Boeheim retiring in 3 years, reportedly | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim retiring in 3 years, reportedly

I just hope JB gets the chance to coach at least 1 year with a shortened shot clock. I think it will make our zone D all the more effective.
And then if he would (never will) routinely apply soft pressure to the opponent bringing the ball up court, there would only be 20 seconds in a possession to break the zone.

Will UNC even have a basketball team in 2018?
We won't even be allowed to talk about them.
MV5BMTI4NzY0NTUyNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjEyODcyMQ@@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

I have been watching Syracuse basketball since 1980. I have to say I have nothing but the utmost respect for Jim Boeheim. He's put Syracuse on the national map. The basketball program is a monster juggernaut. All the great players. The 2-3 zone. It's really just amazing to have watch it develop all these years. I know I will miss JB terribly when he retires.

What I thought. OK, 50,000 at the Dome the Sat before and complete orange out at the Barkley Center for as long as SU is playing.

Maybe they should have his last game at MSG. It would be a total sell out!

What I thought. OK, 50,000 at the Dome the Sat before and complete orange out at the Barkley Center for as long as SU is playing.

Maybe a JB vs. Jay Z rap off at halftime? I'd be there for sure!

If the next coach is anyone other than Hopkins, I will be pissed! And thanks to cto for confirming when JB's youngest graduate in 2018. Perfect time for him to sail into the sunset with the kids out of the house. And then he and his lovely bride can spend his remaining years enjoying each others company. Pretty great life Jim has had and his hard work and dedication have paid off in spades for SU fans who have almost always had a competitive team to root on during the cold Syracuse winters. Let's Go Orange and thanks JB!

Last edited:
If the next coach is anyone other than Hopkins, I will be pissed! And thanks to cto for confirming when JB's youngest graduate. Perfect time for him to sail into the sunset with the kids out of the house. And then he and his lovely bride can spend his remaining years enjoying each others company. Pretty great life Jim has had and his hard work and dedication have paid off in spades for SU fans who have almost always had a competitive team to root on during the cold Syracuse winters. Let's Go Orange and thanks JB!

Perfect time three years from now.

I guess your glass is half full and mine is half empty.
I'm seeing the end of a long and successful era. As a Bills and SU football/basketball fan, I'm sad to see the one long term and successful coach of the teams that I follow gone.

Marv Levy wasn't a successful long term coach?

80% of success at the college level is good recruiting. Hop has been the lead recruiter for SU basketball for a long time. He brings in big time talent. He knows how to recruit. He knows the proven Syracuse system he learned from Boeheim. He will do a great job as HC and keep the program humming. SU is lucky to have him.
Very fortunate to have Mike Hopkins. Loyalty is my favorite attribute in people.

Marv Levy wasn't a successful long term coach?

Marv was at Buffalo for 11 years. JB was a grad assistant and assistant coach for 17 years prior to HC for 39 years and counting. Not even close in tenure between the 2 coaches.

While Marv was good, he also left 17 or 18 years ago and Buffalo has been a coaching carousel ever since.

Buffalo has been a coaching carousel ever since.

That would be one thing I'd be concerned about when JB leaves. We've had 40 years of stability. If not Hop, are we desirable enough in terms of the total package to keep guys from using it as a stepping stone to somewhere else? I realize that the number of places that would be viewed as better would be relatively small, but better is in the eye of the beholder. Just look at Marrone. People like to throw out flashy names like Smart, Wright, Hurley or Stevens as candidates, but I'm not sure I see those guys viewing this as a final destination if they were to take the job. What ties do they have to the University or the community and would we be able to put together the type of financial package that would keep them from being lured away to another higher paying position that they had no historical ties to.

Who will be the last regular season game? Now that he has set the deadline, I gotta think you put Georgetown on the schedule for the final game at the Dome.

Swofford and the ACC might have issue with that

That would be one thing I'd be concerned about when JB leaves. We've had 40 years of stability. If not Hop, are we desirable enough in terms of the total package to keep guys from using it as a stepping stone to somewhere else? I realize that the number of places that would be viewed as better would be relatively small, but better is in the eye of the beholder. Just look at Marrone. People like to throw out flashy names like Smart, Wright, Hurley or Stevens as candidates, but I'm not sure I see those guys viewing this as a final destination if they were to take the job. What ties do they have to the University or the community and would we be able to put together the type of financial package that would keep them from being lured away to another higher paying position that they had no historical ties to.
I have the same concerns and is SU willing to pay for a top tier coach. IMO JB was way under paid but he loves the Cuse and money isn't the reason he stayed.

He would be great at a TV commentator because he is such a student of the game. He watches far more games that most of those talking heads. However, unless it's a studio job, being a game analyst involves a lot of traveling to a lot of hard-to-reach places (such as Calhoun did this year). After all the traveling he will have done in more than 40 years (most of it on charters... and not puddle-jumpers to God knows where)... I really don't think that would be attractive to him. (Calhoun has broadcast games from some really hard-to-reach places this year).

I understand that Boeheim hates commercial air travel. (Who can blame him?)

That's one of the worst parts of working in television, and living in Syracuse wouldn't make that any easier. Have to think he'd rather not trek all over America to call games. Studio work could be a nice option, though.

Great points, especially the last line. We'd better hope that a) the next AD wants Hopkins and b) Hopkins has immediate and sustainable success.

Say what you will about Boeheim, but he's been excellent. What he's done will be impossible to replicate, we can only hope that Hopkins catches lightning in a bottle (again) and has a great 20-year run.

Great points, especially the last line. We'd better hope that a) the next AD wants Hopkins and b) Hopkins has immediate and sustainable success.

Say what you will about Boeheim, but he's been excellent. What he's done will be impossible to replicate, we can only hope that Hopkins catches lightning in a bottle (again) and has a great 20-year run.

I know it's kind of a blashemy but when the Orange were down by 8 playing Duke I had the following thought. Duke started running out the clock during one of their possessions and I found myself thinking this would be a really good time to do a full court press on the opponents side of the court...uh...dare I say it...play man-to-man!

don't think it's set in stone. wouldn't surprise me in the least if JB stayed longer or left sooner. too bad that his departure will still be linked to scandal.