited them and we work with them to find more advantageous situations. Wholly different thing to explain forcing a kid who is injured out.

I don't know what that means. Coleman not only was an overweight recruit, but he was injured in both of his first two years at SU. Of course a future knee injury was foreseeable.

What this means is that it's an easy thing to say they "should have known" now that it has actually happened, and sound like a genius.

It's like saying, "If those coaches only knew basketball prospects like I know basketball prospects, they would have seen this possibility and never recruited DC."

But saying it doesn't make it true.

Deep breaths, and possibly we can setup some board wide physicals. Just to check on the health of some. BP meds may be needed. We don't want to lose anyone in the family.

I hear CuseTroop is offering those for any of you guys who don't mind cold hands.

well santiago's rowing out into the blue in the hopes of landing one more big fish.

EXHIBITIONIST-CLASSICS-IN-REVIEW-415-The-Old-Man-and-the-Sea-a.jpg

(or the old man and the ncaa)

My biggest takeaway is that many here are losing their mind, and SU basketball isn't good for their blood pressure.

Deep breaths, and possibly we can setup some board wide physicals. Just to check on the health of some. BP meds may be needed. We don't want to lose anyone in the family.

BP meds? Try Lithium.

well santiago's rowing out into the blue in the hopes of landing one more big fish.

EXHIBITIONIST-CLASSICS-IN-REVIEW-415-The-Old-Man-and-the-Sea-a.jpg

(or the old man and the ncaa)

Nice allusion. Made me think of, "If only the boy were here ... if only the boy were here ..." :)

Not a bad thing at all, but we also need to do well with program guys. That's been my biggest issue, we can't sustain the 1 and dones like Duke and Kentucky. We can't afford to miss out on 3 or 4 recruits in the matter of 1 to 2 recruiting cycles. That's what we did, and now the pipeline is low. We haven't even using our schollies.
Not arguing with You, but the idea of "program guys" being something to build on.

We have had a lot of Program Guys. They often disappoint us, don't develop enough to help us, and/or transfer out. We have had a LOT of transfers from our program. The few guys who stay 3-4 years, who weren't highly-regarded as high school recruits, and who make significant impacts—that's a short list.

Let's say Taurean Thompson is a Program Guy. That's what you get out of a player like that, what we saw this year. Flashes of a really good offensive player, balanced by significant shortcomings. Then, you have a guy like Battle, who will probably not be here more than two years. Ignoring the different positions, which type of player do you want to recruit?

Saying we need a mix of both assumes we have the luxury of foresight and can effectively 'blend' the Impact with the Program kids so that 1) we have the right mix of depth, and B) everyone is satisfied with their roles. That's a tough ask. When it happens, it seems largely accidental/incidental.

I didn't realize Boeheim ran half of practice.
I thought it was less than that, so i was pleasantly surprised to read it was half. Sad!

Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, Arizona.

Heck, Washington is losing a freshman to the NBA two years in a row.

FSU is losing underclassmen again, as well as California.

It's all over the country right now, it's not just blue bloods. Coaches need to be prepared to restock rosters. It's plain as day, don't understand what is so hard to comprehend?

That's exactly right. Those 4 plus UNC are the only teams that do it and then reload with 3/4 more McDs. Nobody else can do it. Syracuse has never done it ever. Your other 3 teams, Washington, FSU, Cal all blow. And I'll bet all the other teams that lose kids do to.

fine I shouldn't have used those two programs as examples but the main point was that it's pretty easy for ANY school to recruit against the transition to mike hopkins. the guy with no track record and no system. They guy who went 4-5 with a final four team.

Boeheim also went 4-5 with that same Final Four team before the NCAA Tournament started.

Haha look at the wins and losses. The proof is in the pudding. Take off your orange glasses for once.

Listen to the Wildhack - Boeheim press conference very carefully.

And Uncle Jimmy will explain to you why SU losses are up and why almost everybody else's losses are up too.

When you are finished take time to reflect on what was said. Then you will understand and not be in such a panic over more SU losses.

it's just a little baffling to me why the syracuse guys who can't even make an all conference team jump to the NBA while the 1st and second team acc blue bloods return for another year. what's going on there ?

it's just a little baffling to me why the syracuse guys who can't even make an all conference team jump to the NBA while the 1st and second team acc blue bloods return for another year. what's going on there ?

All Conference teams aren't looking at potential. The NBA is.

Listen to the Wildhack - Boeheim press conference very carefully.

And Uncle Jimmy will explain to you why SU losses are up and why almost everybody else's losses are up too.

When you are finished take time to reflect on what was said. Then you will understand and not be in such a panic over more SU losses.
In addition to what JB said, we're playing as many as three former Big East opponents per year. That's three more teams familiar with our defense and how to attack it. (Wisconsin has played us enough times over the last several years to now be in that category as well.)

Even when we were finishing at or around .500 in the Big East, we were getting double-digit victories OOC. That's not going to happen as often if we continue these BE rivalries.

Hate to say it, but we may have been better off with Coleman if he went elsewhere. He was a great ambassador and an awesome guy, but he didn't play much in 4 years. That's a scholarship we could have used for someone who contributed.

(Don't bash me, I love Coleman, just looking at productivity/injuries)
Monday morning quarterbacks are a dime a dozen.

JB stated that recruiting was affected by the transition to Hop. Recruits want to play for him... So let's see if he can pull top 10 recruiting classes these next two years.

LOL
I wish, but I'm certainly not holding my breath.