BJ Johnson on way to Midnight Madness | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

BJ Johnson on way to Midnight Madness

Lanky lefty = playing for Cuse is his destiny.

I absolutely love lefties with little baby hooks and mid range floaters. The fact this kid has range to 20 and great ball & body control attacking the rim is a huge red flag that we may have found a gem of a sleeper recruit, perfect for our playstyle.

...and he isn't a blue chip coming in with an attitude expecting to start immediately and leave after a few years spent destroying the chemistry lab.

...and if 'dream school' rumors are true and he really wants to be here - that means everything in my book.

TBH I'm kind of psyched about this kid and think I might be more excited about landing him than Vonleh/Lawrence (but not Roberson). Vonleh will play 2 yrs max, too much talent with too much height... and too much hype, meaning he is already planning on leaving before he steps foot on campus. Lawrence, as I've said, looks like all hype to me, hype and baggage.

If he gets an offer and accepts, and we land Jordan... I have no problem calling this class a HUGE success... while leaving the door wide open for the top of the top 2014 big men to see an opportunity for tons of PT (should Rak/DC2 meet potential).
If we get Jordan and one of the 3 pfs I will be happier than a pig in poo. Will be a great class with the perfect blend of talents.

If we get Jordan and one of the 3 pfs I will be happier than a pig in poo. Will be a great class with the perfect blend of talents.
I dont know ... I would be as, if not more happy playing with two ~6'8" SFs with range out to the arc than the traditional 3/4 roles. The zone needs length on the wings, but it needs quickness just as much IMO.

And our offense simply does not rely on a post presence nearly as much as ball screens, 3pters, and penetration.

I dont know ... I would be as, if not more happy playing with two ~6'8" SFs with range out to the arc than the traditional 3/4 roles. The zone needs length on the wings, but it needs quickness just as much IMO.

And our offense simply does not rely on a post presence nearly as much as ball screens, 3pters, and penetration.
I think the 3 pfs we are recruiting fit that mold to a t. LGO

my analysis of BJJ:

A more athletic Preston Shumpert.

I think the 3 pfs we are recruiting fit that mold to a t. LGO

I don't think Lawrence does, and I don't think we have a chance with Vonleh ... but I'm definitely on board with Roberson.

Mike G already fits the role that Austin would play and Johnson offers upside down the road and doesn't affect the recruitments of Roberson/Vonleh. The redshirt thing is interesting, because I think Obokoh could use a redshirt year as well to fill out. I wonder if the staff would do Johnson like Southerland, and have him prep for a year before coming in because I've never seen 2 players redshirt for non injuries. If DC2 leaves after next season then Obokoh will be needed right away and then redshirting Johnson would be no biggie, but we'll see what happens.
I think the big thing is we have some nice roster flexibility options.

my analysis of BJJ:

A more athletic Preston Shumpert.

I don't think Lawrence does, and I don't think we have a chance with Vonleh ... but I'm definitely on board with Roberson.
I was thinking a bettered handled James southerland/Dimitris Nichols. And Roberson would be my top choice too

It really feels like JB is getting away from strictly 7 guys that can play, to the 9-10 that can play at any given moment, even if it is sacrificing a little ability.

It really feels like JB is getting away from strictly 7 guys that can play, to the 9-10 that can play at any given moment, even if it is sacrificing a little ability.
I read somewhere that JB mentioned that this was one of the things he's learned from coaching the Olympic team.

Some info I found on BJ Johnson (article from 9/14/12):

"B.J. Johnson
Small Forward, Class of 2013
Johnson, a 6-foot-7 wing, has seen his recruiting stock soar over the last six months. A very young senior, the 16-year-old was hearing from Patriot League schools at this time a year ago but now has a final quartet of Big East options to choose from. Johnson named Temple, Villanova, Syracuse and Rutgers as the schools he’ll make his decision from, but added he hasn’t yet set any official visits.

“He’s an athletic 3-man, a winger, very bouncy,” Lower Merion coach Greg Downer said about Johnson. “Very good 3-point shooter, and really improved over the last six months. Getting better with the dribbling, getting stronger, but at the end of the day he is a high-flying wing that can shoot.”

Johnson showed off that shooting ability on Thursday night, hitting several 3-pointers during a full-court exercise; the athletic wing gets nice elevation and has very smooth form both off the dribble and as a spot shooter. Still working on his strength, as Downer noted, but he’s certainly not the skinniest or weakest wing around; his ability to get in the lane and hit the mid-range jumper will determine a lot about how effective he is immediately at the Big East level."

http://cityofbasketballlove.com/2012/09/open-gym-season-lower-merion/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom