Bill O'Brien | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Bill O'Brien

BOB can't be sure he will get the Giants job whenever it opens up. As a matter of fact, in the coaching game one can't be sure of anything 2 or 3 years out. A couple of seasons like the last one and his candle won't be as bright. Someone else can always rise up to be the darling candidate.

If he really want back into the NFL he has to go when the opportunity presents itself - just like someone else we know.

It is quite possible he wanted to go last yeat but the buyout was too high and he had to deal with that to broaden his appeal to more teams. BOB is no Harbaugh and he can't just choose which job he wants.
O'Brien will get multiple offers to be a head coach in the NFL if he wants to coach there. I don't think he will leave a lucrative Penn State job(in terms of years on his contract and pay) unless he gets a job in the NFL that isn't a rebuild. I think Belichick cares about McDaniels/O'Brien and will advise them for which jobs to go after while Belichick's reputation isn't the greatest in all of the NFL he likes and is respected by the NYG organization I think one of his guys will get that job when Coughlin retires.

O'Brien will get multiple offers to be a head coach in the NFL if he wants to coach there. I don't think he will leave a lucrative Penn State job(in terms of years on his contract and pay) unless he gets a job in the NFL that isn't a rebuild. I think Belichick cares about McDaniels/O'Brien and will advise them for which jobs to go after while Belichick's reputation isn't the greatest in all of the NFL he likes and is respected by the NYG organization I think one of his guys will get that job when Coughlin retires.

well Belichick does have the best rep in the NFL in that if he told the league he's a free agent, EVERY team in the league would line up to hire him. The reputation stuff is overblown IMO.

elimunelson said:
it is moot point. there is no way the Giants are going to hire a guy who is going to lose 10 games for two straight seasons. Why would Marrone be a candidate at all here. I suspect it's going to be a Belichick acolyte getting that job (Bill O'Brien or Josh McDaniel). Am I missing something about the job Marrone did this year? they seem to be at best mediocre at worst, crappy.

Not seeing where it was said Marrone is doing a good or bad job in Buffalo this year. Not seeing where he would or would not be a candidate.

Do NFL coaches do that?
Jets and Patriots have done it to each other. However, these are the only times I can think of active head coaches leaving one team for another team. I doubt Marrone's contract will allow him to be considered for the NYG job unless he is fired.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jets%E2%80%93Patriots_rivalry#Early_1997:_Bill_Parcells

In 1997, After the Super Bowl, Bill Parcells resigned from the Patriots, prompting Bob Kraft to believe the Jets had been tampering with Parcells in an attempt for him to resign and take the Jets' vacant head coaching position and have say in the Jets' first overall selection in the 1997 NFL Draft. The Jets decided that since Parcells couldn't be their head coach in 1997 because of his contract renegotiation, they would hire Parcells as a consultant and have Bill Belichick, who followed Parcells from the Patriots, hold the title of head coach. Kraft, who was requesting a first-round pick in return for allowing Parcells to coach elsewhere, called the Jets' agreement "a transparent farce" that "demonstrated it was the Jets' intention all along for Bill Parcells to become head coach of the Jets for the '97 season."Despite Parcells claiming the Jets had been given league permission for the consulting agreement, the NFL denied any permission was given, instead having commissioner Paul Tagliabue arrange an agreement between the two sides. The Patriots received third and fourth-round picks in the 1997 NFL Draft, a second-round pick in the 1998 NFL Draft, and a first-round pick in the 1999 NFL Draft in compensation for allowing Parcells to become the Jets' head coach.

Early 2000: Bill Belichick
A day after the 1999 season, Parcells resigned as head coach of the Jets and made his second retirement from NFL coaching.Belichick, who had been assistant head coach of the Jets, became the Jets' next head coach. The following day, at a press conference for his hiring, Belichick wrote a resignation note on a napkin ("I resign as HC of the NYJ."[14]), and proceeded to instead announce his resignation in front of the press. Despite rumors that he had been offered the Patriots' vacant head coaching position, Belichick cited the Jets' uncertain ownership situation following the death of owner Leon Hess earlier that year as the reason for his resignation. The Jets denied Belichick permission to speak with other teams, and as had happened in 1997 with Parcells, the NFL upheld Belichick's contractual obligations to the Jets. Belichick then filed an antitrust lawsuit against the NFL in federal court. After Parcells and Kraft, talking for the first time since Parcells' resignation from the Patriots, agreed to settle their differences, the Patriots and Jets agreed to a compensation package to allow Belichick to become the Patriots' head coach.With the deal, the Patriots sent their first-round pick in the 2000 NFL Draft and fourth and seventh-round picks in the 2001 NFL Draft to the Jets, while also receiving the Jets' fifth-round selection in 2001 and seventh-round pick in the 2002 NFL Draft.

How long is the deal? How much longer will Coughlin coach? Deals are made to be broken...or bought out.

Whether it ever happens is a moot point. All that was said is that the Giants job is the one he would leave Buffalo for.

Next year is huge for Marrone, he needs to demonstrate marked improvement, ie; playoffs

If Marrone was wanted by the NYG then Giants would have to give the Bills a minimum of 1 first round draft due to the precedent of the Jets/Pats stuff. I don't think Marrone is worth a first round pick for the NYG. He would need to have out in his contract for him to be considered or have his contract expire in the year Coughlin retires and nobody except John Fox in Carolina in 2010 coaches on a 1 yr contract.

First of all, the Giants aren't going to try and hire a coach that is employed in the NFL. Unless the coach has negotiated something different from NFL rules in his contract from (which is allowed) no team can even talk to an employed coach without a tampering violation. And they are not going to trade a draft choice to get Marrone.

The Giants will get input from many sources and are not just going to hire whomever Belichick recommends.

There are many great coaches out there in college and the NFL or even unemployed and the Giants will have plenty from which to choose. Remember, the Giants have hired more clunkers than good ones in the past - Arnsparger, Hanley, Webster, McVay, Perkins etc.

Wouldn't surprise me if they hired someone like Tressel (just kidding).

Why would the giants hire Doug? Because he is from NY? The Binder? There is no way that Doug becomes the next coach of the Giants.

O'Brien will be next HC for the NY Jets...
Why would he do that? Of all the teams to step into that's the least attractive. No QB, no WRs, no RBs...

kcsu said:
Why would the giants hire Doug? Because he is from NY? The Binder? There is no way that Doug becomes the next coach of the Giants.

I don't think anyone said he would be. But it can't ever be completely ruled out.

I don't think anyone said he would be. But it can't ever be completely ruled out.
Cant rule out Syracuse winning the National Championship in Football next year either

kcsu said:
Cant rule out Syracuse winning the National Championship in Football next year either

Marrone someday getting the Giants job is infinitely better than SU winning the NC next year.

Don't get how some of you take a statement and embellish it to mean something else. I'll state the fact one more time. Enjoy turning it into something else.

The Giants job is one he would leave Buffalo for. In fact I'll go one step further and say it is his ultimate dream job.

We completely screwed with that kid last year and shook him up.

He's a very good QB, not great and would not be my #1 pick.

I'd take Bortles over him if choosing a QB. Bortles has a higher ceiling.

The James Harden logic...he sucked when he plaeyed us so he must suck in general!

I think if Doug Marrone WANTED the New York Giants jobs more than any other he should have remained at Syracuse till it opened up. I agree with Bees in that anybody with a brain would want the NYG job over the Buffalo job, but you don't see coaching free agents that often. I can only think of 2 times in recent memory Marvin Lewis with the Bengals and John Fox with the Panthers both coached the 2011 NFL season without contracts for 2012, and both were because the owners of those franchises were cheapskates that didn't want to pay 2 coaches for the 2011 season. Fox knew his team sucked and proceeded to go 1-15 and get the first pick in the draft and Lewis went 9-7 and got the 6 seed in the AFC. Fox obviously wasn't resigned and went on to get a really good job in Denver, and Lewis resigned with Cincinnati after he was given a green light for an indoor practice facility for the Bengals that he wanted from Mike Brown.

Marrone won't likely be the next Giants coach though because I don't see the Giants giving up compensation from Buffalo who won't let him go to another NFL job without being compensated. While I don't know who the next Giants coach will be with certainty I believe it will be somebody from Belichick's coaching tree because he really likes the Giants organization and respects them. I don't know if the Giants will definitely hire one of Belichick's guys for certain, but Coughlin/Belichick are from the same coaching tree of Bill Parcells(and have a genuine respect for one another) thus the only time the Giants job came open during Belichick's reign in New England they went with a Parcells guy which made sense. I don't think the Giants job will come open this season because Coughlin won't be fired and I think he will want 1 more crack at it, but if next year doesn't end up with a playoff run I would expect Coughlin to retire and that job to become available. If O'Brien goes to the NFL this year I think it will be if he is offered the Houston Texans job OR MAYBE Detroit. I wouldn't expect him to take the Lions job, but if he was given insane money then maybe he would go, but the Lions job is fool's gold. It has a lot of talent, but the franchise has sucked for so long I wouldn't want that job in that division.

I think if Doug Marrone WANTED the New York Giants jobs more than any other he should have remained at Syracuse till it opened up. I agree with Bees in that anybody with a brain would want the NYG job over the Buffalo job, but you don't see coaching free agents that often. I can only think of 2 times in recent memory Marvin Lewis with the Bengals and John Fox with the Panthers both coached the 2011 NFL season without contracts for 2012, and both were because the owners of those franchises were cheapskates that didn't want to pay 2 coaches for the 2011 season. Fox knew his team sucked and proceeded to go 1-15 and get the first pick in the draft and Lewis went 9-7 and got the 6 seed in the AFC. Fox obviously wasn't resigned and went on to get a really good job in Denver, and Lewis resigned with Cincinnati after he was given a green light for an indoor practice facility for the Bengals that he wanted from Mike Brown.

Both the Texan's and Lions owners give their coaches plenty of time (maybe too much) which makes those jobs pretty attractive if the money is right, which it will be.
Marrone won't likely be the next Giants coach though because I don't see the Giants giving up compensation from Buffalo who won't let him go to another NFL job without being compensated. While I don't know who the next Giants coach will be with certainty I believe it will be somebody from Belichick's coaching tree because he really likes the Giants organization and respects them. I don't know if the Giants will definitely hire one of Belichick's guys for certain, but Coughlin/Belichick are from the same coaching tree of Bill Parcells(and have a genuine respect for one another) thus the only time the Giants job came open during Belichick's reign in New England they went with a Parcells guy which made sense. I don't think the Giants job will come open this season because Coughlin won't be fired and I think he will want 1 more crack at it, but if next year doesn't end up with a playoff run I would expect Coughlin to retire and that job to become available. If O'Brien goes to the NFL this year I think it will be if he is offered the Houston Texans job OR MAYBE Detroit. I wouldn't expect him to take the Lions job, but if he was given insane money then maybe he would go, but the Lions job is fool's gold. It has a lot of talent, but the franchise has sucked for so long I wouldn't want that job in that division.

The Giants job is one he would leave Buffalo for. In fact I'll go one step further and say it is his ultimate dream job.

There's a real argument that the Giants job is the biggest job in sports.

I am astounded by how highly some people here esteem a coach with a sub .500 lifetime record.

OttoinGrotto said:
I am astounded by how highly some people here esteem a coach with a sub .500 lifetime record.

I haven't read a post giving that impression.

Doug Marrone turned around Syracuse and he is well on the way to righting the Bills ship. If the SU administration had retained him and his staff we would have went 9-3 or 10-2 and have a top 20 recruiting class or better on the way.

Marrone someday getting the Giants job is infinitely better than SU winning the NC next year.

Don't get how some of you take a statement and embellish it to mean something else. I'll state the fact one more time. Enjoy turning it into something else.

We all know it is his dream job we are just saying at this point given the NFL rules, his contract with the Bills and the fact that there are better choices at this point in time he doesnt have much of a chance . I expect that Doug will be the coach and a succesful one of the Bills for many years.

I would love some of what you're smoking
What he said has some truth in it. Doug Marrone took over a program that was one of the worst 5 BCS jobs when he arrived and changed the culture around the program. Marrone took over a 2 star program and used pieces left by the previous coaching staff and turned the program into a 3 star program. I don't think Marrone left 9/10 win talent on this roster, but he left enough talent for this coaching staff to get to 6 wins and continue the momentum. While I don't think Marrone left the cupboard full he didn't leave it bare either the groceries left in the refrigerator weren't enough for a 5 course meal, but he left enough groceries to make a decent meal.

I don't think Marrone in the near future i.e. next 2 years was close to having 9/10 win seasons unless the kid down at TCU Zack Allen turns out to be a stud, but he would have continued the 7/8 win seasons and gotten us better. I was never disappointed Marrone left SU for the NFL, I was more disappointed in how he left. It felt like he left in the middle of night and took a lot of the stuff he built with him when he didn't need to do that.

kcsu said:
We all know it is his dream job we are just saying at this point given the NFL rules, his contract with the Bills and the fact that there are better choices at this point in time he doesnt have much of a chance . I expect that Doug will be the coach and a succesful one of the Bills for many years.

His contract is 4 years, not forever. 2 more to go.