Bob Chesney | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

Bob Chesney

Do you think Golden and Mullen could win at Holy Cross?
No, I don't think either of them could at this point in their careers. It's like Joe Morehead having a rough go of things at Akron. But of the two, Mullin is probably the more likely since he was at least able to be successful at MSU.

Then 11-2, then 8-5, then 5-6 and he was fired.
I wonder what the story was at Florida.

It seems almost impossible for that program to go 5-6.

On the other hand, how does Texas A& AM go 6-5 and how does USC go 7-5 with all of the money those schools pour into their programs?

I wonder what the story was at Florida.

It seems almost impossible for that program to go 5-6.

On the other hand, how does Texas A& AM go 6-5 and how does USC go 7-5 with all of the money those schools pour into their programs?

The only thing I'll look forward to when the B1G/SEC split really happens is to see all the former 9-4; 10-3 programs slip to 4-8 and 3-9. And I wonder what school will be the next Nebraska.

Then 11-2, then 8-5, then 5-6 and he was fired.
And now his replacement is going on his 2nd straight year of 6 wins (if they beat FSU this week). It hasn’t been easy to win at Florida since Urban left, and Dan gave them their best season since.

No, I don't think either of them could at this point in their careers. It's like Joe Morehead having a rough go of things at Akron. But of the two, Mullin is probably the more likely since he was at least able to be successful at MSU.
The coaches in the Patriot league are there to develop character in their student-athletes, very few of them get fired or have higher coaching aspirations. The coaches in the MAC are there to win football games and all want to matriculate higher in the profession.

Syracuse has a losing record of 27-62 since its joined the ACC and just fired it's coach because of his role in it. All the recent years of mostly mediocrity and losing - now decades long - have tarnished SU's proud reputation and brand as an Eastern football power.

There are currently no talented/promising QBs on the roster, very few returning players with All-Conference pedigree or potential, and outside of Gadsen (who's return is uncertain), Wax and maybe Allen, Stonehouse or DV - there are no clearly identifiable NFL prospects returning to the team.

If the goal is to compete for conference championships, this roster - with some but not enough ACC caliber athletes - is presently not good enough. The current roster needs to be fortified/restocked with better, stronger P5-level athletes, a P5 QB room, more impact playmakers on both sides of the ball and more talented/capable offensive (and defensive) lineman - there's just no denying it, the talent and depth on this team has to be rebuilt, from down in the trenches up to the quarterback.

Having a roster barely good enough to backslide into "two consecutive" lower tier bowls - hasn't happened yet - doesn't mean that this team is just a few moves away from competing for conference titles, playing in upper tier bowls or vying for a spot in the expanded playoffs - the stated goals.

So while it might not be a "complete" rebuild, it's still very much a rebuild - a rebuild of the roster, the program and SU's iconic brand/reputation - no matter how you label it.
Well, you got me there, Sonny. No school fires their coach when things are hunky dorry. So I guess there is some rebuilding. However, it’s not a complete rebuild. Most of those losses you reference were prior to the last two years. So I’ll go with mediocre team required partial rebuild.

all sports. if you grow up outside of any of the big cities in NY there are almost no kids going to anything other than D3 schools for the most part. And really many of those kids are not playing Lax/Hockey because small schools seldom play those sports.

I can only speak for lax (boy/girls) and that is patently false.

He's my top choice, by far.

The only ones I'm absolutely against are Golden and Mullen. Guys couldn't win at Miami and Florida, they're not winning at Syracuse.
Huh?

YearTeamOverallConferenceStandingBowl/playoffsCoaches#AP°
Mississippi State Bulldogs (Southeastern Conference) (2009–2017)
2009Mississippi State5–73–5T–4th (Western)
2010Mississippi State9–44–45th (Western)W Gator1715
2011Mississippi State7–62–65th (Western)W Music City
2012Mississippi State8–54–44th (Western)L Gator
2013Mississippi State7–63–5T–5th (Western)W Liberty
2014Mississippi State10–36–22nd (Western)L Orange1211
2015Mississippi State9–44–4T–5th (Western)W Belk
2016Mississippi State6–73–5T–5th (Western)W St. Petersburg
2017Mississippi State8–44–4T–4th (Western)TaxSlayer[a]2324
Mississippi State:69–4633–39
Florida Gators (Southeastern Conference) (2018–2021)
2018Florida10–35–3T–2nd (Eastern)W Peach67
2019Florida11–26–22nd (Eastern)W Orange76
2020Florida8–48–31st (Eastern)L Cotton1213
2021Florida5–6https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Mullen#cite_note-fired-37

[TD]2–6[/TD]
[TD]6th (Eastern)[/TD]
[TD]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Mullen#cite_note-fired-37[/TD]
[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TR]
[TD]Florida:[/TD]
[TD]34–15[/TD]
[TD]21–14[/TD]
[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Total:[/TD]
[TD]103–61
[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]
[/TR]

Huh?

YearTeamOverallConferenceStandingBowl/playoffsCoaches#AP°
Mississippi State Bulldogs (Southeastern Conference) (2009–2017)
2009Mississippi State5–73–5T–4th (Western)
2010Mississippi State9–44–45th (Western)W Gator1715
2011Mississippi State7–62–65th (Western)W Music City
2012Mississippi State8–54–44th (Western)L Gator
2013Mississippi State7–63–5T–5th (Western)W Liberty
2014Mississippi State10–36–22nd (Western)L Orange1211
2015Mississippi State9–44–4T–5th (Western)W Belk
2016Mississippi State6–73–5T–5th (Western)W St. Petersburg
2017Mississippi State8–44–4T–4th (Western)TaxSlayer[a]2324
Mississippi State:69–4633–39
Florida Gators (Southeastern Conference) (2018–2021)
2018Florida10–35–3T–2nd (Eastern)W Peach67
2019Florida11–26–22nd (Eastern)W Orange76
2020Florida8–48–31st (Eastern)L Cotton1213
2021Florida5–6Dan Mullen - Wikipedia

[TD]2–6[/TD]
[TD]6th (Eastern)[/TD]
[TD]Dan Mullen - Wikipedia[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TR]
[TD]Florida:[/TD]

[TD]34–15[/TD]
[TD]21–14[/TD]
[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Total:[/TD]

[TD]103–61
[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
I'm a little confused by it myself. Is top 5 every year you are there winning at UF?

Even in his "bad" last season where he was fired, 2 of their losses were to #1 teams. 2 weeks before he got fired they had a really bad loss at South Carolina, which was probably the catalyst for removing and replacing him. But I mean...they played 2 #1 teams that year for $%&%'s sake.

The only thing I'll look forward to when the B1G/SEC split really happens is to see all the former 9-4; 10-3 programs slip to 4-8 and 3-9. And I wonder what school will be the next Nebraska.
Oklahoma

We have the largest college IPF in the country, and we’re probably the only school with TWO indoor facilities.
Make that three if you include the old Manley Field House

The coaches in the Patriot league are there to develop character in their student-athletes, very few of them get fired or have higher coaching aspirations. The coaches in the MAC are there to win football games and all want to matriculate higher in the profession.

Lance Leipold had won everywhere he's been. D3 in Wisconsin to Buffalo to Kansas. Some guys just win.

I'm a little confused by it myself. Is top 5 every year you are there winning at UF?

Even in his "bad" last season where he was fired, 2 of their losses were to #1 teams. 2 weeks before he got fired they had a really bad loss at South Carolina, which was probably the catalyst for removing and replacing him. But I mean...they played 2 #1 teams that year for $%&%'s sake.
He was fired because he supposedly wasn’t willing to recruit. As a result, the boosters thought they could never win a championship, and fired him

Lance Leipold had won everywhere he's been. D3 in Wisconsin to Buffalo to Kansas. Some guys just win.
Liepold won like 7 national championships at Wisconsin-Whitewater. They are serious about D3 over there. Anyways, I want Chesney if he is going to run the same offense he ran at Holy Cross.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom