BJ at 1:25 | Syracusefan.com

BJ at 1:25

CaptainJ

Disembodied?
I've plowed through a lot of reading on here yesterday and didn't see this mentioned, but I think it was quite significant. Despite whatever happened earlier in the game for BJ, with the Orange clinging to a 2 point lead and the shot clock about to expire, he drove from the wing to the hole and drew a foul.

Longtime Cuse fans know our history of free throw woes, even with experienced go-to guys who are having a good game. Those words didn't describe BJ for the most part yesterday, yet he calmly sank both free throws, shunning Syracuse tradition, and giving us a brief 4 point lead. If he misses one or both, who is to say the game has the same ending it did? For the grief he has taken lately(deserved or not), I felt he deserves credit for both the drive and hitting both free throws that I have no problem calling clutch.

I give him credit for making those, but if he hit one of the numerous missed shots he had throughout the other 35 minutes of the game it wouldn't even be in the discussion.

It's funny about that play. I remember thinking at the time that he maybe could have gotten off a nice look from three (may have been a different play though). It made me consider the dilemma of the players right now. On the one had you want to play to your strengths, which for BJ right now would be his 3-point shot and probably not as much driving to the hole. But on the other hand his shot (and everyone else's) just hasn't been falling. So as a coach or player you are faced with a tough choice of possibly losing confidence in your #1 skill by forcing up shots when they just aren't falling or falling back to a lesser developed part of your game which could make your confidence worse if you don't have success and it isn't a primary strength.

Anyway, it just goes to show the tough spot the players can coaches are in right now. I think they're backed into a spot of thinking too hard about every move instead of being able to play in a flow. Hopefully the La Tech will allow Cooney to relax a bit and also allow the team as a whole a little boost from playing and prevailing in a tight spot, where they had to make a play to win and they did it.

Brilliant post, Captain J! We expect nothing less.

We can all say if ... then ... (and we all will), but I remember the play and I like thinking that it was a deliberate tactic on his part, and then he calmly sank the shots. When the game is on the line, good players - or players who have the will to be good - will make a play that makes a difference.

I've plowed through a lot of reading on here yesterday and didn't see this mentioned, but I think it was quite significant. Despite whatever happened earlier in the game for BJ, with the Orange clinging to a 2 point lead and the shot clock about to expire, he drove from the wing to the hole and drew a foul.

Longtime Cuse fans know our history of free throw woes, even with experienced go-to guys who are having a good game. Those words didn't describe BJ for the most part yesterday, yet he calmly sank both free throws, shunning Syracuse tradition, and giving us a brief 4 point lead. If he misses one or both, who is to say the game has the same ending it did? For the grief he has taken lately(deserved or not), I felt he deserves credit for both the drive and hitting both free throws that I have no problem calling clutch.

Good observation, Captain.

Said it out loud when he stepped to the line: These 2 shots will show us a little about what he is made of. I don't think he even drew rim. BJ has confidence and toughness.

Good observation, Captain.

Said it out loud when he stepped to the line: These 2 shots will show us a little about what he is made of. I don't think he even drew rim. BJ has confidence and toughness.

Yes he does, but he needs to make some shots and he needs to play better defense...if he does that I'll be happy...

What I like is that he is putting himself in the right places but has yet to finish what he started. Still needs to get stronger with the ball and relax on his J's but I see some pretty good basketball knowledge with this young man.

Yes he does, but he needs to make some shots and he needs to play better defense...if he does that I'll be happy...

The amazing thing about it is that he came in with the reputation of being a scorer [and a shooter]. I was worried with his skinny physique that he'd bring that, but be really one dimensional. Instead, he's shown that he could be a very solid rebounder for a 3, he can put the ball on the floor, etc. -- everything but scoring / shooting consistently.

The offense will come--I'm convinced of that--we just need it to happen sooner rather than later.

BJ is one of the more fundamentally solid players in terms of offensive tactical skills that the team currently has. He reads defenders well and makes strong cuts based on ball position. Likewise, he aggressively attacks the offensive glass, taking good angles for positioning. Finally, though he hasn't hit many outside shots yet, his mechanics appear sound (which is really a technical, not a tactical, skill). I'd have to study his shot more closely to say for sure, but it seems that slowing his shot down just a touch may help him be more accurate. That said, it is just a matter of time before they start falling more consistently for him.

In short, when his physical strength and technical skills (dribbling, passing, pull-up jumpers, etc.) catch up to his understanding of the game, BJ will likely be an effective college-level scorer.

I have continued to be impressed with BJ's willingness to try and make plays on a team that is obviously struggling to score. He sees the problems and is trying to help while in there.
BJ needs to shore up the defense a bit IMO but that puts him in the same category as all of our wing defenders. Even MikeG has had a tendency to overcommit causing late rotations after ball movement. I thought for spurts of the game Sunday Tyler played the best wing defense we have seen this year which is promising.

Last edited:
BJ is one of the more fundamentally solid players in terms of offensive tactical skills that the team currently has. He reads defenders well and makes strong cuts based on ball position. Likewise, he aggressively attacks the offensive glass, taking good angles for positioning. Finally, though he hasn't hit many outside shots yet, his mechanics appear sound. I'd have to study his shot more closely to say for sure, but it seems that slowing his shot down just a touch may help him be more accurate. That said, it is just a matter of time before they start falling more consistently for him.

In short, when his physical strength and technical skills (dribbling, passing, pull-up jumpers, etc.) catch up to his understanding of the game, BJ will likely be an effective college-level scorer.

Agreed and on his shot I think rushing makes sense because there is just a hair of guiding at the end causing a flatter trajectory that is still on target because of the overall solid mechanics. He made a couple late in one of the exhibition games and he had more arc because he was truly releasing the shot at the top. These where pretty open looks in a game well in hand if I recall which would likely translate into not rushing. I feel like he is just rushing his shot a hair in the heat of the game at this point.
In general though he finds open spots, finds the ball off the glass and has a variety of skills needed to score consistently once he starts shooting consistently.

Last edited:
Agreed and on his shot I think rushing makes sense because there is just a hair of guiding at the end causing a flatter trajectory that is still on target because of the overall solid mechanics. He made a couple late in one of the exhibition games and he had more arc because he was just truly releasing the shot at the top. These where pretty open looks in a game well in hand if I recall which would likely translate into not rushing. I feel like he is just rushing his shot a hair in the heat of the game at this point.
In general though he finds open spots, finds the ball off the glass and has a variety of skills needed to score consistently once he starts shooting consistently.

This team might really take off if we get some more consistent perimeter shooting / bench scoring from BJ Johnson. What a shot in the arm that would be.

Especially if Roberson also takes it up a notch.

I think BJ needs to get in better shooting position when he catches pass and not hesitate go right up with his shot. I agree with Jordoo he is not releasing ball at the top of his shot causing it to be flat. I also think the LA Tech game will help BJ going forward as he was allowed to play through his mistakes instead of immediately being pulled. I really think he just needs minutes to get more comfortable on the court and he will relax and just play. Also when he drives he needs to keep his head up he missed a couple of open players in particular on a fast break he had Cooney trailing wide open for the three and I think he charged instead of passing to Cooney.

The 1 thing i noticed live, and again I was on baby duty - so maybe not paying full attention - but it looked something like a bailout call to me. I didnt really see it as being an aggressive drive that he was very confident in.

That being said, him making the FT's was very nice to see. Hopefully he and Roberson can build off the shades of light they saw.

This team might really take off if we get some more consistent perimeter shooting / bench scoring from BJ Johnson. What a shot in the arm that would be.

Especially if Roberson also takes it up a notch.
If we get somewhat below average 3 point shooting, we will make the tournament and score some upsets along the way. Notice, i'm not even saying average, just not this ridiculousness that has befallen us.

BJ has the talent he just needs to relax and just play the game. The problem was when G went down it was his time to show Boeheim what he could do with the extra playing time. He was just pressing too much and it showed. If he allows the game to come to him then he's gonna be fine.

The 1 thing i noticed live, and again I was on baby duty - so maybe not paying full attention - but it looked something like a bailout call to me. I didnt really see it as being an aggressive drive that he was very confident in.

That being said, him making the FT's was very nice to see. Hopefully he and Roberson can build off the shades of light they saw.
Well they owed us some bailout calls after doing everything in their power to secure an upset for La Tech. Rak's 4th and McCullough's 5th were beyond bad calls.

Give him time. He will be a solid contributor eventually. Great play there.

Well they owed us some bailout calls after doing everything in their power to secure an upset for La Tech. Rak's 4th and McCullough's 5th were beyond bad calls.

Agreed but Rak's first foul was completely stupid and on him. This is why he is always in foul trouble he commits 1-2 really boneheaded fouls a game and then if he gets a bad call or bordline call against him he's in deep doodoo. He needs to take responsibility for what he can control and that would eliminate 90% of the foul trouble IMO.

BJ is one of the more fundamentally solid players in terms of offensive tactical skills that the team currently has. He reads defenders well and makes strong cuts based on ball position. Likewise, he aggressively attacks the offensive glass, taking good angles for positioning. Finally, though he hasn't hit many outside shots yet, his mechanics appear sound (which is really a technical, not a tactical, skill). I'd have to study his shot more closely to say for sure, but it seems that slowing his shot down just a touch may help him be more accurate. That said, it is just a matter of time before they start falling more consistently for him.

SEASONTEAMMINFGM-FGAFG%3PM-3PA3P%FTM-FTAFT%REBASTBLKSTLPFTOPTS
2014-15 SYR 158 16-54 .296% 5-25 .200 % 11-13.84% 64 3 8 2 57 9 48
2013-14SYR 55 6-24 .250% 2-16. 125% 0-0.00 0 9 2 3 16 4 14

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online