Boeheim's candor | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim's candor

It really is sad. Providence is a great basketball town with good fans and history. In 20 years, it'll be a funny bit of trivia that teams like Syracuse used to play there nearly every season.

I'll miss them. Hopefully they start making bids for the NCAA subregional again.

I can't believe more people aren't sad about losing PC as a city. Fun place to party, pretty good fans, should be a much bette team with Cooley.

Yup. He already insulted Greensboro concerning the conference tournament. Off to a good start.

To be fair, I'm not sure anyone can take any offense to the statement that "greensboro isn't NYC" -- I mean, I'm sure they will, but I have no idea why.

So the suggestion is what, Jim?

That we cancel all of the changes in conferences so that you can eat at your favorite Italian joint in Providence?

It's a good think he's joking. I hope the ACC fans get the joke.

To be fair, that's about as good a logic as is actually behind most of the realignment moves.

Yes, I know that. I went to college too.

The data I have seen shows that gun violence is actually lower in States that have less restrictive gun policies. Of course, that's heavily influenced by all the gun violence in cities like Washington, DC that have very restrictive laws, but lots of gun violence. But the data remains the data with a high positive correlation between restrictive gun laws and gun violence.
As we all know, you can do anything you want with stats. Urban centers, have the most gun violence. They also have the most restrictive gun laws. and in this case, one has nothing to do with the other. But you already know this. How many gun deaths are there in england? You aren't allowed to own a gun there and presto, little gun deaths. Less than 40 last year. 40

I can't believe more people aren't sad about losing PC as a city. Fun place to party, pretty good fans, should be a much bette team with Cooley.

That too. Cooley's great. Night and day between how they defended last night and how they did two years ago with Keno.

again -- everyone is studying gun ownership and violent crime -- no one ever mentions all the accidental injuries/deaths resulting from having guns in the home. I can pretty much guarantee you there's no study that says gun ownership has no correlation to accidental death/injury by gun shot.

And, by the way, gun control being counterproductive is also a much different argument than guns make you safer.

I can find you studies that show almost anything. less than 40 gun deaths in england last year. Explain that.
Completely different history and culture. There were probably even fewer in Saudi Arabia.

Of course, if the plan is to somehow capture the 300,000,000 guns that are out there, then your "Lets be like England" plan has great merit.

But if you are operating in the world of reality, it's not so hot.

Completely different history and culture. There were probably even fewer in Saudi Arabia.

Of course, if the plan is to somehow capture the 300,000,000 guns that are out there, then your "Lets be like England" plan has great merit.

I basically agree with this but this is a much different argument than "guns make you safer." Is gun control unrealistic and/or counterproductive? Probably could make a very strong argument that it is. But that's a whole different issue and I'd say you could make a fairly strong counter-argument that even if we could only make it harder to get assault weapons, it would be a good thing. I mean, even if it costs a disproportionate amount of money to do it, it would have to be a good thing from a public safety standpoint.

I basically agree with this but this is a much different argument than "guns make you safer." Is gun control unrealistic and/or counterproductive? Probably could make a very strong argument that it is. But that's a whole different issue and I'd say you could make a fairly strong counter-argument that even if we could only make it harder to get assault weapons, it would be a good thing. I mean, even if it costs a disproportionate amount of money to do it, it would have to be a good thing from a public safety standpoint.

Jon Stewart went off about this two nights ago (finally got to watch it last night).

http://tv.msnbc.com/2013/01/09/the-...-right-for-dancing-around-gun-control-debate/

I agree with him. To do nothing and continue deflecting to other issues is just lunacy in my mind. How many more of these episodes will it take?

That's it. I swear I will post no more on this subject here on the bball board.

That too. Cooley's great. Night and day between how they defended last night and how they did two years ago with Keno.

I miss those old Providence teams, where we could hang 100 on them with about 15 dunks and they would shoot about 40 threes.

Side note...can the gun debate please be taken elsewhere and can someone delete all the gun posts in this thread??

Sure. Why not. Assault weapons are senseless in the hands of anyone but the military and law enforcement.

But let's not bullshit ourselves into believing we are any safer. Its an infintesimal fraction of the gun population. Banning assault weapons is political silliness. A sideshow brought to us by the frauds and four-flushers who "represent us".

Did I say anything about a plan to capture guns? Of course not. I simply challenge the premise that we are safer with more guns. Let me aks you this, this friday night, you go to a bar on M street. And half the guys in the bar are carrying guns. Feel safer?

At least he won't lose Louisville and Pittsburgh.. and he'll get Boston back. And we'll still play at least one game a year in NYC. But he'll probably miss Providence, Hartford, Chicago, Milwaukee, Cincy, Philly and some other spots where he knows restaurants. But it did not take him long to find the best Italian restaurant in SLC three years ago, so he will probably survive.

By getting Boston back, JB can take the whole team to Legal Seafoods again and be treated by its owner, an SU alumnus who was a friend of mine long ago. I was in Boston about a decade ago and arranged a meal there with my old friend; when the waiter came, he told him to put away the menu and get me some of x, y, and z made some special way. Apparently, he used to do something similar for the whole bball team when they were in town to play BC.

Sure. Why not. Assault weapons are senseless in the hands of anyone but the military and law enforcement.

But let's not bullshit ourselves into believing we are any safer. Its an infintesimal fraction of the gun population. Banning assault weapons is political silliness. A sideshow brought to us by the frauds and four-flushers who "represent us".

I agree that it is largely about political grandstanding and that statistically you can't round up a bunch of guns and say "GREAT! We're now 2.7% safer!!" To be fair, I'd support banning of guns of any kind but of course that's a pointless position to hold.

But this is sort of like the TSA stuff after 9/11 -- are we really "safe" from terrorist attacks on airplanes? Are we "safer"? No, probably not, but it appears that there were at least a few incidents that were foiled. Was it "worth" it? I don't know, but if you can prevent a tragedy even a fraction as devastating as 9/11 you at least have to try.

I think that's what we have here -- are assault weapons *the* problem? No, but it can't hurt to at least try and make access to those tougher and access to firearms a bit more involved in general. I mean, it can't hurt. Sure, your neighbors kid might still use paint thinner to make a bomb to take to school or somehow even get himself a gun -- but I don't think you can use those as reasons not to at least try to do something.

ed306aa6_Hijack-DeNiro.jpg

Did I say anything about a plan to capture guns? Of course not. I simply challenge the premise that we are safer with more guns. Let me aks you this, this friday night, you go to a bar on M street. And half the guys in the bar are carrying guns. Feel safer?

Let me give you another --- more likely scenario --- you are in Dallas after midnight prowling the alleys for a house to break into to support your drug habit. More than half the homeowners own guns. How are you feeling?

Versus, you are in Darien, CT where no one owns a gun and is horrified guns are even legal in the US.

Jim knows the best Italian restaurants in every Big East city... and every NCAA site we've visited. I'm sure he will find them in Clemson (if Clemson has Italian restaurants).

And now I'm dying for Italian.

Anyone else hungry?

Me!! Are you buying?...I have been trying to find a good italian restaurant here in Panama City.

Sure thing. We have 2 good ones up here in Burlington, but they aren't close to Federal Hill or the North End of Boston.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom