Billy Owens | Syracusefan.com

Billy Owens

albanycuse

Dion Waiters
496F535B-95F5-4EEE-988B-911CEC5079C3.jpeg

Really wish we could’ve gotten a few years of healthy Owens with Webber in Golden State with Nelson as the coach. Webber got all the hype his rookie year, but Billy was really good that season and had a big playoff series. Too bad that all blew up the next year.

Stop trying to make me liking KD happen. It's not going to happen.

Other than going to the Warriors which I agree was annoying and terrible for the competitive balance of the league, has Durant ever been anything but a model citizen in his career?

I thought Syracuse doesn't produce NBA players? This guy had a long NBA career. Hes way before my time. But looks like he was a solid NBA guy. Avg 12 points 7 Rebounds a game for over a decade. This doesn't fit the Narrative these idiots want to use against us.

I fell in love with SU Hoops because of Pearl, and I absolutely loved Sherman and DC... but gun to my head, I think Billy may have been the best from that era. His combination of inside/outside skill was unbelievable. He truly was Magic-esque with the basketball. Great article, thanks for sharing it!

I thought Syracuse doesn't produce NBA players? This guy had a long NBA career. Hes way before my time. But looks like he was a solid NBA guy. Avg 12 points 7 Rebounds a game for over a decade. This doesn't fit the Narrative these idiots want to use against us.
He was Magic-esque before his injuries

Other than going to the Warriors which I agree was annoying and terrible for the competitive balance of the league, has Durant ever been anything but a model citizen in his career?
Not that I’m aware of.

Durant came into the league humble and soft spoken. He's not as soft spoken anymore.

Durant came into the league humble and soft spoken. He's not as soft spoken anymore.

Yes he's had several press conferences in GS that were quiet profane and hardly "model citizen" like.

I wonder if SU will ever have another brother combo like the Owens brothers in 2 different sports? I know the Gait's were amazing and put SU at the top of the lacrosse world but for 2 different sports...that was pretty cool. What a wonderful time for SU sports that was.

I fell in love with SU Hoops because of Pearl, and I absolutely loved Sherman and DC... but gun to my head, I think Billy may have been the best from that era. His combination of inside/outside skill was unbelievable. He truly was Magic-esque with the basketball. Great article, thanks for sharing it!
Arguably the best all around player to play for Syracuse.

His 90-91 season is arguably the best I've ever seen a player at Syracuse. That team should have went places, and unfortunately it ended terribly. Probably left a sour taste in my and other's mouths. Doesn't take away from what he did. His NBA career was a disappointment to me given his talent level, but there is so much you can do with injuries unfortunately.

I think it's still ok to dislike guys for basketball reasons. Doesn't mean they are a terrible person. Lebron is the same way.

This was a bit ago, and I wish I could remember who/what interview it was in, but somebody was talking about Iverson or Steve Francis or someone like that once, and they mentioned that you can make a lot of money in the NBA just by being a nice guy and keeping your skills somewhat up and being willing to sit at the end of a bench and practice hard - the example they used was Billy Owens. haha

I hope this doesn't come out sounding wrong, because I know he had knee issues, but I think Billy Owens was Anthony without the drive and work ethic.

This was a bit ago, and I wish I could remember who/what interview it was in, but somebody was talking about Iverson or Steve Francis or someone like that once, and they mentioned that you can make a lot of money in the NBA just by being a nice guy and keeping your skills somewhat up and being willing to sit at the end of a bench and practice hard - the example they used was Billy Owens. haha

Jeez.

If those guys were 5-6 years older they’d know that Billy was every bit as good as them at one point.

Actually Steve’s game fell off a cliff way too early too, but that was the alcohol more than the injuries.

I always say that Billy was basically Lamar Odom for about 5 years, but his body just went on him kinda early.

I was a junior when he committed to SU it felt like we won the lottery, he was that amazing in high school. His dad sat next to me and my friends at all Billy’s freshman year games, he was a nice and quiet/stoic man, cool to see him, Billy and Michael in that pic. Billy was the most versatile player I have seen in 35 years of following this program

His 90-91 season is arguably the best I've ever seen a player at Syracuse. That team should have went places, and unfortunately it ended terribly. Probably left a sour taste in my and other's mouths. Doesn't take away from what he did. His NBA career was a disappointment to me given his talent level, but there is so much you can do with injuries unfortunately.

23.3 points, 11.6 rebounds, and 3.5 assists per game on a team that went 26-4 in the regular season. Nobody in my time as a fan has been as statistically productive as that. Carmelo was 22, 10, and 2. I’d think you’d have to go back to Bing?

I remember legit debate over who was going number 1 - Larry Johnson, Kenny Anderson, or Billy Owens. All super talented. All had their moments early in their NBA careers. Sadly all diminished by injuries and were a shell of their former selves even by their late 20s. At the time it was like they were potentially the next Barkley, Isiah, and Magic.

Where we had, and have, players who do a good job working hard to get to the basket, Billy always seemed to make everything he did look easy. Such a pleasure to have been able to watch him play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom