Blocking by the numbers | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Blocking by the numbers

Clearly, you didn’t watch the same game as me. He had way more than 6 attempts to pass.

There's a box score that measures these things, y'know.
He only had 6 attempts in the first half.

I guess you're suggesting that he dropped back, hoping to pass, more often than that. I would agree.

But that means that any other time he dropped back, he was forced from the pocket and either ran or got sacked.

When that happens, that's not good blocking by the offensive line.

That's how you measure not having good protection, when you only have time to actually get off 6 passes in 30 minutes.

I guess you want to die on this hill. So, good for you. The pass protection was poor in the first half. There's really no debating. We only scored 3 points. What evidence do you have that the O Line did great in the first half in their pass protection?

It seperates each Oline position. None of our guys are currently grading great- but they've been fairly effective. I think only Berg is in the top 100. (Out of 561)

Our other guys fall just below the middle, in their position.

Nunbers will change as minimum snaps increase. At that point, it will be a more accurate depiction of how they compare.

The way I look at it is if 32 NFL teams subscribe to the service, who am I to say my eyes and evaluation is better.

Without sharing the exact number, I kind of addressed it in the OP. Vett and Berg were both at the low end of average while the others were below average. Overall as a team we were below average.
Gotcha...did not see that...thx

I guess you're suggesting that he dropped back, hoping to pass, more often than that. I would agree.

But that means that any other time he dropped back, he was forced from the pocket and either ran or got sacked.

That's how you measure not having good protection, when you only have time to actually get off 6 passes in 30 minutes.

I guess you want to die on this hill. So, good for you. The pass protection was poor in the first half. There's really no debating. We only scored 3 points. What evidence do you have that the O Line did great in the first half in their pass protection?
Do you know anything about football? He dropped back multiple times, had time to look around, and after a certain amount of time where you can’t find anybody to throw to, you have to either
1. Tuck the ball and run
2. Escape the pocket and throw it away or
3. Scramble around continuing to look downfield for somebody to break free.
Garrett does number 1.
I can’t spell it out for you any better than that.

I dont have a Dog in this fight but Shrader had 6 pass attempts in the 1st Quarter

Play By Play​

Play By Play Quarters:1st2nd3rd4thGame Start
Start of 1st Half
Syracuse wins toss and will receive; PUR will defend West end-zone.
Start of 1st quarter, clock 15:00.
Van Eekeren,Chris kickoff 65 yards to the SYR00, Touchback.
Syracuse at 15:00

Syracuse at 15:00
1st and 10 at SYR25Syracuse drive start at 15:00.
1st and 10 at SYR25No Huddle-Shotgun Shrader, Garrett pass incomplete short right to Tucker,Sean.
2nd and 10 at SYR25No Huddle-Shotgun Tucker,Sean rush middle for 4 yards gain to the SYR29 (Allen,Cam).
3rd and 6 at SYR29No Huddle-Shotgun Shrader, Garrett pass incomplete short right to Tucker,Sean.
4th and 6 at SYR29Von Marburg,Max punt 45 yards to the PUR26 Jones,Charlie return for loss of 1 yard to the PUR25 (Clark,Alijah).
Purdue at 14:09

Purdue at 14:09
1st and 10 at PUR25Purdue drive start at 14:09.
1st and 10 at PUR25No Huddle-Shotgun O'Connell,Aidan pass complete short right to Sheffield,TJ for 8 yards to the PUR33 (Williams,Garrett).
2nd and 2 at PUR33No Huddle-Shotgun O'Connell,Aidan pass complete short right to Durham,Payne for 1 yard to the PUR34 (Williams,Garrett; Jones,Mikel).
3rd and 1 at PUR34No Huddle-Shotgun Downing,Dylan rush middle for 1 yard gain to the PUR35 (Jones,Mikel), 1ST DOWN.
1st and 10 at PUR35No Huddle-Shotgun O'Connell,Aidan pass complete short left to Tracy Jr.,Tyrone for 10 yards to the PUR45 (Barron,Justin), 1ST DOWN.
1st and 10 at PUR45No Huddle-Shotgun O'Connell,Aidan pass incomplete short right to Durham,Payne broken up by Williams,Garrett QB hurried by Wax,Marlowe.
2nd and 10 at PUR45No Huddle-Shotgun O'Connell,Aidan pass complete short left to Rice,Mershawn for 9 yards to the SYR46 (Williams,Garrett).
3rd and 1 at SYR46No Huddle-Shotgun O'Connell,Aidan pass complete short left to Durham,Payne for 7 yards to the SYR39 (Chestnut,Duce), 1ST DOWN.
1st and 10 at SYR39No Huddle-Shotgun Mockobee,Devin rush middle for 6 yards gain to the SYR33 (Chestnut,Duce) PENALTY SYR Personal Foul 15 yards from SYR33 to SYR18, 1ST DOWN.
1st and 10 at SYR18No Huddle-Shotgun Mockobee,Devin rush left for 6 yards loss to the SYR24 (Darton,Kevon).
2nd and 16 at SYR24No Huddle-Shotgun Mockobee,Devin rush left for 0 yards to the SYR24 (Darton,Kevon).
3rd and 16 at SYR24No Huddle-Shotgun O'Connell,Aidan pass complete deep middle to Jones,Charlie for 13 yards to the SYR11, out of bounds at SYR11.
4th and 3 at SYR11No Huddle-Shotgun Downing,Dylan rush middle for 2 yards gain to the SYR09 (Darton,Kevon).
Syracuse at 08:55

Syracuse at 08:55
1st and 10 at SYR9Syracuse drive start at 08:55.
1st and 10 at SYR9No Huddle-Shotgun Shrader,Garrett rush right for 7 yards gain to the SYR16 (Douglas,Kieren).
2nd and 3 at SYR16No Huddle-Shotgun Shrader,Garrett rush right for 6 yards gain to the SYR22, End Of Play, 1ST DOWN.
1st and 10 at SYR22No Huddle-Shotgun Shrader,Garrett rush middle for 11 yards gain to the SYR33 (Taylor,Reese), 1ST DOWN.
1st and 10 at SYR33No Huddle-Shotgun Shrader, Garrett pass complete short left to Gadsden II,Oronde for 6 yards to the SYR39 (Trice,Cory).
2nd and 4 at SYR39No Huddle-Shotgun Tucker,Sean rush middle for 10 yards gain to the SYR49 (Kane,Sanoussi), 1ST DOWN.
1st and 10 at SYR49No Huddle-Shotgun Shrader, Garrett pass incomplete short left to Jones,Isaiah PENALTY PUR Pass Interference 15 yards from SYR49 to PUR36, 1ST DOWN. NO PLAY.
1st and 10 at PUR36No Huddle-Shotgun Allen,LeQuint pass incomplete short right to Shrader,Garrett.
2nd and 10 at PUR36No Huddle-Shotgun Tucker,Sean rush middle for 4 yards gain to the PUR32 (Boyd Jr.,Prince).
3rd and 6 at PUR32No Huddle-Shotgun Shrader, Garrett pass incomplete short middle to Jackson,Courtney.
4th and 6 at PUR32Szmyt,Andre field goal attempt from 50 yards GOOD (H: Barron,Justin, LS: Bolinsky,Aaron), clock 05:33.
1st and 10 at SYR35Denaburg,Brady kickoff 65 yards to the PUR00, Touchback.
Purdue 0-3 SyracusePurdue at 05:33

Purdue at 05:33
1st and 10 at PUR25Purdue drive start at 05:33.
1st and 10 at PUR25No Huddle-Shotgun O'Connell,Aidan pass complete short right to Tracy Jr.,Tyrone for 2 yards to the PUR27 (Wax,Marlowe).
2nd and 8 at PUR27No Huddle-Shotgun Mockobee,Devin rush right for 4 yards gain to the PUR31 (McDonald,Derek).
3rd and 4 at PUR31No Huddle-Shotgun O'Connell,Aidan pass complete short right to Durham,Payne for 7 yards to the PUR38 (Williams,Garrett), 1ST DOWN.
1st and 10 at PUR38No Huddle-Shotgun Sheffield,TJ pass incomplete short middle QB hurried by Jones,Mikel PENALTY PUR Intentional Grounding.
2nd and 16 at PUR32No Huddle-Shotgun O'Connell,Aidan pass complete deep middle to Rice,Mershawn for 22 yards to the SYR46 (Chestnut,Duce; McDonald,Derek), 1ST DOWN.
1st and 10 at SYR46No Huddle-Shotgun O'Connell,Aidan pass complete short left to Jones,Charlie for 1 yard to the SYR45 (Jones,Mikel).
2nd and 9 at SYR45No Huddle-Shotgun O'Connell,Aidan pass complete deep left to Jones,Charlie for 16 yards to the SYR29 (Williams,Garrett), 1ST DOWN.
1st and 10 at SYR29PENALTY PUR False Start 5 yards from SYR29 to SYR34. NO PLAY.
1st and 15 at SYR34No Huddle-Shotgun O'Connell,Aidan pass complete short left to Sheffield,TJ for 6 yards to the SYR28 (Barron,Justin; Darton,Kevon).
2nd and 9 at SYR28No Huddle-Shotgun O'Connell,Aidan pass complete deep middle to Durham,Payne for 13 yards to the SYR15 (Okechukwu,Caleb), 1ST DOWN.
1st and 10 at SYR15No Huddle-Shotgun Mockobee,Devin rush right for 15 yards gain to the SYR00 TOUCHDOWN, clock 00:39, 1ST DOWN.
1st and 10 at SYR3Fineran,Mitchell kick attempt failed ( blocked by Geer,Jatius) (H: Albers,Jack, LS: Zecchino,Nick) recovered by SYR Simmons Jr.,Jason at SYR00 Simmons Jr.,Jason return 82 yards to the PUR18 (Piferi,Paul).
1st and 10 at PUR35Van Eekeren,Chris kickoff 65 yards to the SYR00, Touchback.
Purdue 6-3 SyracuseSyracuse at 00:39

Syracuse at 00:39
1st and 10 at SYR25Syracuse drive start at 00:39.
1st and 10 at SYR25No Huddle-Shotgun Shrader, Garrett pass complete deep right to Cooper,Devaughn for 11 yards to the SYR36 (Taylor,Reese), 1ST DOWN.
1st and 10 at SYR36No Huddle-Shotgun Shrader,Garrett rush middle for 15 yards gain to the PUR49 (Taylor,Reese), 1ST DOWN.

While I agree that it's difficult to grade offensive line play, I think the PFF system (at least what I read about it ...) makes it pretty clear. You have to win your assignment vs. the guy opposite you.
yeah. but thats not always the pt of every block you make.. we dont really know assignments and what if i block the man who comes at me but thats not the guy im supposed to be blocking.. or if you are supposed to hit and move off a block and i dont release. things we cant tell.

^^^ I didn’t make either of those posts.^^^

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom