Bob Chesney | Page 30 | Syracusefan.com

Bob Chesney

All of these other P5 schools with openings/hirings and not one even remotely considered hiring from FCS. But, Syracuse believes, just like our recruiting philosophy, they can find a hidden gem from the FCS level. Typical and disappointing.

Remember when Addazio put out a clip of taking a phone call and yelling “we got another DUDE” on National LOI Day, good times…

I’m a pretty big fan of Chesney. We could do a lot worse. I know he is t the biggest name on the board, but he checks a lot of boxes for Syracuse.

1. He can program build: Holy Cross was a Patriot League doormat before his arrival. They’ve won or tied for a share of the league title 4 out of his 5 years there.

2. NE ties: life long NE coach. We’d certainly have to provide him with some Florida / SE coaches. But let’s be real, we have to grab some decent talent out of the NE to have a chance.

3. Can you scheme a team to wins vs out talent teams: HC gave both BC and Army all they could handle this year. He beat Buffalo last year. He beat UCONN the year before.

Obviously there are questions surrounding his ability to recruit in the NIL / portal era. Can he recruit Florida or the Southeast?

I know that he isnt the household name of a Mullen per say, but he is definitely a very viable candidate.

I’m a pretty big fan of Chesney. We could do a lot worse. I know he is t the biggest name on the board, but he checks a lot of boxes for Syracuse.

1. He can program build: Holy Cross was a Patriot League doormat before his arrival. They’ve won or tied for a share of the league title 4 out of his 5 years there.

2. NE ties: life long NE coach. We’d certainly have to provide him with some Florida / SE coaches. But let’s be real, we have to grab some decent talent out of the NE to have a chance.

3. Can you scheme a team to wins vs out talent teams: HC gave both BC and Army all they could handle this year. He beat Buffalo last year. He beat UCONN the year before.

Obviously there are questions surrounding his ability to recruit in the NIL / portal era. Can he recruit Florida or the Southeast?

I know that he isnt the household name of a Mullen per se, but he is definitely a very viable candidate.
Agree completely. And if we were able to support him with a bigger nil war chest, we will be better off. To me if it’s spending 2m-4m extra on a coach or nil, give me the nil. Every time. (So long as the coach can execute as you noted)

I know that he isnt the household name of a Mullen per say, but he is definitely a very viable candidate.
Mullen has a high floor. He knows what he's doing.

He had 1 ten win season at Mississippi State in 9 years. Babers had one in 8 years here.

He had 2 at florida out of 4. Babers had 1 out of 2 at BG.

Mullen is a great choice if your priority is to avoid being bad. 5 wins is the worst you'll do. Babers floor was 4 if you exclude covid.

Mullen median = 8 wins. Babers median minus covid = 6.

I would've been fine with Mullen but I have a higher tolerance for risk, go for someone who might give us more special seasons.

He has plenty of Florida kids at Holy Cross and a bunch of Texas kids too. It is not like he is a HS coach from the Northeast.

Clinging to nostalgia that worked in the 80's and 90's doesn't seem to be a great or innovative way to run a football program. I am sure Chesney is a great guy, but I expect our good players to transfer and he will bring in his own guys just happy to be playing at this level next year. I think next year figures to be worse than Dino's first season.

I agree with all of this. The other thing I don't get is our fan base suggesting/insisting our current assistants are better because they have been here and our recruiting. No unit has been coached up and our recruiting stinks. We are Syracuse, this is a no guarantee hire whether it's Chesney, Mullen, or Ara Parsehghian.

Not to stir rumors up, but did we ever get any confirmation about Chesney being on campus Saturday?

I was fine with Chesney before all the DM stuff. Like a lot of posters. My only concern with Chesney is recruiting and staff. Recruiting, being able to hire at least 1-2 solid recruiters and/or keeping Nunzio on staff will be important. Getting staff with P5 experience to develop players. I doubt he’s got the contacts that a P5 coach would for recruiting and finding high level staff.

Agree completely. And if we were able to support him with a bigger nil war chest, we will be better off. To me if it’s spending 2m-4m extra on a coach or nil, give me the nil. Every time. (So long as the coach can execute as you noted)
Agree. I joined Orange United because I was excited about the Mullen possibility but I don't regret it now. It's still going to be very necessary to support it regardless of who is coach and probably even more so now.

Chesney has no street cred at the P4 level so he 1 to prove it.

Clinging to nostalgia that worked in the 80's and 90's doesn't seem to be a great or innovative way to run a football program. I am sure Chesney is a great guy, but I expect our good players to transfer and he will bring in his own guys just happy to be playing at this level next year. I think next year figures to be worse than Dino's first season.
I don’t think that’s the case at all. Very different parallels there.

Chesney can out coach a lot of his peers. You are absolutely correct in hoping he can recruit (as I alluded to in the post).

But every realistic candidate would have questions attached to them.

Can Mullen actually outscheme opponents or can he just win with better talent? Because realistically that isn’t going to happen at Syracuse.

He did a great job at Miss St, but had the same amount of double digit win seasons as Dino did here.

Chesney can out coach a lot of his peers. You are absolutely correct in hoping he can recruit (as I alluded to in the post).

Can Mullen actually outscheme opponents or can he just win with better talent? Because realistically that isn’t going to happen at Syracuse.

He did a great job at Miss St, but had the same amount of double digit win seasons as Dino did here.
My concern is I think next year has the potential to be Gerg level bad with this change because I don’t think any player with an ounce of ability is going to stick around for this guy. Dino walked in the door with Dungey here. We have nobody like that to give us any hope for next year.

Dino would've been fine with Dak Prescott. He was only a 3 star at espn. I assume Mullen recruited him. Dino went with Devito, Mullen went with Prescott. It's all a crap shoot. Do we even care about Mullen if he got Prescott wrong? Or should we give him credit for getting it right?

Reactions: CIL
My concern is I think next year has the potential to be Gerg level bad with this change because I don’t think any player with an ounce of ability is going to stick around for this guy. Dino walked in the door with Dungey here. We have nobody like that to give us any hope for next year.
How dare you insult McPhail like that .

Very valid concerns. These things require patience. We can offer immediate playing time to almost an QB prospect. Let’s see how the dust settles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom