Bizarre win | Syracusefan.com

Bizarre win

GoSU96

Living Legend
That was the ultimate VaTech/Ruttie What loss that SU was finally on the other side of. The post score penalties were effectively a punt block short field.

That was winning with a C- on offense.

Very disappointed they couldn’t close out the game at 25-15 but very impressed that this team was able to hold together and steal the win at the end.

I agree - if you just watched the play and not the score for the first half and maybe 3 quarters you would think Purdue is rolling, but they weren't and we hung tough. Credit to both teams who kept taking and giving big shots. They cracked first.

That was the ultimate VaTech/Ruttie What loss that SU was finally on the other side of. The post score penalties were effectively a punt block short field.

That was winning with a C- on offense.

Very disappointed they couldn’t close out the game at 25-15 but very impressed that this team was able to hold together and steal the win at the end.
So happy to be on the other side of rock fight against a very good team. Purdue's passing attack was amazing. Their QB threw pinpoint strikes all over the field, and on most of their completions you just had to tip your hat. We tackled well, and GW did what he could to contain Jones. That guy is a nightmare to cover - especially with a QB who's that good. The only serious issue I noticed on D is coverage of the TE in the red zone - wide open TWICE. That has to be cleaned up.

In the end, we did what we had to. Credit should go to Purdue's D. Their DL gave us fits in PP. In the run game, we had a hard time opening holes against 7 in the box. Our WR's struggled against press coverage. And clearly GS wasn't himself.

Gutsy win against an excellent team.

So happy to be on the other side of rock fight against a very good team. Purdue's passing attack was amazing. Their QB threw pinpoint strikes all over the field, and on most of their completions you just had to tip your hat. We tackled well, and GW did what he could to contain Jones. That guy is a nightmare to cover - especially with a QB who's that good. The only serious issue I noticed on D is coverage of the TE in the red zone - wide open TWICE. That has to be cleaned up.

In the end, we did what we had to. Credit should go to Purdue's D. Their DL gave us fits in PP. In the run game, we had a hard time opening holes against 7 in the box. Our WR's struggled against press coverage. And clearly GS wasn't himself.

Gutsy win against an excellent team.

Yep. I gotta add- Charlie Jones is more than just the real deal. His route running, hands and speed remind me a ton of Cooper Kupp. I don't say that lightly either. You add in an elite QB in terms of vision and accuracy and that is a lethal combo. They connected on throws where Garrett had it covered extremely well. The trip up on the long ball late hurt- some bad luck there but earlier Jones barely missed hauling in a similar pass that was off by inches.

Because he doesn't have the national profile quite yet, and Purdue is 1-2, Jones is probably not going to get the best WR in the country designation but in the total package I don't think there is a better WR in college football right now- forget what he did the previous few years.

As for O'Connell- no way there is more accurate QB out there. I was actually impressed that despite his lack of mobility, he does a nice job moving within the pocket with great composure and feeling the pressure to move away from it to buy time. It's something to a lesser extent I've been happy to see from Garrett as well. The play on the INT was a shocker and out of character and I'll point to a product of environment and Mikell bearing down on him.

O'Connell and Jones are the real deal. They were very impressive. QB was throwing perfectly placed passes all afternoon. Several of his completions were into blanketed coverage. I actually feel like GW played pretty well, but he was on an island alone, with literally zero deep help. There's only so much you can do.

O'Connell and Jones are the real deal. They were very impressive. QB was throwing perfectly placed passes all afternoon. Several of his completions were into blanketed coverage. I actually feel like GW played pretty well, but he was on an island alone, with literally zero deep help. There's only so much you can do.

Yep.. even then had we given help- their TE would have had an even bigger game and possibly gotten them in the end zone more in the first half.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom