Boeheim - Ever The Diplomat... | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim - Ever The Diplomat...

Orange87

2nd String
Not only does he not provide bulletin board material, he effectively removes the possibility of it.

ny_post_logo.gif

Syracuse's Boeheim expects 'great' things from St. John's

By Zach Braziller

December 11, 2013 | 2:55pm

D'Angelo Harrison and Sir'Dominic Pointer celebrate during St. John's rout of Fordham.Photo: Paul J. Bereswill

St. John’s fans aren’t the only ones expecting the Red Storm to return to the NCAA tournament this March. Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim also believes the Johnnies will be dancing after a two-year hiatus.

“Absolutely,” Boeheim told The Post in a phone interview Wednesday afternoon. “I’ve seen a lot of tape on them. I think St. John’s is very good. I think they are much improved. They have a lot of good guys who are now veteran players. They were a good team last year, and they’ve gone up to another level because so many veteran guys are back. I think they are going to have a great year.”

St. John’s and Syracuse had a storied rivalry for years in the Big East. Though they aren’t league rivals anymore, Sunday’s noon game at the Garden is still heavily anticipated.

Led by senior forward CJ Fair and impressive freshman point guard Tyler Ennis, undefeated Syracuse (9-0) is ranked second in the country while St. John’s has won six of its last seven after Saturday’s impressive rout of improved Fordham. Syracuse won the lone meeting last year, at the Carrier Dome, 77-58, and has won 14 of the previous 15 matchups.

“It’s different, but it’s still a good rivalry,” Boeheim said. “I think it’s a good game for both teams. It’s an excellent game. That’s [what] you play in December, games that will help you. This will help both teams.”

The two teams are scheduled to play at the Carrier Dome next season, and Boeheim thinks they will continue the tradition in the years to come.

“I would assume that we’ll continue to play,” he said.

Not only does he not provide bulletin board material, he effectively removes the possibility of it.

Absolutely no reason to give the opposing team any shred of motivation by making some jack donkey comment.