Bob Chesney | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

Bob Chesney

Are parents today starting to train little hockey player at 4 or 5 years old?

Yes. Guy I work with his son has been playing in Albany area since he was 5 (he’s a senior now I think) and my buddy’s son is now doing the same thing and he started at 5-6.

I have a ton of thoughts about youth sports but can we please keep this discussion thread focused on Chesney?
How are Chesney's Olines? Whats his offensive scheme?

Reactions: FAL
Its really a function though of where you start..

Very few kids are coming out of the class d-c and doing all this extra stuff and getting a ton of value for it. You might get a few D3 offers from it

You move up in NY to class A and see something and on occasion the B kids find a way

But then if you have 20 kids on a team and every few years someone makes it thats great... I also think though a ton of kids who might have talent never get that far because of all this extra stuff they cant find money or time to compete and quit long before they ever show their talent.

In my youth coaching probably 25% of the better bball/baseball kids never even played much beyond the early stages because people valued sizea/aggression early on more than instincts or talent.

I’ve got a fever for Chesney, and the only prescription is more Chesney.
1700670149354.jpeg

I’ve been in it, their facilities are incredible. Olympic quality weight room too
We have the largest college IPF in the country, and we’re probably the only school with TWO indoor facilities.

My son played on high level teams throughout NY including locally. The travel, financial and training commitment was enormous for us but we found a way to make it work. We would be in Toronto one weekend and Boston the next, followed up with a trip to Chicago and Pittsburgh. We added it all up afterwards and we spent close to $145k all in for him to drop out of hockey at 16 to play for the school.
Needless to say, our daughter plays travel softball and will be trying out for JV this year. The lesson we learned is it doesn’t matter what travel team they are on when they are 10-12yrs old as long as they have a committed coach. One that gets down to their level and critiques in a constructive way. Let them be kids and by all means do not sign them up for clinics. Spend the money on private lessons that are consistent every week and watch them grow from that.
I wouldn’t let my daughter do what my son went through at such a young age. Burn out is a real thing and my son hit it. Let them be kids first and they will let you know when they are ready for a full commitment to whatever they want to do.
Yep, my son was a travel level player and played all over the NE and Canada. As a parent, I'm not sure I'll ever forgive myself for allowing it to happen the way it played out. The first warning sign was playing 84 games (winter schedule) as a 12 year old. Waaaay too much pressure to put on young kids.

Imho, that's semantics. Whether you call it a "rebuild" or not, when your program is a national joke, perceived as a P5 bottom feeder and you just fire your coach - it's a rebuild. It may not be a "complete reboot" but when your trying to rebuild a once respected program and brand that is no longer respected, it's a rebuild.
If you are coming off consecutive bowl games, it’s not a complete rebuild. Doesn’t matter how you got there.

Imho, that's semantics. Whether you call it a "rebuild" or not, when your program is a national joke, perceived as a P5 bottom feeder and you just fire your coach - it's a rebuild. It may not be a "complete reboot" but when your trying to rebuild a once respected program and brand that is no longer respected, it's a rebuild.
Perception isn’t reality, reality is reality.

Its really a function though of where you start..

Very few kids are coming out of the class d-c and doing all this extra stuff and getting a ton of value for it. You might get a few D3 offers from it

You move up in NY to class A and see something and on occasion the B kids find a way

But then if you have 20 kids on a team and every few years someone makes it thats great... I also think though a ton of kids who might have talent never get that far because of all this extra stuff they cant find money or time to compete and quit long before they ever show their talent.

In my youth coaching probably 25% of the better bball/baseball kids never even played much beyond the early stages because people valued sizea/aggression early on more than instincts or talent.

Read the 1st chapter (I think it’s the first) in “Outliers” by Malcolm Gladwell. Has a connection with what you were saying in at least the last paragraph. It’s also an interesting chapter if you like sports. Since there seems to be a lot of hockey parents on here it’s focused around how hockey teams are formed. You can find the pdf online to read. If anyone’s interested and can’t find it let me know, I have my Intro Sociology H.S. class read sections of the book, including that chapter.

Then why is no other team going after him? That I have heard of.
Perhaps if one of the other NE schools - Buttgers, UCon, Bc - were looking for a coach right now, someone would be. But another FCS team in the NE isn’t going to lure him away from HC. And he’s not the kind of guy a southern school would seek out.

Complaining about what? I don't remember complaining about anything. And I do care about Syracuse football. I just don't care whether or not that poster agrees with me.
This board desperately needs an official “Last Word” gif. May I suggest this:

04667E89-124F-4F28-92EC-2449BD8FB602.gif

It certainly looks like JW has a number of excellent candidates.
Mullen
Ches
Al
White
Doug
Lewis
And a slew of others.
JW will make a good decision. I do believe it's Al White or Ches with Mullen and Doug as long shots
This will be the hire that defines his tenure, with RED on top, thats for sure

I coached a travel sport for many years. One of the expectations for the team was that the kids played other sports and had other activities, band, drama, jobs, etc. We were never the best team, though we had our share of victories. But what a great bunch of kids.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom