Boeheim’s Army Dead? | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim’s Army Dead?

SUFan44

Hall of Fame
No word of anything on this… I believe Weitsman had been involved with this… not doing it this year? Ever again? Kinda jumped the shark last year a bit but was always cool to see a group of former players getting back together.

No word of anything on this… I believe Weitsman had been involved with this… not doing it this year? Ever again? Kinda jumped the shark last year a bit but was always cool to see a group of former players getting back together.
Team is not listed on the TBT site.

No direct knowledge, but it would appear that fielding a team with aspirations to contend takes a LOT of work. Semi-full time off-season coordination to line players up and juggle logistics, with the process starting months in advance of when the tournament is actually played.

Outside of the 1 year we won, not sure that there is any payoff for the voluminous amount of administrative effort. So maybe our coordinator got tired of it.

Last edited:
Would be nice to see a team without all the non Cuse guys.

If Buddy and Swider don't have NBA deals for next year by the time it starts it could be a really good team.

No direct knowledge, but it would appear that fielding a team with aspirations to contend takes a LOT of work. Semi-full time off-season coordination to line players up and juggle logistics.

Outside of the 1 year we won, not sure that there is any payoff for the voluminous amount of administrative effort. So maybe our coordinator got tired of it.
Probably a lot of drama and politics as well considering over half the team isn't Syracuse players anymore which only leaves room for what 5-6 of our guys?

No direct knowledge, but it would appear that fielding a team with aspirations to contend takes a LOT of work. Semi-full time off-season coordination to line players up and juggle logistics, with the process starting months in advance of when the tournament is actually played.

I think there were some incentives with Weitsman. Believe there were some guarantees paid for the Rice/Sykes of the world to entice them to play. At least that was the rumor.

Don't disagree - tough to do logistically. Especially with changing of guard at 'home' institution.

Would be nice to see a team without all the non Cuse guys.

If Buddy and Swider don't have NBA deals for next year by the time it starts it could be a really good team.
That's the way it essentially was until the last few years, and many bitched about that. People seem hard to please.

I've lost interest the last few years, even the year they won it. Not enough ex-Orange guys, just a bunch of guys I never heard of. No ties or connection strong enough for me to watch.

Newer teams are going to keep popping up making original/dated brands move on. Plus the schtick gets old for fan bases I think.

I think many are dismissing the loss of Boeheim's Army due to the fact that the players who would be playing in it are now from the last 10 years of Syracuse basketball, which many of us don't want to relive as much as earlier eras and don't have as close of a connection with the players due to lack of success, short stints in orange, etc.

I think many are dismissing the loss of Boeheim's Army due to the fact that the players who would be playing in it are now from the last 10 years of Syracuse basketball, which many of us don't want to relive as much as earlier eras and don't have as close of a connection with the players due to lack of success, short stints in orange, etc.
Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

My interest has also definitely decreased a lot from the initial years. I was happy the year that we won and the players got paid but I preferred an all Syracuse alumni team.

I think they should change the TBT into a 3-on-3 tournament. It would be much easier to get form good full alumni teams with a maximum 6 man roster.

My interest has also definitely decreased a lot from the initial years. I was happy the year that we won and the players got paid but I preferred an all Syracuse alumni team.

I think they should change the TBT into a 3-on-3 tournament. It would be much easier to get form good full alumni teams with a maximum 6 man roster.
You got that adjustable rate mortgage?

Surprised to see so many dismiss it. I will definitely miss it if it's gone.

Same.

It was a lot of fun to root for former 'Cuse players over the summer timeframe, when sports in general are "slow." Really looked forward to those games, and enjoyed it.

I also preferred the team to win a couple of games, so that the stakes got higher.

The all-alum teams tended not to achieve that [maybe because the players weren't quite as "good" from that timeframe, or the ones who were good were getting long in the tooth by then]. But it wasn't quite as immersing to root for the mixed teams.

So I see both sides of it. But man -- it was fun to win it all that year!

And it sucked a couple of times when we'd lose the first or second game.

May need to change the team name to “Boeheim’s Salvation Army” based on the players they’ll need to assemble to form a team.

This gave me something to keep myself entertained during the worst sports months of the year. It’d be a shame if it died…even if most of the team is made up of “ringers” these days.
It isn't perfect, but it's something. And it's a veiled representation of our team. And named after a legendary coach synonymous with Syracuse. It's as good as you're going to get for basketball in July.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom