Blaming MCW | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Blaming MCW

Lots of reasons we lost today. In the mood to b*tch so here goes. I think correcting any of these and we win:
- Get Southerland back on the floor! Figure it out and get it done.
- Develop Coleman. We have scholarship 5 star big man that we can't trust to put in as a last resort?
- Make some flippin' free throws MCW!

A couple thoughts:
1. This team is not made for stall ball. It takes us 25-30 seconds to get a decent look most of the time; especially today. So running the clock out for the last 4 minutes absolutely killed us. Strange rotations aside, this is one of the first times that I've really felt like Boeheim flat out cost us the game. He knows his personnel better than that.
2. We probably shot like 20 more free throws than 'Nova, and I still feel like we got shafted by the refs. So many touch fouls against us and so many uncalled fouls when they murdered us.
3. Even if we got those calls, who knows if we actually would have made a free throw.
4. CJ Fair is the only guy on the team that consistently makes free throws, but we can't give him the ball at the ends of games because he can't handle the ball like MCW and Triche.
5. Triche needs to get his head out of his ass when it comes to free throw shooting, and MCW needs to take his time. He always seems to be in a rush when he gets to the free throw line.
6. The 3 guard lineup is a failed experiment. Triche can't play down low in the zone. He was completely lost and cost us 10+ points alone when he was playing down low.
7. There's absolutely no reason not to have Coleman in over Cooney. Cooney's shooting is too inconsistent right now. He needs to slow down. Because of this, having him on the offensive end isn't helping us, and having him on the defensive end pushes Triche down low, which is a huge liability.
8. We aren't even that good of a shot blocking team, and yet we try to block every single pumpfake, shot, layup, dunk, etc. Notre Dame is going to kill us with fakes because they know we will fall for them.

mostly on JB and somewhat Brandon. Brandon, as a senior, and apparent leader needs to demand the ball...he didn't

Yea, Triche should have gone over to MCW and taken it from him. Demanding the ball, whatever that is, wasn't going to do it because MCW wasn't gonna give it up. He waved Triche off one time.

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

5. Triche needs to get his head out of his ass when it comes to free throw shooting.i

He was 3-4 down the stretch.

This is on MCW and Jimmy. Brandon was taking over, so of course in the final three and a half minutes, we go to stall ball and put the ball in MCW's hands, and refuse to let Brandon touch it.

I also don't get the final possession of regulation, playing small and giving Villanova a better shot at an offensive rebound rather than having Coleman - who came in here being KNOWN FOR HIS REBOUNDING PROWESS - on the court. Also, not fouling before they could attempt their first three pointer to begin with. Put them on the line and freaking rebound, don't give them not one, but TWO shots at a three.

Unreal.

Especially after Coleman did enough to create some Nova turnovers when he was out there. He was a plus for us. I'm still angry at MCW and JB for how the last 3 minutes of regulation went down. We should have taken that win with us. Just awful late game execution. Yes Nova played tough and gritty, but no one was defending MCW and Triche on the FT line late in the game. Gotta make those. I hope JB has MCW shooting 100 FT's everyday after practice.

Yeah, the one miss leaving us down one instead of in a tie game... nova then hit a 3 to make it a two possession game. Gotta hit all 4 FT's

Poor coaching by JB all day.

2 hours ... 2 hours ... it took JB 2 hours to call his 2nd TO when he's using no rotation to give his players a rest. That's 40 minutes of play before realizing a TO might be helpful.
great point. This is JB's most poorly coached game of the year.

Yea, Triche should have gone over to MCW and taken it from him. Demanding the ball, whatever that is, wasn't going to do it because MCW wasn't gonna give it up. He waved Triche off one time.

Exactly. This is on Mike, not JB, not Triche. Mike wanted it and wouldn't give it up regardless what he was told, JB reamed into him at one point during the last few minutes and it still didn't change anything so don't blame anyone but the wannabe Hero. Have fun in the NBA Mikey.

and 3-6 in the past 3 games now. He and MCW have both been awful from the free throw line down the stretch.

Edit: I'm just sick and tired of treating 1-2 from the free throw line like it's a good trip with our guards. It's pathetic that our guards can't be counted on at the free throw line.

As mentioned, clearly enough blame to go around down the stretch in regulation. But for Brandon not to touch the ball the last 3 minutes of regulation is just flat out mostly on JB and somewhat Brandon. Brandon, as a senior, and apparent leader needs to demand the ball...he didn't and was plenty content just watching MCW with his poor handle just make mistake after mistake.

Yeah, I keep wondering about this. This is the second game in the row where he was pretty invisible until the the last 5-8 minutes, we could use some more assistance in the first 30+. Not knocking the kid, but he or JB needs to do more to help MCW as he goes through a rough patch.

MCW cost us this one, no doubt, but we could do more to minimize the pressure on the kid.

Yeah, the one miss leaving us down one instead of in a tie game... nova then hit a 3 to make it a two possession game. Gotta hit all 4 FT's

You expect 100% all the time? He was struggling prior. I'll take 3-4.

and 3-6 in the past 3 games now. He and MCW have both been awful from the free throw line down the stretch.

Edit: I'm just sick and tired of treating 1-2 from the free throw line like it's a good trip with our guards. It's pathetic that our guards can't be counted on at the free throw line.

Thought we were talking about today's game. My bad.

Thought we were talking about today game. My bad.

Yeah I was talking about today's game; just not with that particular part. That's more of a theme of the season. Our guards can't be counted on to make free throws down the stretch.

Yeah, I keep wondering about this. This is the second game in the row where he was pretty invisible until the the last 5-8 minutes, we could use some more assistance in the first 30+. Not knocking the kid, but he or JB needs to do more to help MCW as he goes through a rough patch.

MCW cost us this one, no doubt, but we could do more to minimize the pressure on the kid.

Huh? He had 14 points before the closing 8 mins. That's almost his average.

He's got a ton of talent, but he's really playing pretty poorly in Big East play. He needs to get it together.

He's more frustrating to watch than Scoop ever was, at this point.

I can't imagine this place if Scoop played half as badly as Carter-Williams does.

And forgetting about the free throws (which made the difference) for a moment, how about completely matadoring the tying three? Put a hand up. Stay in front of him. Do anything other than slide away from the shooter and watch a win go right into the toilet.

Bees, with your high basketball IQ, don't for one minute act like you have no idea what demanding the ball is...that's just a foolish remark. Even, as you say, MCW wasn't going to give it up, at no time did Brandon's demeanor on the floor suggest to MCW give me the ball...he was seemingly content just watching MCW and his poor handle make mistake upon mistake.

And, yes. Triche should've gone over (as many other top/lead players on other teams do when they want the ball) and taken it from him...it happens often in other games I've witnessed down the stretch in crunch time. MCW and his Olive Oyl build is hardly a match for Brandon...

I can't imagine this place if Scoop played half as badly as Carter-Williams does.

And forgetting about the free throws (which made the difference) for a moment, how about completely matadoring the tying three? Put a hand up. Stay in front of him. Do anything other than slide away from the shooter and watch a win go right into the toilet.

To be fair, the shot was still heavily contested. The kid shot it between a double team without setting his feet. He misses that shot 9 times out of 10.

Bees, with your high basketball IQ, don't for one minute act like you have no idea what demanding the ball is...that's just a foolish remark. Even, as you say, MCW wasn't going to give it up, at no time did Brandon's demeanor on the floor suggest to MCW give me the ball...he was seemingly content just watching MCW and his poor handle make mistake upon mistake.

And, yes. Triche should've gone over (as many other top/lead players on other teams do when they want the ball) and taken it from him...it happens often in other games I've witnessed down the stretch in crunch time. MCW and his Olive Oyl build is hardly a match for Brandon...

I know what it means. That's why I pointed out MCW waving him off. I think Triche should demand the balk every possession or go punch MCW upside the head and take it. A great pg doesn't have to be told how to manage the end of the game. Saying demand the ball means nothing.

And yeah, I didn't understand why we stopped trying to run an offense down the stretch.
Because JB mistakenly equates "playing not to lose" with "playing to win".

JB's Achilles heel as a coach is that he does not instill a killer instinct on his team. It shows too often at the beginning of games (today is a prime example), and it really shows when we have leads late in games. When you have a team down, you don't change the game. You keep up the pressure, aggression, and confidence. And you stomp on your opponent's head until they beg for mercy. And then you show them no mercy.

I know what it means. That's why I pointed out MCW waving him off. I think Triche should demand the balk every possession or go punch MCW upside the head and take it. A great pg doesn't have to be told how to manage the end of the game. Saying demand the ball means nothing.

Might want to look further up the food chain for someone to punch in the head.

To be fair, the shot was still heavily contested. The kid shot it between a double team without setting his feet. He misses that shot 9 times out of 10.

Wasn't an easy shot, but (and this is not hyperbolic) Mike did everything he could to make it as easy as possible. Hands at his sides, he flat-out stepped to the side of the kid. Complete matador defense.

No he didn't.

Agree completely that a great point guard doesn't have to be told how to manage the end of a game. All the more reason for Brandon to physically (body language & all) get up in MCW's face if need be and get it. It wouldn't bother me in the least if their exchange was similar to Alabama's qb and his roommate's (Alabama center) exchange in the national championship game. BT should take control & be in charge down the stretch. He's a much better finisher at this stage in their careers than MCW...

It is typical of those who don't know basketball to use a player points scored as a measure of effectiveness.

You comment ignores the 4-17 shooting, the 0-4 from 3, the 8-14 FTs, the 4 TOs (esp in the critical moments of regulation) to go with only 4 assists, and the shaky ballhandling against the better teams.

PLEASE tell me your comment is somehow sarcastic or made in jest.

I'm curious if Triche was playing with some sort cold or flu going on. He was really sucking air most of the game which I've never noticed before. Normally he appears fresh like he could play a double header.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom