Bing best guard ever at SU. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Bing best guard ever at SU.

Here's a nice interview / career retrospective on Dave Bing. Takes about 4 minutes or so before you start seeing highlights. He had a game that would still translate today. Watch the way he drives the lane with big athletic strides, can dish or score off the glass. Such an athlete! Twenty years ahead of his time.

That was sooooo cool.

My father always told me he played pickup against him in DC as kids. And Bing, post-NBA looks so much like my father, they could have been brothers.

Bing was much stronger and more athletic than I expected. I didn’t remember him being on the Celtics (#44!).

I got to see him play a couple of times, but only late in his career, when he came to play against the 76ers. Wish I had seen him in his greatness. Amazing, those stories about two eye injuries.

Did Smith punch a referee or a player?

I remember he was suspended during his junior year for punching somebody

A ref at a game in West Virginia after his 5th foul.

Best is a debate but greatest talent was Dion
So weird, but I have very little memory of Dion playing for us. I have more memory of Chris McCullough or… those two guys who transferred out mid-season.

That was sooooo cool.

My father always told me he played pickup against him in DC as kids. And Bing, post-NBA looks so much like my father, they could have been brothers.

Bing was much stronger and more athletic than I expected. I didn’t remember him being on the Celtics (#44!).

I got to see him play a couple of times, but only late in his career, when he came to play against the 76ers. Wish I had seen him in his greatness. Amazing, those stories about two eye injuries.
Could your dad defend the corner three?

Here's a different question that ties to this thread -- I've always viewed Bing as the greatest player in program history [with DC being second]. That viewpoint is supported not just by his production at SU, but also by him going on to be an NBA HOF'er.

My question is: now that he's at the finish line, does Carmelo warrant consideration to challenge for the top spot, based upon both HIS career accomplishments at SU and how his NBA career unfolded, being solidly in the top 10 all time leading scorer list, etc.?

It's at least a discussion, right?

Here's a different question that ties to this thread -- I've always viewed Bing as the greatest player in program history [with DC being second]. That viewpoint is supported not just by his production at SU, but also by him going on to be an NBA HOF'er.

My question is: now that he's at the finish line, does Carmelo warrant consideration to challenge for the top spot, based upon both HIS career accomplishments at SU and how his NBA career unfolded, being solidly in the top 10 all time leading scorer list, etc.?

Tough call. But those are the 3 best imo. I think I would go Bing, Melo, DC. But I wouldn’t be able to argue against any ranking of them.

Melo did in one year what every single person named in this tried to do and failed. He has to be #1, no disrespect to Bing, DC or anyone else.

Melo did in one year what every single person named in this tried to do and failed. He has to be #1, no disrespect to Bing, DC or anyone else.
It's so contextual. Put Melo on this year's team, he doesn't win a championship. Put DC on one of our later teams that was really good, maybe they do. Same with Pearl and Bing.

A championship team is a formula.

Same argument when you show that Luc Longley has three championships and Ewing and Barkley don't have any.

Also kinda hard for me to determine a player isn't 'championship level' based on whether or not a player on the other team hits a shot or doesn't. DC is a Keith Smart 'coin flip' away.

My list starts mid-late 80’s

Pearl
The General
Poetry in Moten
McNamara
Flynn
MCW
Waiters
Devendorf
Rautins
Judah Mintz (let’s hope:))
I am taking Buddy over Andy. Bing has to be on top of the list. Dennis Duval. Jimmy Lee. SU has had some great guards

Bees and I mention him a couple of times a year all by ourselves. Am I right, Rick?

I think I posted once about being in a pickup game when I was a student and The Kid was on the other team. Seeing his skill up close was even more amazing than watching from the seats in Manley. Thankfully I wasn’t covering him.

It is true though that great guys like Kohls and Bill Smith who came from the Roy Danforth years are all but forgotten now and never known at all by many fans.

It's so contextual. Put Melo on this year's team, he doesn't win a championship. Put DC on one of our later teams that was really good, maybe they do. Same with Pearl and Bing.

A championship team is a formula.

Same argument when you show that Luc Longley has three championships and Ewing and Barkley don't have any.

Also kinda hard for me to determine a player isn't 'championship level' based on whether or not a player on the other team hits a shot or doesn't. DC is a Keith Smart 'coin flip' away.
Not sure that team wins 20 without Melo though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom