Boeheim on Crean comment | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim on Crean comment

Chicken or the egg...

This could work exactly for criticizing JB for not allowing Creans blunt opinion (albeit wrong) or Otto not allowing JB's correct but very blunt opinion of Creans wrong but blunt opinion.

I am so confused.

Except that in this case one of the coaches has a clue and has the data to back their opinion up. And the other is just talking BS.

That shouldn't be all that confusing.

Love JB...you know the guy that doesn't defend his players...heh

there's a difference between not defending your players and going out of your way to trash them. See Roberson, Tyler.

Except that in this case one of the coaches has a clue and has the data to back their opinion up. And the other is just talking BS.

That shouldn't be all that confusing.

ehhh... Its still an opinion.

And anyway "data" is the ultimate language. It can say whatever you want it to say.

I'm liking this thread already

crean.png

there's a difference between not defending your players and going out of your way to trash them. See Roberson, Tyler.

You are looking at his wrong.

He defends his players when the facts support him.

"If I had anyone else TR wouldn't be on the floor", is his honest assessment.

By being this way when he defends his players it should have some credibility.

ehhh... Its still an opinion.

And anyway "data" is the ultimate language. It can say whatever you want it to say.

I don't know. 40% on 3 pointers as a Freshman and a sophomore sounds like "data" to me.

JB has always said we practice M2M because most of the defenses we see in games are M2M and there are M2M concepts incorporated into the zone.
I'm pretty sure he said, in the past few years, that we had stopped practicing m2m. "I might be wrong, but I doubt it."

Deservedly so.

Crean is an idiot. Glad JB put him on blast.

There are times when JB's pointed commentary makes me cringe, and / or suggest that he's out of touch. This isn't one of them.

This is how I feel. Some of his criticism of players makes me cringe also, so I'm not going to criticize him when he goes to bat for one of the guys. And while "he's an idiot" will get all the headlines, he did expand very well on why he felt Tom was an idiot with his commentary - so it's not like it was just a "he's an idiot" end of argument declaration.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure he said, in the past few years, that we had stopped practicing m2m. "I might be wrong, but I doubt it."
I know he said either last year or the year before they practiced against M2M for their offense. You can't practice against it if you don't spend some time teaching it.

I don't know. 40% on 3 pointers as a Freshman and a sophomore sounds like "data" to me.

and when he statistically probably misses his 1st NBA 3 - Crean could say "I told ya so!"

Im on the Crean is an idiot train - but you are still trying to silence his OPINION in the exact same way you are criticizing the poster for trying to silence JB's opinion. You can't have it both ways.

I love that he's willing to voice strong opinions. IMO we don't get enough of that anymore, we get the same canned statements from everybody repeatedly.

The world's a more interesting place with people like Jimmy B. I could care less about Tom Crean, F him.

I love that he's willing to voice strong opinions. IMO we don't get enough of that anymore, we get the same canned statements from everybody repeatedly.

The world's a more interesting place with people like Jimmy B. I could care less about Tom Crean, him.

"He's wrong" would be voicing a strong opinion. "He's an idiot" is an ad hominem attack that is beneath his stature.

"He's wrong" would be voicing a strong opinion. "He's an idiot" is an ad hominem attack that is beneath his stature.
Not to him apparently. And he gets to determine his own stature.

and when he statistically probably misses his 1st NBA 3 - Crean could say "I told ya so!"

Im on the Crean is an idiot train - but you are still trying to silence his OPINION in the exact same way you are criticizing the poster for trying to silence JB's opinion. You can't have it both ways.

The problem is that these two opinions are not equal and shouldn't be viewed as such. You seem to be missing that fundamental point.

Crean's on TV as a commentator and feels he has to say something. So he just opens his mouth and comes out with demonstrable BS. JB calls him on it.

I'm more than sick of so-called experts just saying stuff to have something to say.

Maybe, just maybe, JB's calling Crean an idiot might cause Crean and some others to maybe do some research before they opine.

I love that JB said this.

I still hate when he criticizes our own players. Calipari was pushing Briscoe at the Draft. Everyone knows Briscoe isn't an NBA player. Calipari knows that. Doesn't matter, he's still got his back.

I love that JB said this.

I still hate when he criticizes our own players. Calipari was pushing Briscoe at the Draft. Everyone knows Briscoe isn't an NBA player. Calipari knows that. Doesn't matter, he's still got his back.

So in your mind a highly visible coach saying something that everyone knows isn't true is a good thing?

Can you see how this might undermine and cheapen everything the coach says from that point forward?

So in your mind a highly visible coach saying something that everyone knows isn't true is a good thing?

Can you see how this might undermine and cheapen everything the coach says from that point forward?
A lot of people just don't care anymore. He might piss of guys in NBA circles, or they may know exactly what he's doing and just not care.

I guarantee when NBA personnel call him privately to talk about a kid, the answer's different. But that doesn't matter because the public perception is rah rah rah... it's earned him enough credit with kids that he basically gets whoever he wants.

I hate it, but I think that's just the way it is now.

Every coach does that. Calipari X1000. It doesnt seem to hurt any of them. Maybe, just maybe, kids don't want to go play zone all day for a coach who might not have their back when they decide to go pro.

I bleed Syracuse, but if I was a 17 year old kid recruited by Calipari, Wright and Boeheim...JB would be the last guy on that list I want to play for. Syracuse would be my "dream school", but if I'm a top flight recruit, I want to play some m2m here and there and have a coach that I know will hype me when I enter the Draft.

Clearly other aspects come into play.. Syracuse has a ton of exposure and puts guys into the NBA with extreme regularity but JB could be playing this advantage way more than he is. If anything, he's negating it.

Every coach does that. Calipari X1000. It doesnt seem to hurt any of them. Maybe, just maybe, kids don't want to go play zone all day for a coach who might not have their back when they decide to go pro.

I bleed Syracuse, but if I was a 17 year old kid recruited by Calipari, Wright and Boeheim...JB would be the last guy on that list I want to play for. Syracuse would be my "dream school", but if I'm a top flight recruit, I want to play some m2m here and there and have a coach that I know will hype me when I enter the Draft.

Clearly other aspects come into play.. Syracuse has a ton of exposure and puts guys into the NBA with extreme regularity but JB could be playing this advantage way more than he is. If anything, he's negating it.

"It doesn't seem to hurt any of them?" - How do you know that?

Playing M2M in college is somehow superior to Zone in preparing players for the NBA." - Not even close to being a fact. It certainly hasn't impacted the NBA's willingness to draft SU players.

Actually, there's not a single thing in your post I agree with.

"It doesn't seem to hurt any of them?" - How do you know that?

Playing M2M in college is somehow superior to Zone in preparing players for the NBA." - Not even close to being a fact. It certainly hasn't impacted the NBA's willingness to draft SU players.

Actually, there's not a single thing in your post I agree with.
There usually isn't anything you and I agree on so that's not surprising.

I've actually argued on here against people saying Cuse players have trouble translating defensively to the NBA by pointing out how we have players in the league purely because of their defensive abilities. Grant, Wes, MCW and even Dion has figured out how to be a pitbull defensively.

However, the 24/7 zone and JB's attitude are clearly affecting recruiting. I have no clue how you can argue otherwise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom