BJ at 1:25 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

BJ at 1:25

This team might really take off if we get some more consistent perimeter shooting / bench scoring from BJ Johnson. What a shot in the arm that would be.

Especially if Roberson also takes it up a notch.
True that. BJ's got all the right instincts. He just needs to play and learn (and fill out). While it's hard watching him struggle offensively ... we REALLY need him to develop more confidence in his game (especially his shooting stroke) through January and February. TC's got everyone in the building flying at him from 3 ... if BJ could take some of the pressure off ... that would be huge for us.

To my eye, Roberson ... is looking better. He's not "there" yet, at either end. He misses defensive rotations and has no range on his jumper. But the kid is so athletic .. great inside instincts.

This is just going to be a learn-on-the-fly year.

Last edited:
I predict by his senior year BJ will be Demetrius Nichols with a better floor game. It will be fun to see him get there too.
I'd love to see it, but that seems way over optimistic to me.

I'd love to see it, but that seems way over optimistic to me.
I think people forget how bad DNich was his sophomore year. He hurt his back and got benched... averaged 3.9 ppg.

I would agree that DNich showed more promise as a freshman than BJ did but it's not like he was lighting the world on fire. However Nichols was a much more highly rated recruit and he was playing on the team that lost Edelin halfway through the year so he got some run... JB decided early on last year that he was going to have a man rotation and BJ was not as physically developed.

I think BJ has already demonstrated a better floor game than DNich in either of his first two games... I think by March his shooting will come back and we will see a real player ready to blow up next year. For the record DNich averaged 13.3 ppg and 5.8 rpg his junior year, I think BJ can definitely reach that in his junior year as well.

I think people forget how bad DNich was his sophomore year. He hurt his back and got benched... averaged 3.9 ppg.

I would agree that DNich showed more promise as a freshman than BJ did but it's not like he was lighting the world on fire. However Nichols was a much more highly rated recruit and he was playing on the team that lost Edelin halfway through the year so he got some run... JB decided early on last year that he was going to have a man rotation and BJ was not as physically developed.

I think BJ has already demonstrated a better floor game than DNich in either of his first two games... I think by March his shooting will come back and we will see a real player ready to blow up next year. For the record DNich averaged 13.3 ppg and 5.8 rpg his junior year, I think BJ can definitely reach that in his junior year as well.

What minutes and what position does BJ play next year to be able to average 13 a game?

RF2044 said:
The 3. Roberson starts at 4.

And G and Mal? What if Diagne does well and he starts at the 4? Or if we end up with Bryant and DC starts at the 4 and Roberson's at the 3?

And G and Mal? What if Diagne does well and he starts at the 4? Or if we end up with Bryant and DC starts at the 4 and Roberson's at the 3?

Never say never, but Malachi Richardson looks like a 2 all the way to me. And I don't like playing undersized guys who don't rebound effectively on the back line of the zone. He could certainly prove me wrong and start there, but I don't expect that.

G could start. I predict it will come down to him and BJ. But I like BJ's scoring upside over Gbinije's. Plus, I expect Gbinije to remain a key bench reserve at numerous positions.

If's and buts with the rest. I think Roberson's best position is 4. I've said that since last year, and have stated that repeatedly this year, well before our HC's rant on Sunday. I think he'll thrive there as a slightly undersized 4, in the mold of George Lynch. Could Diagne start, either at 4 or 5? Sure. Could DC come back healthy? Sure. But it is equally as likely that he is impaired, or doesn't come back sufficiently to play at a high level at all.

Regardless, BJ will make a big push to start.

it's an embarrassment of riches, and whomever doesn't get a chair when the music stops will immediately become Igor's next favorite player

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom