BJ update | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

BJ update

Why couldn't he play the top of the zone. He is 6'7" and weight like 190 pounds I'm guessing. Battle is 6'6" and weight at least 205 I would think. He is athletic and has good lateral movement. I think he would be very versatile and could play up there.

Did he ever play guard during his 2 years at Syracuse?

No. He's not a guard. Todd Burgan was 6-7 and he wasn't a guard. Jason Cipolla was 6-7 and he was.

Different players of the same stature can play different positions and have different skill sets. B.J. Johnson is a forward.

He also cannot handle the ball like a guard, so playing guard offensively wouldn't work.
Offensively it wouldn't have mattered. JB would have had him do what he was going to do regardless of position. When spelling one of the guards, the other would be the primary ball handler. Again, it would've been short stints, a couple minutes at a time.

Did he ever play guard during his 2 years at Syracuse?

No. He's not a guard. Todd Burgan was 6-7 and he wasn't a guard. Jason Cipolla was 6-7 and he was.

Different players of the same stature can play different positions and have different skill sets. B.J. Johnson is a forward.
Burgan wasn't a guard but he handled the ball often. I also don't think he was as quick defensively.

Burgan wasn't a guard but he handled the ball often. I also don't think he was as quick defensively.

That's not the point. The question was would he have played the top of the zone.

No, he would not have. And never did in two years. Why would he have all of the sudden played the top of the zone in his last two years when he didn't in his first two?

That's not the point. The question was would he have played the top of the zone.

No, he would not have. And never did in two years. Why would he have all of the sudden played the top of the zone in his last two years when he didn't in his first two?

because now our guard rotation is paper thin even with the walk on, back then it wasnt

Have you never seen JB play guys out of position out of necessity? Why did Moten play the 3 his first two years then play the 2 the last two. David Johnson was our starting 2 guard the beginning of the 89-90 season. By his senior year he played the 4. Stevie Thompson started at the 1, 2, and 3 at different times for us. Owens started the 89-90 season as the starting 2 guard before JB shifted the line up and he settled at the 3, then played the 4 his junior year. Battle played some 3 last year.

We literally have two scholarship guards that can play right now. Is it impossible for you to envision a versatile, athletic, experienced player moving out of position a few minutes per game?

Have you never seen JB play guys out of position out of necessity? Why did Moten play the 3 his first two years then play the 2 the last two. David Johnson was our starting 2 guard the beginning of the 89-90 season. By his senior year he played the 4. Stevie Thompson started at the 1, 2, and 3 at different times for us. Owens started the 89-90 season as the starting 2 guard before JB shifted the line up and he settled at the 3, then played the 4 his junior year. Battle played some 3 last year.

We literally have two scholarship guards that can play right now. Is it impossible for you to envision a versatile, athletic, experienced player moving out of position a few minutes per game?
Obviously, you haven't seen the players that he has been guarding man to man all year. BJ has played defensively players from 1-5 on the court using his length, extreme quickness and size to defend opposing players.

Obviously, you haven't seen the players that he has been guarding man to man all year. BJ has played defensively players from 1-5 on the court using his length, extreme quickness and size to defend opposing players.
I think this is supposed to be directed at someone else. I have been arguing your son would be fine at the top of the zone. The 'JB' I referenced in the post you quoted is Boeheim, explaining how he has often played guys out of their natural position when necessary. I think BJ could have helped us a ton this year starting on the wing and giving the guards a break up top a few minutes per game. I really wish we had redshirted him as a freshman.

I think this is supposed to be directed at someone else. I have been arguing your son would be fine at the top of the zone. The 'JB' I referenced in the post you quoted is Boeheim, explaining how he has often played guys out of their natural position when necessary. I think BJ could have helped us a ton this year starting on the wing and giving the guards a break up top a few minutes per game. I really wish we had redshirted him as a freshman.
Oops my bad, must be the after affects of the Hennessy after the last offensive play of the RI game.

dixon-236192-f-wp-content-uploads-2017-11-887232_a019971f965408f-e1510094001133-1200x798.jpg

Congrats Son!!

NABC announces Division I All-District teams

The National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) have announced the Division I All-District teams. The players were selected and voted on by member coaches of the NABC in NCAA Division I. The selections are broken down in districts.

*La Salle basketball star B.J. Johnson* along with Villanova standouts Jalen Brunson and Mikal Bridges were chosen to the All-District teams. *In District 4, Johnson was named to the second team.* In District 5, Brunson was named to the first team. Bridges was chosen on the second team.

View attachment 125513
Congrats Son!!

NABC announces Division I All-District teams

The National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) have announced the Division I All-District teams. The players were selected and voted on by member coaches of the NABC in NCAA Division I. The selections are broken down in districts.

*La Salle basketball star B.J. Johnson* along with Villanova standouts Jalen Brunson and Mikal Bridges were chosen to the All-District teams. *In District 4, Johnson was named to the second team.* In District 5, Brunson was named to the first team. Bridges was chosen on the second team.
Congratulations to BJ. Great season!

Am a little disappointed right now with the Bazley news. What a jerk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom