BJ | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

BJ

I hope this isn't too frowned upon, but I really don't want BJ to add any more height. I remember my own growth spurt in my Jr. year (from five-six to six-two), and a couple more inches by 18. I didn't proportion out right, which was most obvious in my wrists and ankles, which got thinner the longer they got. I envied shorter guys for escaping this bizarre phenomenon. I worked out at Gold's in my twenties and added some weight, but the wrists and lower forearms looked even more weird.

I'd just want BJ to fill in properly as is so he can get on with the business of rounding out his game skill-wise. Michael Jordan never actually hit six-seven, and as we all know, he went on to have a pretty good college career.
What's wrong with a player being able to do the things that Lamar Odom at 6'11" or KD at 6'11" could do at that height? If BJ happens to grow in height it won't diminish his skills as a player. Hoping that a player does not grow any taller especially a 17 year old is like telling a player to stop improving themselves. If MJ was taller he would still be arguably the best ever. You just adapt to your situation and make it work.

What's wrong with a player being able to do the things that Lamar Odom at 6'11" or KD at 6'11" could do at that height? If BJ happens to grow in height it won't diminish his skills as a player. Hoping that a player does not grow any taller especially a 17 year old is like telling a player to stop improving themselves. If MJ was taller he would still be arguably the best ever. You just adapt to your situation and make it work.
Let's not forget KG and Dirk ;)
But yeah, I agree with OG here. Bozophobe, sorry to hear that your growth spurt wasn't proportioned. It must have been painful at times, especially on your ankles. Still, if this does happen and the player is healthy and ok in the long run, why not?

After all, look what happened with Anthony Davis. He had guard skills throughout high school and became an incredibly gifted shot blocker and finisher the one year he had with Kenturkey.

If any of BJ, Roberson or Grant (who actually grew again and is now 6'9 - there's an interview somewhere that pertains to USA basketball) grew to 6'11 and stayed healthy and lucky enough to be proportionate, can you just imagine the damage they would do?

I hope this isn't too frowned upon, but I really don't want BJ to add any more height. I remember my own growth spurt in my Jr. year (from five-six to six-two), and a couple more inches by 18. I didn't proportion out right, which was most obvious in my wrists and ankles, which got thinner the longer they got. I envied shorter guys for escaping this bizarre phenomenon. I worked out at Gold's in my twenties and added some weight, but the wrists and lower forearms looked even more weird.

I'd just want BJ to fill in properly as is so he can get on with the business of rounding out his game skill-wise. Michael Jordan never actually hit six-seven, and as we all know, he went on to have a pretty good college career.

I think your story is pretty unique plus BJ passed 6-2 a long time ago...apples and oranges

FYI: In talking with coaches today and yesterday on BJ's progress. BJ is continuing to progress well in his workouts with the BB coaches and S&C trainer. Both Coach AA and G-Mac said that they are very impressed with how far BJ in terms of the skill level is at this point. They did not think that he would be this far along in what they have him doing at both the guard and forward spots. He is doing everything from shooting off the dribble, getting to the rack, ball handling, pick and rolls and defensive slides and coverage. From a fitness standpoint the trainer is pleased with his work ethic and technic coming in because all the SU staff did was follow what BJ was doing here and added some things to his workout. Coach AA, "He is going to be a great one here." Coach G-Mac, "It is going to be hard to keep him off the floor because he can really shoot it." Both stated that they were very happily surprised and impressed with BJ. He was working out with G-Mac along with Devo, Ron and Tyler Ennis. Back to work at 6am tomorrow for BJ.

FYI: In talking with coaches today and yesterday on BJ's progress. BJ is continuing to progress well in his workouts with the BB coaches and S&C trainer. Both Coach AA and G-Mac said that they are very impressed with how far BJ in terms of the skill level is at this point. They did not think that he would be this far along in what they have him doing at both the guard and forward spots. He is doing everything from shooting off the dribble, getting to the rack, ball handling, pick and rolls and defensive slides and coverage. From a fitness standpoint the trainer is pleased with his work ethic and technic coming in because all the SU staff did was follow what BJ was doing here and added some things to his workout. Coach AA, "He is going to be a great one here." Coach G-Mac, "It is going to be hard to keep him off the floor because he can really shoot it." Both stated that they were very happily surprised and impressed with BJ. He was working out with G-Mac along with Devo, Ron and Tyler Ennis. Back to work at 6am tomorrow for BJ.
I have a man crush on you as a poster. Thank you!

Question for those in the know; is it true that we have a growth coach? My evidence: 1) no matter how short any guard is when recruited, by the time the season starts he grows to 6', no exceptions, 2) Grant claims to have added an inch, 3) everyone on this board is certain that every scholarship player is growing taller, and 4) when Cuse players leave campus to enter the draft two things happen - they are no longer growth coached and they lose an inch or two at the combine. This cannot be coincidence. Would someone from the pay site tell the truth before the NCAA uncovers our secrete?

Question for those in the know; is it true that we have a growth coach? My evidence: 1) no matter how short any guard is when recruited, by the time the season starts he grows to 6', no exceptions, 2) Grant claims to have added an inch, 3) everyone on this board is certain that every scholarship player is growing taller, and 4) when Cuse players leave campus to enter the draft two things happen - they are no longer growth coached and they lose an inch or two at the combine. This cannot be coincidence. Would someone from the pay site tell the truth before the NCAA uncovers our secrete?

I think all colleges have 'growth' coaches haha.

I think your story is pretty unique plus BJ passed 6-2 a long time ago...apples and oranges

Thanks for the reply, but I didn't mean to make my post so much about me ( I'm hardly the elephant man, anyway). I just meant that I sometimes question the "project player" approach by SU. I get that some years are lean; recruiting-wise. But who benefits most from the extensive 4 year program of developing the awkward/disproportionate recruits anyway? Surely the player does, but not so much for the program and the fans, it seems. Even when it works, they soon graduate.

And I never said BJ is going to be one - by a long shot. I just feel it's weirdly unrealistic to think an extra inch will make BJ suddenly suitable for another position on the court at this point.

And I will say that I hope we don't see a sycophantic cult develop around BJ and his father here where people are not allowed to express a negative but accurate observation now and then. Some will be fair, and some will not, but it's coming. I wonder how Trevor Cooney's Dad feels now. Or that of Mookie Jones. The Johnson family may be about to experience a couple of decades of wonderful things. One of the prices they'll have to pay is life under the microscope, though. This website (all of us) will continue to be heavily pro-BJ Johnson compared to what the rest of the nation will throw at him.

BO8erixCAAA9J4v.jpg:large

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom