Bill O'Brien | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Bill O'Brien

What he said has some truth in it. Doug Marrone took over a program that was one of the worst 5 BCS jobs when he arrived and changed the culture around the program. Marrone took over a 2 star program and used pieces left by the previous coaching staff and turned the program into a 3 star program. I don't think Marrone left 9/10 win talent on this roster, but he left enough talent for this coaching staff to get to 6 wins and continue the momentum. While I don't think Marrone left the cupboard full he didn't leave it bare either the groceries left in the refrigerator weren't enough for a 5 course meal, but he left enough groceries to make a decent meal.

I don't think Marrone in the near future i.e. next 2 years was close to having 9/10 win seasons unless the kid down at TCU Zack Allen turns out to be a stud, but he would have continued the 7/8 win seasons and gotten us better. I was never disappointed Marrone left SU for the NFL, I was more disappointed in how he left. It felt like he left in the middle of night and took a lot of the stuff he built with him when he didn't need to do that.
Should have bolded the "9-3/10-2 with a top 20 recruiting class" part

Should have bolded the "9-3/10-2 with a top 20 recruiting class" part
Fair enough. I totally agree with that we won't be a top 20 recruiting school for a while. I mean we could have a 9 win season fairly soon, but I don't think we are back completely. What Marrone did was save the program and bring it back to Rutgers mediocrity level.

If the SU administration had retained him and his staff we would have went 9-3 or 10-2 and have a top 20 recruiting class or better on the way.
This is what I'm talking about. We have no way of knowing if that's true. But hey, let's just use a hypothetical statement as evidence.

How long is the deal? How much longer will Coughlin coach? Deals are made to be broken...or bought out.
He has a 4 year deal. And in the NFL deals are not made to be broken! The NFL passed a rule you cannot trade for a coach or buy out a coach on another team.

Happened after Gruden from Oakland to Tampa mess took place.

If Marrone was wanted by the NYG then Giants would have to give the Bills a minimum of 1 first round draft due to the precedent of the Jets/Pats stuff.

Can't trade for a head coach...the NFL has rules against that now. Those days are over

Doug Marrone turned around Syracuse and he is well on the way to righting the Bills ship. If the SU administration had retained him and his staff we would have went 9-3 or 10-2 and have a top 20 recruiting class or better on the way.

I can't agree with that DM deification nonsense. There is absolutely nothing to indicate that Marrone was capable of a top 20 recruiting class. In fact, it was his the weakest part of his game. He was great evaluating talent and coaching it up but had not managed to recruit very well. His classes were an improvement to be sure and made steady but not unspectacular progress.

DM restored the program to respectability but not much more than that. He was 25-25 - yes, a job well done but let's not go crazy. Marrone couldn't have controlled injuries and would have had the same QB problems. Other than a few recruits that changed their minds, which would not have impacted this season, the only thing that might have been different would be in the OC. Hackett was more experienced and probably would have called better games but the best we could have improved was to 8-4 (Pitt and PSU) - we were not going to beat the others.

I give him due credit for the job he did and am very grateful to his entire staff. I don't want to criticize him but let's not make him into something he was not.

Stern said:
He has a 4 year deal. And in the NFL deals are not made to be broken! The NFL passed a rule you cannot trade for a coach or buy out a coach on another team. Happened after Gruden from Oakland to Tampa mess took place.

Even if all true, 2 years isn't forever.

This is what I'm talking about. We have no way of knowing if that's true. But hey, let's just use a hypothetical statement as evidence.
Oh come on man. It's not rocket science. Staff stability = More wins and better recruits, the results are born out by empirical findings.

Oh come on man. It's not rocket science. Staff stability = More wins and better recruits, the results are born out by empirical findings.
Chris Petersen never had a top 20 recruiting class at Boise. Pretty sure Grobe never did at Wake. Stability doesn't mean that much in the grand scheme of recruiting. Wins and losses? Maybe.

Not to mention how much Doug hated recruiting.

I'm not saying you're wrong that Marrone would have won 9+ games and brought in a top 20 recruiting class with this team. I don't know that he wouldn't. I'm saying, we also don't know that he would have, so let's not treat something as fact that is one possible scenario among many possible scenarios.

Part of what feeds in to the Marrone mythology is this acceptance of imagined accomplishments in favor of real achievements. We should let the man's achievements stand on their own. There's just no need to pretend that the things we think he might have done should be lumped in with the things he's actually accomplished. It's really a huge discredit to him. It says his real achievements aren't enough, so we have to make stuff up on his behalf. It's all nonsense.

I'm not saying you're wrong that Marrone would have won 9+ games and brought in a top 20 recruiting class with this team. I don't know that he wouldn't. I'm saying, we also don't know that he would have, so let's not treat something as fact that is one possible scenario among many possible scenarios.

Part of what feeds in to the Marrone mythology is this acceptance of imagined accomplishments in favor of real achievements. We should let the man's achievements stand on their own. There's just no need to pretend that the things we think he might have done should be lumped in with the things he's actually accomplished. It's really a huge discredit to him. It says his real achievements aren't enough, so we have to make stuff up on his behalf. It's all nonsense.
All hail Marronicus.

Can't trade for a head coach...the NFL has rules against that now. Those days are over
I thought you could still hire another NFL head coach if you paid compensation. Did they do away with that totally?

Marone didn't like recruiting but what really stuck in his craw was attendance.He just couldn't accept the small crowds we were drawing and I really hope it doesn't become the norm.

RCDICK44 said:
Marone didn't like recruiting but what really stuck in his craw was attendance.He just couldn't accept the small crowds we were drawing and I really hope it doesn't become the norm.

His #1 complaint was lack of fan support from a financial standpoint.

His #1 complaint was lack of fan support from a financial standpoint.

And this became very apparent in his demeanor from year 1-2 Doug to year 3-4 Doug. He was pretty miserable his last two years here and it showed. At least, IMO. He became much shorter with everyone. He was right on the financial contributions and attendance but what can you do.

He came into a horrible situation- no doubt about that-but for the first three seasons his teams were pretty difficult to watch and by the time he had an offense with some weapons and imagination I am not sure the fan base was prepared to be truly appreciative. To create the kind of attendance everyone connected to the program wants will require patience, more victories, and some galvanizing players with schemes that take advantage of their talent. That has largely been missing for over a decade.

He came into a horrible situation- no doubt about that-but for the first three seasons his teams were pretty difficult to watch and by the time he had an offense with some weapons and imagination I am not sure the fan base was prepared to be truly appreciative. To create the kind of attendance everyone connected to the program wants will require patience, more victories, and some galvanizing players with schemes that take advantage of their talent. That has largely been missing for over a decade.

And that team, with most of the offensive playmakers being seniors, really came on toward the end of the season with the only home game against Louisville. Had the majority of the playmakers last season been sophomore and juniors with a lot of buzz going into this, our first ACC season, I think we would have seen better attendance this year overall.

Cheers,
Neil

Let me interject some facts into what has turned into a laughable thread about Marrone upgrading his NFL job prospects already - BOB has agreed to interview with Houston; said to be top choice.

Hope we go after a few PSU recruits hard.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...exans-agree-to-interview?campaign=Twitter_atl
There is some buzz here in HTown about Bill O'Brien.

Does PSU deserve better than Schiano? I know he will demand an helicopt and lie to recruits but are northeastern high school coaches willing to steer their players to a coach with delusions of adequacy?

There is some buzz here in HTown about Bill O'Brien.

Does PSU deserve better than Schiano? I know he will demand an helicopt and lie to recruits but are northeastern high school coaches willing to steer their players to a coach with delusions of adequacy?
They aren't going to pursue him. And they don't seem to be having difficulty recruiting.

I know PSU will get a better coach but do they deserve better?

Had P not been a disaster the last few seasons at UConn, I wonder if he'd get a sniff. Probably not, but worth a thought.

As much as I hate to admit it, I don't think PSU will have an issue getting someone they want. The way our society works, people/media have a short memory. PSU's issues are behind them. Best we haters can hope for is losing BOB so late in the recruiting cycle might open a chance for schools like SU to poach.

I honestly don't know why in a million years why somebody would rather be a college coach over an NFL coach, you get the shot you take it. You can always go back but the cesspool that recruiting is would be enough to make me want to get out. Make your money, hold on as long as you can, if it doesn't pan out you hang on as a coordinator or go back to college.

I honestly don't know why in a million years why somebody would rather be a college coach over an NFL coach, you get the shot you take it. You can always go back but the cesspool that recruiting is would be enough to make me want to get out. Make your money, hold on as long as you can, if it doesn't pan out you hang on as a coordinator or go back to college.

Nick Saban said it best I think, why coach in the NFL and have 1 first round draft choice when I can coach in college and have several.

Not a direct quote but you get the point.