Bill O'Brien | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Bill O'Brien

Detroit is not a turnaround job. It's ready made.

I was trying to be nice to a guy that said Houston was the best job opening in years...it won't even be the best opening in 2014.

In New England, I was hearing Bill Belichick is telling O'Brien and Josh McDaniels to wait for the NY Giant job to open up. Coughlin won't get fired this year, but probably has only at most a couple of years left. I think O'Brien will wait for NY Giants job and will be a top contender for that job. I don't think O'Brien will take the Minnesota, Detroit, or Washington jobs. Houston would probably be the only non-NYG job I could see him taking now.

O'Brien will be next HC for the NY Jets...
No chance, the owner of the Jets is mini- Dan Synder. O'Brien/McDaniels will not pull a Mangini and go to the Jets. Bill Belichick hates that organization his guys won't betray him. Jets will probably get an assistant coach with ties to the new GM.

I was trying to be nice to a guy that said Houston was the best job opening in years...it won't even be the best opening in 2014.
Oh please Houston is a far better job than Detroit. Not even close. Detroit has an under-performing QB, a bad salary cap situation, a broken down RB, and a middle of the pack draft pick. Houston has the #1 pick of the draft, a ready made defense, and elite talent on offense, and salary cap space. Not even close to compare. And Detroit is in a highly competitive division while Houston is in a division with Jacksonville and Tennessee.

Oh please Houston is a far better job than Detroit. Not even close. Detroit has an under-performing QB, a bad salary cap situation, a broken down RB, and a middle of the pack draft pick. Houston has the #1 pick of the draft, a ready made defense, and elite talent on offense, and salary cap space. Not even close to compare. And Detroit is in a highly competitive division while Houston is in a division with Jacksonville and Tennessee.

An under-performing QB? Matt Stafford is 25 years old. Through 15 games his stats for 2013 are 58% completion, 4400+ yards, 28 td's, 19 int's, and 2 rushing td's. If that is under-performing, what is he expected to do? Be Peyton Manning? And yea Houston has the #1 pick, but what if the QB they pick ends up being Jamarcus Russell or Ryan Leaf. There are no guarantees when it comes to draft picks.

We completely screwed with that kid last year and shook him up.

He's a very good QB, not great and would not be my #1 pick.

I'd take Bortles over him if choosing a QB. Bortles has a higher ceiling.

I think Bortles is very much in the Dalton/Tannehill mould. I think he can be a very serviceable in the NFL.

In New England, I was hearing Bill Belichick is telling O'Brien and Josh McDaniels to wait for the NY Giant job to open up. Coughlin won't get fired this year, but probably has only at most a couple of years left. I think O'Brien will wait for NY Giants job and will be a top contender for that job. I don't think O'Brien will take the Minnesota, Detroit, or Washington jobs. Houston would probably be the only non-NYG job I could see him taking now.

BOB can't be sure he will get the Giants job whenever it opens up. As a matter of fact, in the coaching game one can't be sure of anything 2 or 3 years out. A couple of seasons like the last one and his candle won't be as bright. Someone else can always rise up to be the darling candidate.

If he really want back into the NFL he has to go when the opportunity presents itself - just like someone else we know.

It is quite possible he wanted to go last yeat but the buyout was too high and he had to deal with that to broaden his appeal to more teams. BOB is no Harbaugh and he can't just choose which job he wants.

Detroit is not a turnaround job. It's ready made.
Carolina and Detroit were good teams in need of a coach. An odd thing happened in Carolina, their coach got smarter. Detroit, not so much.

I was at the game and this isn't true at all. He had 133 yards, all in the second half, on 7 catches. He was wide open the entire time he was on the field. The fact that SU didn't do a great job making halftime adjustments early in the season leaves no doubt he would have went for 240+ had he played the entire game.

Wasn't 70 yards of his 133 on one play? After that, he had some catches, but he was contained.

All4SU said:
Wasn't 70 yards of his 133 on one play? After that, he had some catches, but he was contained.

51 yards was his longest. Back that one catch out and he still had 6 catches for 82 yards. Hardly contained considering that was less than Half the game. Drop it bro.

51 yards was his longest. Back that one catch out and he still had 6 catches for 82 yards. Hardly contained considering that was less than Half the game. Drop it bro.
Wow. Someone has a different opinion than you. Drop it bro

Alsacs said:

The Giants is one job Marrone would leave Buffalo for.

orangepassion said:
Do NFL coaches do that?

I don't know. Do they?

I know college coaches do it all the time, but I can't remember an NFL coach voluntarilly leave one NFL HC job for another.
Other teams can't even talk to them without permission.

orangepassion said:
I know college coaches do it all the time, but I can't remember an NFL coach voluntarilly leave one NFL HC job for another.

I can't either but Marrone isn't just any coach.

I can't either but Marrone isn't just any coach.

But the Giants are just any franchise either.

Seeing how much Marrone has aged the past four years tells me he would not be a good match for the NYC media market and dealign with back-page stuff. Plus, granted I'm a Giants fan, I would think the franchise would draw from the very elite of the coaching world and not touch him.

Plus, granted I'm a Giants fan, I would think the franchise would draw from the very elite of the coaching world and not touch him.
After he makes the playoffs next year, just think what he could do with all of the resources that the Giants have to offer.

It's either that or the Titans.

orange79 said:
Wow. Someone has a different opinion than you. Drop it bro
Different opinions are fine. I've been around here long enough to know there is a 99% chance every single one of my beliefs will have a counter belief from someone on this board, and that's not a bad thing. Makes for a better person.

That said, all this talk of SU beating PSU if only had started Hunt is nonsense. PSU didn't play their best player for a whole half, a player that will play in the NFL. And he played really well against a porous SU defensive backfield. If he had played the entire game, he would have gone for 200+ yards. SU lost and that's that.

The Giants is one job Marrone would leave Buffalo for.
Yeah too bad Buffalo won't let him out of his deal to take another NFL job :rolleyes:

An under-performing QB? Matt Stafford is 25 years old. Through 15 games his stats for 2013 are 58% completion, 4400+ yards, 28 td's, 19 int's, and 2 rushing td's. If that is under-performing, what is he expected to do?
And Stafford's INT's cost his team 2 games and the playoff this years. He has never won a playoff game either. Hide behind a stat sheet all ya want...Stafford has under-performed!

Stern said:
Yeah too bad Buffalo won't let him out of his deal to take another NFL job :rolleyes:

How long is the deal? How much longer will Coughlin coach? Deals are made to be broken...or bought out.

Whether it ever happens is a moot point. All that was said is that the Giants job is the one he would leave Buffalo for.

How long is the deal? How much longer will Coughlin coach? Deals are made to be broken...or bought out.

Whether it ever happens is a moot point. All that was said is that the Giants job is the one he would leave Buffalo for.

it is moot point. there is no way the Giants are going to hire a guy who is going to lose 10 games for two straight seasons. Why would Marrone be a candidate at all here. I suspect it's going to be a Belichick acolyte getting that job (Bill O'Brien or Josh McDaniel). Am I missing something about the job Marrone did this year? they seem to be at best mediocre at worst, crappy.