Bobby Hurley to Arizona State | Syracusefan.com

Bobby Hurley to Arizona State

I think this will turn out to be a good hire for them - a step up from Herbie at least. I'm impressed with Hurley as a coach so far even though he hasn't proven it for as long as I normally would feel comfortable before hiring him for a major job.

I think this will turn out to be a good hire for them - a step up from Herbie at least. I'm impressed with Hurley as a coach so far even though he hasn't proven it for as long as I normally would feel comfortable before hiring him for a major job.
Hopefully it works out for him. Traditionally it hasn't been a strong program. According to this article they have only been to the NCAA's seven times since 1976 with a record of 8-7. You would think just getting U of A's discards they would do better but it hasn't happened.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/tournament/history/_/team1/5232

Oh, I'll have to go to some games. Between an exciting name for a coach and the curtain of distraction, this will be a really fun place to game watch.

Hopefully it works out for him. Traditionally it hasn't been a strong program. According to this article they have only been to the NCAA's seven times since 1976 with a record of 8-7. You would think just getting U of A's discards they would do better but it hasn't happened.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/tournament/history/_/team1/5232

UCLA, USC, Cal, & Stanford are further up the food chain. San Diego St has been relevant in that West Coast recruiting scene also. Wonder where he'll concentrate his recruiting? Will he try to focus on making major inroads west or try to bring kids from his eastern recruiting contacts, westward?

UCLA, USC, Cal, & Stanford are further up the food chain. San Diego St has been relevant in that West Coast recruiting scene also. Wonder where he'll concentrate his recruiting? Will he try to focus on making major inroads west or try to bring kids from his eastern recruiting contacts, westward?
If you're a 18 year old kid from the East Coast and you aren't adamant aobut staying home...there would be MUCH worse places to go than Arizona State...

If you're a 18 year old kid from the East Coast and you aren't adamant aobut staying home...there would be MUCH worse places to go than Arizona State...
Like Buffalo or Detroit or Starkville Miss.

I like this hire. Herbie was a good guy (he paid for season tickets for all of us RAs- or CAs as ASU calls them) but he couldn't bring them to the next level, which honestly isn't all that high. I don't think Hurley will have any trouble bringing kids from the east to Tempe, if that's his strategy. It was very good to me.

So much for that big contract extension/raise at UB. You have to wonder why they even bothered since he was out looking before the ink was even dry.

I'm not sure that he actually signed the contract. It may have been at the agreement in principle stage.

OrangeAl said:
I'm not sure that he actually signed the contract. It may have been at the agreement in principle stage.
he didn't like the leak that they had an agreement when they didn't according to a buffalo news writer tweet

Wow college basketball one and two and done players and now one and done two and done coaches. Mercenary hired guns. Something I should know about.

And UB Basketball starts the long slide to irrelevance again.
Still have Moss and Evans next year, and Bearden made great strides. Wouldn't be surprised to see another year in the tournament as the core returns.

Still have Moss and Evans next year, and Bearden made great strides. Wouldn't be surprised to see another year in the tournament as the core returns.
Sad To say,but the Cuse would have had a hard time beating U.B. this past season !!!!!

Sad To say,but the Cuse would have had a hard time beating U.B. this past season !!!!!

Please.

If we could beat Louisville at home, and go on the road and Beat Notre Dame with Rakeem Christmas in foul trouble. We could beat Buffalo. And beat them comfortably.

Am I the only one whose immediate thought was, "Hmm, I wonder if they'll take a look at a coach like Gerry or, more realistically, Red for this new vacancy at UB..."

Am I the only one whose immediate thought was, "Hmm, I wonder if they'll take a look at a coach like Gerry or, more realistically, Red for this new vacancy at UB..."

Gerry, or more realistically coach Red won't be looking back at them.

Gerry, or more realistically coach Red won't be looking back at them.
Yeah, right. Okay guy. No young coach looking for his first head coaching gig would ever possibly look at a team that just made the NCAA Tournament as a 12 seed from a mid major, in an area they already know.

Good call.

Greg Paulus.

Yeah, right. Okay guy. No young coach looking for his first head coaching gig would ever possibly look at a team that just made the NCAA Tournament as a 12 seed from a mid major, in an area they already know.

Good call.
I bet they go after someone with a similar background to Hurley...someone from the NYC metro area, a younger coach with some upside that is affordable and hungry.

Autry might fit the bill. Or Griff for that matter.

Whoever it is, they should hire him fast. I would be concerned Billy will take some of the better Bulls with him to ASU.

It would be great if they could pry Danny Hurley from Rhode Island, but URI is a much better program in a much better league with far better fan support, tradition, etc. Can't imagine they could pull that off.

Why would Danny Hurley or any A-10 coach take the UB job. Who ever they hire it will be their first head coaching job or a Div II/III head coach.

Why not Sherry Dobbs head coach at Potsdam, already a SUNY employee. He has a record that fits UB history.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom